[QLD] Dyno Day - 19 Jan Results Discussion

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
I've never seen a car on the dyno with the bonnet shut.

they must do it differently up there :D

all the dynos I have been on have had the bonnets down.

It would make for an interesting experiment to see if there is any different readings.

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M
bugger...

Hey guys, Very dissapointed to jump on after being away for 3 weeks and finding out about this :banghead:. Especially seeing as though I was on the goldy all weekend too. Oh well, fit shappens.

Has been very interesting seeing all the results too, so thanx for putting the info up, and thanx for the vids and pics too.

Cheers,
Damo

p.s. My mbc should be arriving in the next day or two, now if I can just resist the temptation untill the boost guage is in.....

damo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Damo
Drive
98 VR4 Galant 5sp M

It would make for an interesting experiment to see if there is any different readings.

It would be more interesting if someones fan belt gave way at 6k+rpm!!!!!!!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey Brad,

Just wondering what are you basing the above comment on?

Can anyone tell me what the standard injector cc rating is??

Found them, for anyone interested they're rated at 390cc.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Mike,

I'd suggest that Kristian has reached the flow limit of the exhaust and more likely his CAT. As i don't have my car yet i can't comment on what the cat is like...yet I will remove it when i get the car and investigate. I would be putting a CATCO metal cat with a 5 inch body. They are a very good unit and comparable on price.

Having found that the injectors are rated at 390, this is quite a decent flow rate from the factory.

This should see around 180-200ish kW before they run out of flow.

So i would suggest again without seeing the ex maifolds that it's probably combination of cat fuel pump and exhaust pipe causing the restriction

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
With an increase in fuel pressure they'll handle 225kw at the wheels, but 210 is more like the comfortable max.

The fuel pump is at it's max earlier though, at around 190kw, and we've seen a few in NZ fail as well.

The leaning out at high rpm is something that happens with all stock tune VR-4's though. It isn't dangerous at all, it isn't like 13:1 or anything, very few cars get above 11.5:1 at the top end of the range. The main thing really is taking fuel out in the mid-high range, typically from about 4500 to 60000rpm the cars run very very rich

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6

Wouldn't the "bonnet up" be of benefit to the guys running pod filters as it's not having to suck in as much pre-heated air.

I agree it would be interesting to try
1. a. Pod - Bonnet up
1. b. Pod - Bonnet down
2. a. Air Box - Bonnet up
2. b. Air Box - Bonnet down

All on the same 2 cars. Then compare the results.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Simon - The restrictions is probably one of the causes, but I also think the falling boost is the other main factor in Kristians flat out the power curve.

Peter - With the pod filter I would think it may make some difference, but
would you be concerned about 2kw max gain or loss whether the bonnet is up or down. I would not expect any change with a car that has the standard air box.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Peter - With the pod filter I would think it may make some difference, but would you be concerned about 2kw max gain or loss whether the bonnet is up or down. I would not expect any change with a car that has the standard air box.

Not concerned at all just curious to see the differences in the figures.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hey Lee; Accolades to you mate awesome job with the camera work. Actually made me a bit home sick... I can't wait to get back down to Vegas and hang with you guys!!

Great to hear everyones comments re power gains and the most effective methods. Hope to teach a few of these Nissan drivers up here a lesson in Skyline territory & show 'em how its done:mad:!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Simon - The restrictions is probably one of the causes, but I also think the falling boost is the other main factor in Kristians flat out the power curve.

Peter - With the pod filter I would think it may make some difference, but
would you be concerned about 2kw max gain or loss whether the bonnet is up or down. I would not expect any change with a car that has the standard air box.

Hi Rasi,

I would bet my left nut, the boost dropping off has no effect. Having seen many dyno graphs of standardish car over the years, this seems to hod true- rather it'll be a restriction of some sort of which i've alluded to.

Also the whole bonnet up/down thing i would suggest is only concerend with cars that may have a tendancy to get hot on the dyno. Remember that there are a number of leads running from the engine bay to the dyno and i guess it's easy access to leave it open.

Also a rule of thumb is, everything being equal, a 5 degree temp drop will see ~1hp change

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
hmm not quite right ... how do i get the proper link up? I was looking for a "How to" on here somewhere

G

Unregistered
hmm not quite right ... how do i get the proper link up? I was looking for a "How to" on here somewhere

The link works so im not completely sure what your trying to do ... but if you go to FAQ and search for bold, you should come up with this

"Are there any special codes/tags I can use to format my posts?"

And down the bottom of that it says this

"For more information about vB code, click here."

If you click there you should have all the information you need. Alternativly you could click there.

OR

Down the bottom left of this page where is says posting rules, click on vB code

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Lee,

did the guy's at the dyno place ever give you any further details, costs etc on there interceptor.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I emailed them a couple of days ago and am waiting on them to get back to me. I'll chase them up next week.

I think if someone is willing to be the guinea pig for a VR-4 install they will get a good deal. You should have got an email from them suggesting this today. I would love to but would be drawn and quartered by the wife-to-be if spent more than $5 on the car at the moment :)

cheers

Lee

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'm thinking about it. But I got 2 problems. 1. no ready cash and 2. got to get it past Mel. I know which is the bigger problem

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hee hee hee.. one of the reasons why I'm still single.. :D

Lee.. can you find out how "good" the deal can be if my car is used as the "guinea pig"

hehe but seriously.. I admire you guys.. you got your priorities set straight..

Top Bottom