Oils, Greases And Fluids For Your VR4

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
For all you guys after Amsoil products, you can get them here:

PerformanceLub
sales@performancelub.com
Based in Melbourne but he will ship interstate.
When I enquired, I was quoted $27 per quart of Amsoil SVG or MTG 75w90.

Ozmotorsport Performance
vyrtex@bigpond.com
Based in Wollongong and will ship
I was quoted $23 per bottle for the SVG/MTG

Hardparts
allan@hardparts.net.au
Based in QLD but will ship. Had the most expensive shipping.
I was quoted $21.90 for the SVG and $23.20 for the MTG.

Johnny
uber.drive@optusnet.com.au
Based in Padstow, NSW and does pick up
Was the cheapest if you can pick up in Padstow.

kevin

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
david
Drive
2001 VR4 legnum
thanks Macca i think that especially the auto trans fluid and engine fluid are important. does anyone know his way around the specs of these oils? for instance the shell spirax S4 ATF HDX has a viscosity (at 40°c) of 33.2mm²/s would it be better to search for and oil that is thinner or not? (lower number) as well as the point of ignition at 152°c, might be better to have an oil that keeps up to 200°c

kevin

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
david
Drive
2001 VR4 legnum
i'm just going throu the tech specs of some oils... turns out that 5W30 has different viscosity depending on the brand and type of that brand so it would be great to have a good technical discussion about the oil. what viscosity is needed and why... depending on the outside temp.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
does anyone know his way around the specs of these oils? for instance the shell spirax S4 ATF HDX has a viscosity (at 40°c) of 33.2mm²/s would it be better to search for and oil that is thinner or not? (lower number) as well as the point of ignition at 152°c, might be better to have an oil that keeps up to 200°c
It's not all about viscosity, there are many other factors in ATF fluid.
Use only Mitsubishi SPIII fluid or another recommended on here if you can get it.

As well as the point of ignition at 152°c, might be better to have an oil that keeps up to 200°c
If your atf catches fire, something else is already seriously wrong.

i'm just going throu the tech specs of some oils... turns out that 5W30 has different viscosity depending on the brand and type of
that brand.
Are you sure? '5W30' is a standard measure of viscosity at 2 different temperatures, not sure why it would say different on the tech specs.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
i'm just going throu the tech specs of some oils... turns out that 5W30 has different viscosity depending on the brand and type of that brand so it would be great to have a good technical discussion about the oil. what viscosity is needed and why... depending on the outside temp.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

"One thing that is no longer important is the ambient temperature. Older automotive owner manuals often recommended one oil for the summer and another for the winter. This is still necessary for air cooled engines but is no longer a consideration in pressurized water cooled engines"

kevin

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
david
Drive
2001 VR4 legnum
http://www.lubonline.fr/documents/fiches-techniques/11/HELIX ULTRA ECT 5W30.pdf
http://www.lubonline.fr/documents/fiches-techniques/165/FT HELIX ULTRA PROFESSIONAL AF 5W-30.pdf
http://www.lubonline.fr/documents/fiches-techniques/99/shell_AR-L.pdf

these 3 links are to technical specs for shel 5W30... you will find verry different viscosity... last one is recomended for diesels but then again if the number "5W30" would mean that it is all the same... that should not matter... just saying there is a lot more to oil then just having the right number... why would Macca state to get only mitsi or SHELL oil... if it came down to just the number, even the cheap low end oil would do...

i would like to know if sombody could give me the tech specs of the oils that are best for the VR4 (espacially the viscosity is important)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Honestly, oils have been debated way too much and most of us are sick of it...
The recommended trans oils are based on trial and error, the ones listed have been found not to break the gearbox - if you want to try something different be our guest, let us know how it goes.
As for engine oils, we have found what works best for us, and everyone has a preference - but for certain Australia is very different to France, so don't take what we say as gospel.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
The Mitsubishi ATF has friction modifiers that is crucial to the correct operation of the transmission in particular the clutch packs. As for engine oil each manufacturer has its own recipe of additives. This is confusing for the consumer to understand. Firstly I would only use fully synthetic in turbocharged cars. And stick to the recommended viscosities. Only buy reputable brand oils too they will last longer. I regularly get subscriptions from machinerylubrication.com and I am sure this topic is covered on there. If I have time I will have a look but if you are interested in greases and oils, even maintenance best practices for that matter go deep fry your brain.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Has anybody used Atlantic engine or know of anyone who uses it?
I can get this at trade price because they supply us with our gearbox oils, greases and hydraulic oil. It does the job for industrial applications but purchasing supplies us with Atlantic purely because it is cheaper. We used to use Castrol and BP oils. At the moment I use Nulon only but am considering the switch. I will be comparing additives before the switch. Plus you can get this in 10l, 20l, 50l and 100l drums.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
How much coolant do these cars require for a flush with the factory radiator?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
~8L depending on if its premixed etc iirc

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Anyone know if SAYC diff's use the same oil quantities as normal AYC?

I don't like the fill-till-spill method, it seems so inconsistent.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Is GL4 Plus suitable for our manual gearboxes? I know not to use GL5.

I've been using Castrol Syntrans but it's getting harder and harder to find these days.

I've only found one reference to Penrite's GL4 Plus full synthetic gear oil (Pro Gear I think?). That was on @frozen 's GTO posted about 18 months ago, but no conclusive followup.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
I use redline lightweight shockproof (blue papa smurf goodness) bit on the expensive side but damn good oil

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I use redline lightweight shockproof (blue papa smurf goodness) bit on the expensive side but damn good oil

That doesn't answer my question though :(

I don't really want to run all over Melbourne looking for unicorn blood to put in my gearbox. If the Penrite stuff is suitable I'm going to try it.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Is GL4 Plus suitable for our manual gearboxes? I know not to use GL5.

I've been using Castrol Syntrans but it's getting harder and harder to find these days.

I've only found one reference to Penrite's GL4 Plus full synthetic gear oil (Pro Gear I think?). That was on @frozen 's GTO posted about 18 months ago, but no conclusive followup.

I used it in the Galant as well.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...cuzW-JiZ4UlI3FMng&sig2=w3Rp6j0nnwKew7N_e5wokQ

Under one of the tables they mention it can be used where ever GL4 is required but meets certain manufacturers additional requirements, but remains a GL4 oil. I'm no expert, give no guarantees, but it's worked beautifully for me

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
anyone know what filter for the Automatic Transmission the external filter?

Top Bottom