whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Don't post any more videos due to the above reason.

Hell, keep 'em coming!!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
no dyno date planned as of yet. just got the car up and running tonight so Carl is going to tune it himself for the run in (he tuned it on the previous 315kW-atw setup) then after a the bank recovers from all the install costs (braided lines, oils, fittings, FPR etc etc) it will be booked into NZEFI for a full dyno tune so we can go all out and see what a pair of 13T TD04's max out at ;)

injectors are some random no-name brand carl got for next to nothing, 560cc but they will be replaced with ID1000's hopefully before the final tune.

The alloy for the cam gears showed up on the doorstep of work this morning so will be making at least one center on the mill tomorrow. still need to buy cap screws and washers to fasten the alloy centers to the stock belt carrier ring. but will post here once one set is finished. hopefully I can knock a set out this week and install them onto carls engine this weekend when I re-torque the head studs.
Nice plan.
Look forward to seeing what the 13T's run out of puff at.

I know you're busy, any expected time frame on the cam gears for the rest of us peasants :rolleyes::whistle:

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
well will be doing my best to finsh carls set this week. and all going well with those ill put some time in after work next week to make some more.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Eh, didn't have to flare stock hardpipe, only cut it. But your solution with the actual correct thread would be better - I just couldn't find one in time.

if I didn't have it in time, I would've don't the same thing, but since I haven't started on mine, that adaptor should work well as it has the inverted flare within that adaptor

The Quartermaster P/N for the bearing was 710045, at a lovely (ouch) $269USD. But clutch feel is real nice, so can't complain. Except for the whole having-to-learn-to-drive-again part.

thanks for sharing the part number...

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey Nice penis!:wtf::sneaky:(y)

Looks the goods- let me know when you want funds!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
After a car free weekend I got back into it today

Picked up the cap screws, washers and nuts for the adj gears today.
20140929_134311.jpg

Cut the last 2 machined sections from the lump of alloy and completed the front bank exhaust gear
20140929_190018.jpg

20140929_190055.jpg

I welded the nuts onto the back of the trigger plate on the front exhaust gear, because stock the trigger plate uses 4 screws to hold it in place. however these threads are now used for the adjuster cap screws. the same cap screws that hold the alloy hat onto the stock belt carrier ring go all the way through and hold the trigger plate on now via the welded on nuts. (rubbish explanation I know but hopefully you guys get the point from the photos.
have the finished adj gear next to a stock gear for comparison.

20140929_190039.jpg

20140929_212413.jpg

20140929_212437.jpg

20140929_212457.jpg

20140929_212514.jpg

Will try and finish the other 3 gears tomorrow and get into making some cap washers (the washers used in the below pic)
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/230720458623_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

then off to the annodisers for a price to annodise them black and powdercoat the gears black too

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Stoopid question time.

Are there any concerns about balance on the spinning gears with the hand welded nuts attached? Each nut would have a different mass of welding rod and it wouldn't be distributed perfectly evenly.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
no filler rod added. just tacked the nuts on the back as they only hold the pressed sheet metal trigger plate on.
balance isn't an issue with cam gears as they spin half as fast as the crank and don't weigh bugger all. not like a flywheel

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Stoopid question time.

Are there any concerns about balance on the spinning gears with the hand welded nuts attached? Each nut would have a different mass of welding rod and it wouldn't be distributed perfectly evenly.

That was the first thing I thought too.

Half as fast as the crank is still up to 3500RPM. Even a small weight at that speed could have an effect?

I guess the hard bit of balancing is that every time you adjust them, which wouldn't be often, you'd throw it out a touch?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'm just wondering how you'd notice if it was a problem. Given how heavy everything else is, would you even detect any increased vibration from the cam gears? The only symptom could be shorter cam bearing life, which you wouldn't know about for ages.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
There is no need to balance the cams nor the cam gears.
any imbalance in the cam gears would be negligible compared to the imbalance in the stock cams. like most factory cams the 6A13TT cams are cast. which means the core is never central to the axis of rotation anyway! which would cause a much larger imbalance than a few grams of half nuts tacked onto the back of a pulley.

Also Scott is right, there are no cam bearings. the cams run directly in the head. and you would need some pretty serious vibrations/harmonics to cause damage to the cam journal surface in the head.

TL;DR balance on cam gears doesn't matter

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Cool stuff. Carry on then lol

(I was honestly just wondering, really. You guys know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I do)

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
mookers said:
(I was honestly just wondering, really. You guys know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I do)
You would hope so! considering this is what I do for a living. :)

Top Bottom