Car Audio Basics

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
While the fronts aren't as important as the rears, I'd never remove them completely... Just running a cheap pair of *anything* off the deck will fill the rear sound stage and help balance out the entire car... when people don't run rears at all, they generally end up tuning the fronts to over compensate. Ideally, you don't want to be able to actively "hear" the rears from the fronts, but there should be a barely audible difference/change when you toggle between on/off...

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Ive never had to "tune" the fronts to compensate Reece. I have run without rears in my cars for close to 10 years now with no need for them. It IS a personal preference, its kinda like wheels etc, everyone likes something different.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Oh absolutely. It's definitely personal preference and each to their own... What works on one car may not work on another either, even with identical set ups.

You can't approach a wagon the same way you would a ute either.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I've tried running no rear speakers, and it does seem like something is missing, especially when the rear passengers complain they can't hear the music.

I agree with what someone else said; you shouldn't really notice the rear speakers as most of the sound will come from the fronts. But you will notice it when they aren't there. It also depends on the car. The difference they make will vary depending if you have a sedan, hatch or wagon.

For me though, not having any rear speakers just seems cheap. How many times are you going to have the same conversation when people get in the back and they ask why there are holes in your parcel shelf with no music coming out, only to explain you're an audio expert and it sounds awesome up the front where they can't hear it.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
The answer is to have no rear passengers Steve.. :p For us the dog doesnt need her own speakers.. lol

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I always have rear speakers. BUT they only are turned on when I have rear passengers.

Quintenperren

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Quinten Perren
Drive
Legnum
Hey guys, where are some good amp spots ? I got one under the passenger seat but I can find a good spot for another one

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Ive had one under both seats, but in a legnum I prefer them in the tray above the spare wheel.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Keep in mind the ventilation is not good under there. If you have a digital amp then no worries but if you've got one that's likely to be making a bit of heat, gotta consider how that is going to receive fresh air to keep temperatures reasonable.

As Jeremy said you can go under both seats too.

The_Giefster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Evo 5 + Motorbike
I installed my AMP where the old CD stacker used to be. I just made a bracket and mounted it vertically.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Keep in mind the ventilation is not good under there. If you have a digital amp then no worries but if you've got one that's likely to be making a bit of heat, gotta consider how that is going to receive fresh air to keep temperatures reasonable.

As Jeremy said you can go under both seats too.

If I did attempt this, might chuck two PC fans to circulate air. One push the other pull.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I never had fans in my Legnum and my amps were fine. Even when loading one to below its rated resistance and kicking its ass... My other half however managed to thermal an amp out in the open air....

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
PC fans would certainly not hurt your cause, only a few bucks for a little bit of help.

I never had fans in my Legnum and my amps were fine. Even when loading one to below its rated resistance and kicking its ass... My other half however managed to thermal an amp out in the open air....

Yeah it's pretty lucky dip I think, build quality means a lot more than ventilation in the end. Some amps are destined to fail miserably. I just prefer to feel like I've done my best to help keep it from dying in the arse where possible!

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
So im after a bit of advice, bloke before me has replaced the front tweeters with a pair of kickers, which sound pretty good to me, but seem to really overpower the stock mid ranges, coupled with a 12" sub in the back i just cant fill out the mid range. I'm just running off the head unit, and am looking for a <$150 solution. Any recommendations for a 6.5" set for the front? Or should I really invest in a sepparate amp for them? Wouldn't want to spend over $200 second hand on a fix including an amp.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Also, there is a bridged 4ch amp in the back running the sub, not sure if i can/should wire that to run the front speakers?

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
You could do that depending on how big the amp is. If its powerful enough why don't you run all 4 front and rear off it. It would be a bit more powerful than the amp in the headunit.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Yeah, might do that, get a momoblock for the sub, run the 4 in the car from this.

Anyone in Sydney able to give me a hand with wiring it up when I get the components sorted? Can pay in beer.

Top Bottom