ECU flash vs piggy back ECU

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I was going to get a piggyback eventually but now that we can flash, I'll get my ECU flashed (pretty sure it's a 7202 as my car is a '98 model). Still some way off in my plans though.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
When i spoke to meek about the flash originally they said don't bother with the piggy back as the flash does the same thing. Leans out the mixture and runs more boost etc and is only $300 rather than the $500ish for the piggy back and then tuning costs. They did suggest doing all breathing mods before the reflash(intercooler +piping and 3inch turbo back exhaust)

$300? Well I've done all those breathing mods already.. Maybe I'll head out to Meek :) So they'd be able to do good stuff for me now yeah? haha

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hmm... I will be interesting to see some pre and post ecu flash figures.

I had this idea that once tuned I could tweak the haltech myself pretty easy for future mods... but I guess there is no reason I couldn't do the same via the openport cable and a re-flash.

I have a '99 model so I think that puts me in the basket for having the right ECU as well.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, i am glad hugh have raised this topic. I am sort of on the same thoughts about ecu flash or piggy back.

Well, i am not sure if my ecu is flash-able yet since mine is 97 model and someone told me it is 701 chip. If i can source the chip for a good price, then it might eb worth it.
I think one of the greatest con of the ecu flash is that you can not actually "tune" it specifically for your car. depending what mods we got. we will never bring the full benefit. If we decide to change our minds and go bit further with our cars, we need after market ecu anyway.
Just like me, where i thought boost controller will do me, then i got exhaust done, then now i am saving for hard pipes and intercooler. Probably do more stuff to it anyway.
Good thing about it is that it is cheaper than ecu piggy back and can get it done quickly.

I originally bought apexi s-afc I (i know.. it is not as refined as II) to reduce the fuel consumption and bit more power. needs dyno tune and probably cost me sort of $300~$600. and also lets not forget, we can not to ignition timing on safc.

ECU flash? i think meek's told me in around $350 margin

Piggy back probably cost about $1000 for install and dynotune as well + the cost of ecu (second hand, around$500?)

so it is about $1150 cheaper. We can think with all the money saved, we can do other mods. well, if thats the case, we really need after market ecu to bring out maximum potentials of our mods anyway.

So i guess piggy back would be a personal choice if i want to gain more than 200kw. i anything less, perhaps just ecu flash.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Actually Jono, I haven't personally seen the extent of the VR4's stock ECU map, but I know that with a lot of other cars, being able to remap the stock ECU will actually give you a lot MORE control than anything other than a quite expensive high-performance ECU replacement. There is so much you can alter and often quite fine control with a stock ECU, without having to change sensors all over the car.

So IF you have a 7202 chipped ECU then I suggest you'll get better results from remapping your stock ECU... As long as you don't need to KEEP tuning it due to upgrades over and over again. If you expect to need to retune again and again, a piggyback or ECU replacement is what you'll need. If you're going for big power with extensive mods then ECU replacement is your only sensible option. If you don't have a writeable ECU, then your decision's made for you really ;)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hey travor, i think you have a very good point there. I think i need more experience on those thins by the way. on my way to my mechanic now for a quick look up at my altenator (booked in for friday at meeks but i need the car tomorow night so..) and while i am there, i will pull out my ecu and see what it is.
I agree with the part where you have stated that ECU flash is good in the way where "There is so much you can alter and often quite fine control with a stock ECU, without having to change sensors all over the car. ";)

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
oh'oh, I can see some mis-conceptions creeping into the discussion here.
Let me try and clarify a bit.

While there are a LOT of parameters that have not been found, that wont matter to most VR4/LEGGY owners as they will want the factory parameters in place.
The factory has already made the car nice to start/warmup/drive afterall.

The parameters that have been found are whats required to tune for more power and economy.
As an aside to this, probably not much more will be defined as we are into the realm of diminishing returns.
To hard to find and not realy needed!

So, fuel and ignition maps, boost-cut, injectors, idle, lean spool and (some) knock plus a few other esoteric tit-bits. Thats all you realy need, enjoy!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
So, fuel and ignition maps, boost-cut, injectors, idle, lean spool and (some) knock plus a few other esoteric tit-bits. Thats all you realy need, enjoy!

That's not quite all we really need... we also need reliable, affordable tuners within easy reach of every VR-4 owner lol

:D

Top Bottom