Forged Engine Build Pics

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
The picture I was referring to was the image in my head of you guys breaking the hss tools.
Nothing wrong with the phasing hub image.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Adam clear your inbox- can't send you pm

Disregard, email sent!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Right will have to post this here for now as it seems my membership has lapsed and I cannot start a new thread about it but the first full cut of the adjustable cam gear centers was completed tonight.

This cut was done from a scrap piece of 2-1/2" alloy I had lying around hence why some of the cuts go off the egde of the stock. The final part will be 75mm diameter

the alloy "hat" bolts onto the front of the cam, and a modified stock cam gears bolts onto the back of the alloy hat. this allows the outer cam gear section to stay in its stock position (ie all timing marks lined up as they would normally) but allows the cam to be adjusted throughout 20 cam degrees of movement 10 advance, 10 retard from stock position. the alloy hat spiggots into the front of the modified stock cam gear to ensure everything runs true and on center. and the modified section of the stock gear still locates on the snount of the cam for the same reason.
the PCD of the adjuster bolts is the same PCD as the screws that hold on the cam angle sensor pick up plate on the front exhuast cam. this means the same alloy hat can be used for all 4 cams, instead of having 3 with one hat and the front exhaust one having to be different

Will be getting some 3" alloy and making the first proper set tomorrow hopefully.

Now, pics! keep in mind this is an unfinished prototype hence why there are no adjuster bolt holes drilled and tapped yet. nor is the alloy hat the correct size as it was a test piece to ensure @smohekey and I had out machine code correct.

20140902_185919.jpg

20140902_201624.jpg

20140902_201639.jpg

20140902_201648.jpg

20140902_201716.jpg

20140902_201727.jpg

All going well. pending some actual in engine testing I should have these for sale in the near future, will also be looking into getting them annodised black depending if the annodisers are cheap enough. cheap and easy soloution to those Works engineering gears which don't seem to line up correctly.
@jungle @AKKO

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
How much for a set if I send you my old gears?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ill have to see how long it takes to make a set, and what the material cost is but cheaper than the works ones for sure. and I'd be more than happy to dial them in before posting them too

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Will be making the adjustable cam gears next week. Didn't manage to get across town this week to get the alloy unfortunatly. but its all go next week because its going in the car next saturday!

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Need an address to send my factory ones too ;-)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Any update on the cam gears Adam, How'd they go?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
no luck. the alloy had to come from the other end of the country and didnt arrive this week, so fingers crossed it's here Monday.
Don't worry, I will post updates as soon as the first one is made.

However the forged motor is fully assembled with turbos, clutch, gearbox etc etc and come 10am tomorrow it will be lifted into the engine bay of the car and fired up shortly after. 50+ pics and some videos to come...
Stay tuned

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
right its midnight here and I'm f**kn' rekt after days working on the car getting it all sorted. so im just going to dump pics here and give a breif description of whats going on.

We got the car running no worries. fired first pop!
It had a airlock in the coolant system so got hot when we took it for a short drive around the road, let it cool off and limped it back to work let it cool off even further then we sorted the airlock. after sorting that we ran it again and unfortunatly the Idle mixtures were off the scale lean so we called it a night as it was 11.30. and will look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow evening after work. and update again

On a massive plus side the Idle sounds god damn amazing with the nasty big cams in it!

The pics are in order, from when we first had the old engine out. through detailed photos of the TD04 manifolds, then the engine re-assembled and ready to go back in.

will get some more pics and a video of the idle tomorrow if we can sort the fuel pressure and mixtures out.

DSC02485.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02487.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02490.jpg

DSC02491.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02493.jpg

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02498.jpg

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

@trotty Here are the pics of his TD04 manifolds I promised you a while back. hope this helps.

Top Bottom