[QLD] Dyno Day - 19 Jan Results Discussion

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I suggest you replace those factory intercooler pipes.. when i had mine.. it seemed like they were gonna pop.. unless it was actually just my pipe's condition..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
That's an interesting comparison of your factory boost levels vs the MBC controlled boost of Christian and I.

Christians power curve is also a lot less 'curvy' than ours e.g. it goes up to max power then sort of levels off and holds from 4500 to 6000 where as yours and mine curve up to max power then drop off.

Lee

G

Unregistered
Great video there Lee ..
Still want to know if Naughtica has tuned his SAFC ?
These cars have heaps of power if only they were about 600kgs lighter ... lol

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
That's an interesting comparison of your factory boost levels vs the MBC controlled boost of Christian and I.

Christians power curve is also a lot less 'curvy' than ours e.g. it goes up to max power then sort of levels off and holds from 4500 to 6000 where as yours and mine curve up to max power then drop off.

Lee

I think that's an indication of the larger intercooler piping.
One thing the graphs don't show is any evidence of "Lag". Might have been noticeable on Christians. Certainly not on mine with the standard intercooler, pipes and boost.

Did you have a look and listen to the photos and vids off my camera?

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Video is great mate, you dont need anything more than that for these purposes!

Well done!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Lee, thats exactly what happens with an increase in boost, huge amount of power increase in rev range and not much extra at high rpm. You can really see the difference in power between your graph and Christian's.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so were u surprised ? i don't get it ?

Hey ur SAFC isn't even tuned yet is it ?

I was surprised that I got 167kw out of it.. I was only expecting around 130-140kw.. I based it on Lee's previous dyno run..

Great video there Lee ..

unfortunately I haven't tuned the S-AFC yet.. I'm a little worried that once I do get it tuned without replacing the restrictive exhaust.. I might end up having major problems.. which I dont wanna experience..

but.. my hands are getting a little itchy and what I might do is.. I'm gonna have a little play with the SAFC's air/fuel correction/setting since Lee already sent me the AFR graph.. at least I got something to look at for a minor change/corrections

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Lee, thats exactly what happens with an increase in boost, huge amount of power increase in rev range and not much extra at high rpm. You can really see the difference in power between your graph and Christian's.

206KEKA.jpg

Brad, looking at the above graph.. seems like Im running a little lean from 4000rpm towards 7200rpm..

so.. what I was thinking in my safc.. I'll do some corrections in the following revs..

3000rpm (-1%)
3200rpm (-2%)
3600rpm (-2%)
3600rpm (-1%)
4000rpm (0%)
4300rpm (+1%)
4800rpm (+1%)
5200rpm (+1%)
5800rpm (+1%)
6200rpm (+2%)
6800rpm (+2%)
7200rpm (+2%)

or should I leave it alone and NOT stuff it up?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Did you have a look and listen to the photos and vids off my camera?

Yeah I checked them out - the sound on your videos is much better than mine!

The power is definitely there from nice and low down, my maximum torque was about 3500rpm.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
nahh you want it at about 11.5:1 ideally, so take fuel out from 4000rpm upwards.

Don't do it without a wideband sensor though, you'll make it go pop!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Pete.. I really like the look of your car.. are you thinking of putting Brembo's in there in the future?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Not sure if the budget will stretch to the Brembo's but the first item on the mod list is a brake upgrade. Was thinking of the DBA and green stuff combo considering I'm not going to do any track work. Then maybe a boost increase with the next tune, to ensure that the timing is spot on. After that a FMI and then the interceptor. All depending on the availability of $$$. Definitely brakes first then the others as they come.

G

Unregistered
Yea I think if your goiing for more power then the brakes should be done first as they are not that good to start with for what sort of car we have.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Great video there Lee ..

Hey Paul

no its not tuned, just hooked up....aparently

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Boost cut isn't actually reached at a certain level of boost- its set off via the air-flow meters which is sensing too much air being sucked in the turbos which is then spitting it into your engine.

A more efficient setup will allow you to have the same amount of power, but with less amount of air being used and therefore a higher amount of boost being able to be dialed in to make more power, without boost cut being activated.

Looks like you guys had a great day! Real strong community you got going on! Keep up the good work!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
206KEKA.jpg

Brad, looking at the above graph.. seems like Im running a little lean from 4000rpm towards 7200rpm..

or should I leave it alone and NOT stuff it up?

Kristian, WTF lean, dude it's in the 10's?!? With <16psi i'd be aiming for 11.8-12.0 with the standard timing. But i'd do it on a dyno as you can't hear the start of detonation. If you can hear it plainly, its way tooooo late.
Again this doesn't mean you've destroyed your engine, it may be completely fine and the ring lands have copped a hammering, but i'd do it on a dyno.

One thing to note though is that see your AFR's are "leaning out" just after 6400? I don't know what the stnadrd injetors are rated at, but it could be that they're starting to max out and or fuel pump as well.

If i were you' i'd do the exhaust first then tune it, that you are only paying to tune it once. Something to consider.......yes yes i know you want to do it now but:ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom