Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
So far when my car was auto it used less fuel than what it does now being a manual haha

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
that is why i am aiming to get the most economical performance car.. Anyone can go fast or do a whole bunch of mods to go fast and chew fuel whilst doing it... But to achieve economy and performance is the ultimate goal.. Real racers try to achieve this because they do not want to be filling up all the time and then the other guys are passing them whilst they are in the pits.. Not to sound like a cheap bastard but my goal is to try and achieve something good looking and fast and economical... Even if I just use legnum as the weekender... Unless there was a way of getting 7L/100 out of a vr4 in the city in normal driving and not going WOT at all.

7L/100 city driving is a bit of stretch in any 90's performance car of this size. The figure itself is doable, both auto's and manuals have managed 7's on long highway stretches. You just need a well maintained car. In the city/suburbia it depends more on traffic/trip length/duration/driving style.

Do your performance mods - full exhaust, intercooler, intake, lowered suspension, get it tuned and just lean out the cruise/low load side of map and you'll notice a difference.
Taking things further, grab a manual, lightest wheels you can afford, more eco centric tyres (save sticky tyres for the track) and lighten as much of the car as possible.
At the end of the day it all comes down to you.
Plenty of guys running in the 9-10L/100 section which is pretty awesome for close to 200 atw

I can manage 12L/100 on alk and my car still needs some love.

Ultimately your car. your choice

Get a light 2wd car....

Might be the best option for cheap. At the same time its initial & running costs could go towards mods and fuel.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
exactly why i got a lancer.. 5.5L per 100kms :p if i really decide on slapping turbo on it, it'll only be a light tune.. as want my economy and have a bit of push... when needed

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
Good economy is measured in both driving attitude and driving conditions. And city driving kills economy in my experience, I can get between 550-610kms out of 55lts when driving under my normal conditions ( 50-50 highway/winding country roads ) But when I have some fun those figures drop sharply. Steves tuning has help me out greatly with the leggys performance/economy, but have to agree if you want better not the right car for the job.

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
I was kinda thinking of slapping in some hydro cells or going LPG... well at least my dad was... He drives at least 1000Ks a week easy. But as you mentioned lowering seems to help yeah?? ok well I think I will have to lower it some then and by how much is the most optimum?? But really want to keep the leggy.

The GOLF looks like a good choice or for fuel economy and power. or I was thinking the Turbo Colt..

My Old Vr4 was pretty economic... the 4G63T VR4 even with full mods I felt was still cheaper to run than an un modded 8g. I was running Microtech ECU, forged pistons, TDO5 20G, Genie system injectors etc,running 18psi,, and was killing everyone when I went WOT.. and I ran it hard most of the time and still was a bit more fuel economic then the legnum at normal granny driving.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
The figure itself is doable, both auto's and manuals have managed 7's on long highway stretches. You just need a well maintained car. In the city/suburbia it depends more on traffic/trip length/duration/driving style.
It is doable? I have been on here for a while now and have never ready about anybody getting into the 7's even on highway stretches. 9's are considered low and I have read about a few lucky enough to get into the 8's.
My cube gets 8L/100km on the highway with its 1.4L automatic, but its about as aero dynamic as a sailing boat.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
If you are already thinking about getting another car, save yourself the pain and jump ship to a ralliart colt or diesel golf if you are doing over a 1000km a week. Yes, lowering helps with aerodynamics. With our 4WD stock height, could probably drop it an inch. Don't expect a huge gain from that though. Look through brads old post on this discussion: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?4978-Mods-for-Fuel-Economy&highlight=economy

It is doable? I have been on here for a while now and have never ready about anybody getting into the 7's even on highway stretches. 9's are considered low and I have read about a few lucky enough to get into the 8's.
My cube gets 8L/100km on the highway with its 1.4L automatic, but its about as aero dynamic as a sailing boat.

Probably a few odd posts in this 150 page thread that have those figures. Thread linked above has someone lay claim to a 7.4L/100. I know I've done a flat 8L/100 in the past. I think Kitty's VR4 was pretty good too, 8-10l/100 with an auto

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I've definitely done low 8's

casuarina26

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Phil
Drive
2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 125TDI, 02 Hyundai Elantra
Galant was been Sold
I've gotten a flat 9L/100, out of my auto Galant

Can vouch for the diesel as being the way to go if you are after economy I have just purchased a Skoda Octavia RS with the 125kw diesel from the Golf GTD [the diesel form of the Golf GTI] with a 6 speed DSG gearbox [I can hear Brad crying already] last fillup I had done 870km on 51Lt of diesel = 5.8L/100

I still have the Galant

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!

Yes, a few have gotten into the 8's and even the low 8's, most of them manual.

Going back to the old days, I could be mistaken, but I recall Kat getting into the high 7's. At the time, I think Bradc was surprised at this, saying something like his non-turbo Legnum was in the 7's!

I've done 8.22L/100klm in a stock, un-tuned VR-4 and that was in summer with air con on, albeit with all highway driving.

I think it's possible to get into the 7's if everything goes your way but IMO, that's not how VR-4s are meant to be driven!

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I've done low 8's myself (driving to and from work (Avalon to North Parramatta), and when my girlfriend was borrowing my car for the week (Avalon to Randwick (non peak hour driving)) her refill was 7.89L/100, so the numbers are achievable if you drive like a 24 year old female who usually drives a Getz. The question would be do you want to putt around at 5KM/h under the speed limit in a car with 200KW ATW?

Keep in mind my car has had a shit ton of work done to it lately though, so my engine (and car overall) is running great!

When I'm doing my usual commute speed (10-15 above the limit in most areas) and swerving in and out of slow pokes I usually run around 11-12L/100.

If anyone wants to call bullshit, happy to swap car for the week and you can see the numbers for yourself :)

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I usually get 11-12 too if driving what I consider normally. Though slow driving and under revving lowers numbers drastically.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I'm calling bullshit:p
When, filling the tank, then driving on a highway non stop, only pulling over to fill up again? That's a bit unrealistic yo

Where in the rules does it say how it has to be driven? At least I didn't fill up at the top of Mt Victoria and then drive down to sea level and fill up. Anyway, I managed a mid six in the rex running stock maps and no oxy sensor running 0.95 lambda on cruise driving a round trip with stops and traffic lights and everything. Was driving pretty gently though.

Top Bottom