Limp Home Mode

G

Unregistered
Need some help guys.
!999VR4S auto owned car 4months Driving yesterday,auto changed around corner, felt like something slipped.Car went into what appears to be limp home mode. Auto wiil engage reverse and drive, car moves forward and appears to change but immediatley closes down when 1500rpm is reached,and sounds like something in the trans is slipping I don't have any code scanning gear.there is no display or lights flashing on the dash I am in Sydney south west Any advise please
Thanks Merv:confused:

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Try a ecu reset. Disconect the battery for aprox 15min, then reattach it and see how the car goes. When was the trans fluid changed?? Does not sound good though. You could also try emptying the trans sump (5l approx) to check if there are any metal bits broken off from inside the box

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would check the colour of the fluid as well by pulling up the ATF dipstick. If there isn't any oil then you should fill it to the correct level using Mitsi SP3.

If it doesn't get any better after that (and an ecu reset) then I'd be doing what David said, dropping the sump and PRAYING my arse off that there is no metal chunks in there.

G

Unregistered
Hi guys.Fluid looks ok.level is ok.Does not smell burnt

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Reset the ecu, then dump the sump contents into a clean bucket just so you can pour it back in afterwards if you want to.

G

Unregistered
any idea what would could cause this. Would it be advisable to have codes scanned first before disc battery

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Do the battery, it won't hurt anything. Also check your AT fuses.

Limp mode can be caused by a few different things. It doesn't sound like overheating. There are a couple of sensors that may have failed as well -

Throttle position sensor
Output shaft
Input shaft

Start with the battery and fuses though, as I would assume that where your problem lies.

Good luck :)

G

Unregistered
Would you know fuse numbers and location Thanks

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Did you just want me to drive over and fix it too? ;)

I'll take a look man and post back shortly....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
It should be the trans one next to your right knee when your driving.... I couldn't find a picture, sorry :(

G

Unregistered
Thanks I maybe a bit slow,but my hand book shows fuses and doesn't show a A/T fuse or lacation

G

Unregistered
Hi Dimi I will get some fresh oil and change to morrow and investigate the fuses
If at worst the box has to come out Can you recommend a trans guy who has the knowledge on these boxes

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Make sure it's Mitsubishi ATF SPIII or Amsoil SPIII, anything else will cause more problems. If you've had the car a short while do you know if it was freshly imported? The fluid may have been drained and refilled at compliance with incorrect fluid.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I think Castle hill motor sport rebuild dimis

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Also try contacting MEEK. They can service our auto boxes now, plus they have a contact who is a master at automatic gearboxes. I forget his name, but owns a rare Monte Carlo HH VR4 automatic.

G

Unregistered
Thanks for all the advice guys Car is going back to the dealer to-morrow on a tow truck. As it has some warrantee left on it i decided not to touch it my self at this point.I now know what questions to ask and what to look for Will let you know the outcome
Cheers Merv

Top Bottom