Oils, Greases And Fluids For Your VR4

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
Anyone know if anyone of the oils on sale (they are having some good ones!) from supercheap or Leggy happy?

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Nulon 10w-40 or 30.
Both are on a very good price for 6l at the moment from supercheap.
I have been using them for the last 2 or 3 years, and are e85 compatible :)

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
Im running 5w30 nulon with no lifter tick awesome stuff.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Likewise I have been running nulon 5w30 now for close to 40000kms. I want to do a UOA (used oil analysis) next change too.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Im running 5w30 nulon with no lifter tick awesome stuff.

I told ya it was good stuff joshy, I am also goin back to the Nulon when this royal purple meets the end of its life. Just works great for keeping them little tappers quiet.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I was running 10w 40 but I was getting lifter tick so A discussion with Dan persuaded me to go to 5w 30.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Ditto to all that have been using Nulon... have used it from day 1.

Switch between 10w-40 and 5w-30 depending on the season.

random101

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dj
Drive
97 Legnum
I bought two bottles today (6Lx2) for $77 not to bad :) might stock up on some more

deanb90

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dean
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Type S
I only use nulon in my cars. Big fan. There treatments are also fantastic, I use gearbox treatment in all my cars, you can really notice the difference.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Bought 4L for when i do my driveshaft etc, wasn't cheap!

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Last service I switched from Penrite 10ths 5W-30 to 10W-40 and noticed the return of my constant lifer tick. The only reason I moved away from the 5W was due to really low oil pressure on start up, feeling it probably wasn't adequately protecting the engine when cold. Would something like a 10W-30 be too thin as a rule of thumb? I thinner hot visc may quiet them down but would I be running risk of extra wear and tear on cars this old?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Last service I switched from Penrite 10ths 5W-30 to 10W-40 and noticed the return of my constant lifer tick. The only reason I moved away from the 5W was due to really low oil pressure on start up, feeling it probably wasn't adequately protecting the engine when cold. Would something like a 10W-30 be too thin as a rule of thumb? I thinner hot visc may quiet them down but would I be running risk of extra wear and tear on cars this old?

The first number can never be too low IMO - as 5Wxx cold is much thicker than xxW40 is when hot if that makes sense :) The only downside seems to be that the greater the spread between the two numbers (EG. 0W40 vs 10W40), the quicker the oil breaks down and thins - have a Google search if you're interested in why that is.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you bought a thicker oil to try to raise the oil pressure when cold?

FYI - I use Mobil 1 0W40 which is basically no thicker than most 30 weights when hot (they rate these things with a bit of leeway so it could be classified as a 30 or a 40 weight) and don't have lifter ticking issues which used to occur sometimes with Synpower 5w30

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
The switch was made just because I was informed a 5W weight may be a bit too thin. The lifter tick has only really come back when running heavier weighted oils, but I'm starting to think the brand of oil is playing more part in it too, as you said.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
The 10 TENTHS 5W-30 is what I've usually been running, and am more than happy to go back to... It doesn't seem to last as long though.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with the brand - but the 10W40 is probably too thick (when hot and cold), and it could be argued that the 5W30 is a bit too thin when hot as it is on the extreme thin end of what can be called a 30 weight. It would probably be perfect for a cooler climate, but given the temps your oil is likely to see on those hot 40+ degree days in traffic it may pay to go a little thicker.

The whole viscosity rating scheme is a bit silly, the 10 tenths 5w30 is thinner when cold than Mobil 1 0W40 for instance (and by a reasonable margin).

How are you judging how long it lasts BTW?

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Yeah, I'm following you. Surprisingly this is the first time the visc changes over a larger range has actually clicked and made sense, so cheers for that :p

I don't have much to base the lifespan on apart from just noticing the audible changes on start up after 5,000km. It's entirely possible it could be any number of other factors too. I might give the 0W-40 a shot and see how I go.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Quick check of oil condition is a water surface tension tension test. If the oil when dropped in a glass of water stays as a bead it is Ok. If it disperses across the surface of the water it needs a change. Got this info from machinery lubrication website produced by the Noria Corporation.

Top Bottom