Oils, Greases And Fluids For Your VR4

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
i would go zero on the cold end in winter months. or 5 maybe, never 10 though

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
30 is Ok 40 better

G

Unregistered
A correction for the specified manual transmission fluid amount required (first post says 2.7L), workshop manual says 3.0L.

manual-trans-oils.png

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Has anyone used redline ATF? I'm thinking about running it in my AT gearbox and possibly AYC. Supposed to be able to handle higher temps.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Guys Is using ATF as recommended for the power steering fluid correct?

G

Unregistered
Standard Mitsubishi ATF 2 is recommended in the Japanese workshop manual, I'm pretty sure this is Dexron 2 so any similar Dexron 2 or 3 ATF should be fine. Optionally Mitsubishi sell a genuine power-steering fluid if you prefer to go that way.

EDIT: USDM manual says to use Dexron ATF.

The Japanese manual mentions ATF SP 2 (or SP 3 now) is specifically not recommended.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I'm using Mitsubishi sp3 in my power steering... Seems to work fine... I think sp2 is different to sp3

G

Unregistered
SP 3 supersedes SP 2, and wasn't around when the manual was written so that's why it only mentions SP 2. Either way, they are not the same as Dexron which is the recommended fluid type.

G

Unregistered
Quick question where can I get some power steering fl on a Sunday sunday in western sydney.

G

Unregistered
Would this penrite 0-50 be alright tp run in my galant over winter? Or the nulon 0-40
Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-01-49.png
Screenshot_2014-05-16-17-40-26.png

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Was it ever decide which of the two Ryco filter was the go...?

G

Unregistered
Z56B Is the go isn't it? Pretty sure that what I have always used on the Legnum.

Guys Is using ATF as recommended for the power steering fluid correct?
I have had ATF SPIII in my P/S for 30'000kms and its been fine. I use it in the Evo P/S too.
I am not saying it's recommended, but I haven't had a problem and don't recall anyone else having one either.
PERSONALLY I would imagine it was just a money grabbing thing like "GENUINE AYC FLUID" for $70 odd a L that's the same as SPIII.

Has anyone used redline ATF? I'm thinking about running it in my AT gearbox and possibly AYC. Supposed to be able to handle higher temps.
I know this was an old question, just thought I would mention I used Redline in the Evo and my Gearbox HATED it, went to shit and ruined my shifting after about 3,000kms. I did a bit of research into it and read up on it causing problems for as many boxes as it is perfect for, so it seems its a bit of a gamble. I wouldn't risk it unless you know others who have gone before with no Dramas. If you want better than Mitsi oil, use Amsoil :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I used the Z56B in my car but when I installed a sandwich plate I was worried about clearance so I swapped to a Z142A, it has almost all the same dimensions it's just an inch shorter.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Would this penrite 0-50 be alright tp run in.
I would use the Nulon 0w40 or 0w30. For higher viscosity oils "pour ability" over a wide range of temperatures reduces the life of the oil. Also a 50 weight would be too thick for our engines. Remember that in the 0w for instance the "w" stands for winter and therefore the oils pour ability at low temperatures is maintained!

Leggy98

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jayden
Drive
1998 legnum vr4
image.jpg
Just checking that this will be fine for the power steering before I put it in

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Okay,

I got a question just regarding the auto gearbox oil, now my car is abit older (7th GEN) and i spoke to Mitsubishi and told me the SPIII is the proper oil to be used in the auto box, now with Dexron III i did use it and was fine (i think) but i am now having gearbox problems (not going into Drive) after replacing it.

Ive got the mechanic to pulled the box out today, would the Dexron III caused this on the gearbox ? I only ask is that i used a similar oil when i brought the car and didn't have troubles for years.

I don't get it, im worried that SPIII might not be the right one, i know the guy recommended it from Mitsubishi but is it correct one even thou my car is older ?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
The muppets that did the compliance on my Super put Dexron in the auto box. Shuddered like a motherf@cker.

SPIII all the way. MEEK used BP Autran SP3 as well which I never had any problems with.

Top Bottom