naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey Paul

no its not tuned, just hooked up....aparently

yah its hooked up and configured.. NOT tuned.. when you first hook up the SAFC you have to configure it to your car.. (eg. how many cylinders, throttle closed/open, etc.) but the air/fuel mixture is set to 0% all the way..

Kristian, WTF lean, dude it's in the 10's?!? With <16psi i'd be aiming for 11.8-12.0 with the standard timing. But i'd do it on a dyno as you can't hear the start of detonation. If you can hear it plainly, its way tooooo late.
Again this doesn't mean you've destroyed your engine, it may be completely fine and the ring lands have copped a hammering, but i'd do it on a dyno.

One thing to note though is that see your AFR's are "leaning out" just after 6400? I don't know what the stnadrd injetors are rated at, but it could be that they're starting to max out and or fuel pump as well.

If i were you' i'd do the exhaust first then tune it, that you are only paying to tune it once. Something to consider.......yes yes i know you want to do it now but:ROFLMAO:

I hardly drive my car past the 4500rpm.. just sometimes on good cold nights.. when there aren't too many dickheads around..

I will do the smart thing and leave it alone for the time being because I need the funds elsewhere.. got something more important coming up.. also yah I will be doing exhaust first before I get it tuned..

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Great vid Lee.

It is interesting to see that they left the bonnets up during the dyno run. All of the dynos I have been to (and on) always shut the bonnet.

Hmm :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
most of the time VR-4's do lean out as they get past 6500rpm, it's just a standard thing they do

G

Unregistered
1999 Facelift Galant VR-4 Type V (Stock)

Brocky-x_190108_Torque.jpg

141.3kw @ 5800rpm
340Nm @ 3840rpm

Brocky-x_190108_Boost.jpg

10.5psi @ 5600rpm

Brocky-x_190108_Airflow.jpg

Which are figures im really happy with.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
It is interesting to see that they left the bonnets up during the dyno run. All of the dynos I have been to (and on) always shut the bonnet.Hmm :p

This was the first dyno I'd witnessed but not the first car I've owned which has been dyno'ed and I thought the same thing.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Did anyone notice their speed at redline in third. I know I didn't I was to busy watching the monitor.
Also did any one actually get into their car and try and put there seat belt on. I asked (can't recall his name) if many people do it and he said it happens all the time. When I got in it felt like I should buckle up.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Well even though people can run faster than my car it was a great day! Thanks for Lee for organising! I am going to have to change my nik to something like VR4Rock ....I was a bit disappointed at a low reading but this maybe due to not having a proper tune up etc...not sure if this will help at all... I have videos and pics but will have to get them on the comp later in the week.
I am getting my front mounted intercooler in today but will have to start looking at inteceptor or something to bump up the power.....see if I can get over 152kw then I would be happy!

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I wish I was there... Looks as tho it was a good day.

Christians power curve looks very different to most curves that I have seen (read - very little experience). It rises to maximum power than just levels out... a little unusual?
Maybe it is very boost related. After the boost peaks so does the power. After the boost lowers and steadys the power remains faily constant.

I think it would be good to see the graphs of the following;
1. An Electronic Boost Controller set to around the 15psi that is constant accross the rev range. This would show if further gains are to be made with higher boost later in the rev range.
2. Lees car redynoed with his Manual BC set to peak at 15psi to see if his car would perform exactly the same as Christians.

grr... now I am really annoyed I couldn't attend.

Mike

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I really think that Lee's car got the best mod with the least money spent.. $50 for around 30-40kw..that would mean my safc only made about 10-15kw extra on top of the MBC.. maybe Im wrong..

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Mike - we tried to get you to come along, it's not our fault you put your bathroom before the VR-4 :)

Christian, I think the MBC is only getting me 10-15kw. That is the difference between myself and Brock and the only difference between our cars is my MBC (and my colder Greddy plugs) and his Ralliart muffler.

I'm am very tempted to turn the boost up a bit now :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Not really, APC suggested colder plugs when I took it in for a service and asked if I wanted to spend an extra $3 a plug on getting Greddy iridium plugs. I was feeling generous so I said yes :) I'll go and find the receipt and see what it says.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
This dyno day and the results is a good way for us all to finally quantify it all. Maybe some of it should go to the relevant guides?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Mike - we tried to get you to come along, it's not our fault you put your bathroom before the VR-4 :)

Christian, I think the MBC is only getting me 10-15kw. That is the difference between myself and Brock and the only difference between our cars is my MBC (and my colder Greddy plugs) and his Ralliart muffler.

who else got stock boost on that day? I assume Pete still is on stock..

I'm am very tempted to turn the boost up a bit now :)

I'd say turn it clockwise for about 2 more mm's.. also did you tighten that nut in there?

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Yes Christian on stock boost and wont be turning it up until I get the pinging (timing) sorted. Car is due for a service soon so I'll get new plugs and have the timing adjusted.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
most of the time VR-4's do lean out as they get past 6500rpm, it's just a standard thing they do
Hey Brad,

Just wondering what are you basing the above comment on?

Can anyone tell me what the standard injector cc rating is??

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
This was the first dyno I'd witnessed but not the first car I've owned which has been dyno'ed and I thought the same thing.

I've never seen a car on the dyno with the bonnet shut.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I wish I was there... Looks as tho it was a good day.

Christians power curve looks very different to most curves that I have seen (read - very little experience). It rises to maximum power than just levels out... a little unusual?
Maybe it is very boost related. After the boost peaks so does the power. After the boost lowers and steadys the power remains faily constant.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest that Kristian has reached the flow limit of the exhaust and more likely his CAT. As i don't have my car yet i can't comment on what the cat is like...yet I will remove it when i get the car and investigate. I would be putting a CATCO metal cat with a 5 inch body. They are a very good unit and comparable on price.

Top Bottom