Real world car alarm differences

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Ok, so I am about to purchase a car alarm; I was heading down the road of the Autowatch 446 premium w/ 4 button remote from Audio Express; but then I came across this:

http://www.viper.com/P-5702V/Viper+...de+Sst+2-way+Security+And+Remote+Start+System

I have heard a lot of good things about viper alarms, then also alot of bad.

I understand under Australian insurance policies you need a approved car alarm for it to make a difference for your claim; but I am looking at the features of the viper and it is pretty up their.

Can any one offer some real experience advice on viper vs Autowatch alarms?

I have read the alarm thread carefully, and understand Autowatch is the favorite on here; my question is how does the 446 stack up against the viper 5901.

Thanks in advance everyone

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I have an autowatch one, it has a built in turbo timer and 3 point immobilizer.. it seems to work, have had my alarm go off a couple of times.. once from a fricken egg (yay to the western suburbs) and once cos of a stupid cat (it sure gave the cat a fright).. it doesnt seem to go off cos of loud exhausts (tested with a very loud Evo) so it's not overly sensitive :p

I can try and find what model number i have if you want..

G

Unregistered
I have one of the Viper alarms on my GTiR. Remote start, shock detection, glass detection, level detection, etc. Easily the best alarm I've ever had on any of my cars. If somone even knocks the tyre it'll give off a few short beeps to warn them away, if they do it again it'll go beserk!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
yeah Kris sounds like what i had with my Viper, i had the top of the line with the remote start and everything, tilt sensor so if you jack the car up more than a couple of mm the alarm goes off, it was great :D

AFAIK - its not up to australian standards because the wires are colour coded. Sorry :p

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Another Viper alarm here too. Love the functions and features, just dont like the idea of having to pay $250 for a replacement remote and that the remote chews through batteries.

Otherwise its awesome, even plays a little tune when you reset the remote :D

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
Thanks everyone for the input. After further reading I decided to go with the Autowatch 446RLi Premium.

Chris from audio express was helpful even with my stupid questions.

Will update further after its installed.

G

Unregistered
yeah Kris sounds like what i had with my Viper, i had the top of the line with the remote start and everything, tilt sensor so if you jack the car up more than a couple of mm the alarm goes off, it was great :D

AFAIK - its not up to australian standards because the wires are colour coded. Sorry :p

Yeah this was the case for a while, I'm pretty sure they've changed that now though. I think all the latest models come with black wires with coloured tips that you're meant to snip as you install...

Eitherway, awesome alarm. I was thinking about getting another one for the Legnum but all my spare cash is being fed into my GTiR rebuild at the moment :(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
OoOo so they are up to standards now?! i know what alarm ill be getting, hands down!

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
Yeah this was the case for a while, I'm pretty sure they've changed that now though. I think all the latest models come with black wires with coloured tips that you're meant to snip as you install...

Eitherway, awesome alarm. I was thinking about getting another one for the Legnum but all my spare cash is being fed into my GTiR rebuild at the moment :(

they aren't you know. the only one that does is a 480VX and thats only partial black wire. I use those where I do a balls and all alarm and need to comply with oz stds. last one I did was in a 24v hino bus and it controlled everything that opened/closed and moved. ($2600 btw!)

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I thought they needed all black wiring to pass the insurance approval standards?

Bad-Karma

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
I've had Autowatch alarms in 2 of my previous cars and never had any issues with them.

They used to come with passive immobilisers that needed the fob that goes on your keys to be near the steering column/point of the dash otherwise it wouldn't disarm which was always a good idea in my eyes.

I've currently got a Brant in my Leg which is another reputable brand.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
*Update*

Got the AutoWatch 446rli premium. Chris from Audio Express did the install. So far, I can't be happier; system is fantastic! Chris did a fantastic job, no problems from start to finish. Friendly service and great product! Any questions at any point Chris was more then happy to answer no matter how noob they were.

The alarm itself:

- 4 button remote is built with quality; buttons feel strong and sturdy unlike some previous alarms I have had.
- system is responsive to the remote (there is no delay from pressing button to system following the command).
- range of the remote is fantastic.
- remote includes some additional features like, pressing button 3 twice keeps the indicators lit, which is helpful at night for finding the car, or lighting up the surrounding area; the built in turbo timer automatically enables after 3 mins of driving and as it is fully intergrated you can fully arm the car and walk away but still have the option to press button 4 twice to power off the car at the drivers whim.

Autowatch 446Rli Premium Alarm/Immobiliser, with Glass Break Sensor & Battery Backup Siren

Standard Features Include...
  • Remote controlled illumination when disarming for personal safety and to assist in locating your vehicle & selective unlocking*
  • Interfaces into central locking*
  • Window closure output for electric windows and/or sunroofs
  • Remote panic
  • Movement sensor isolation (if fitted)
  • PIN override
  • Programmable silent arm/disarm
  • Early warning
  • Auto-arming three circuit immobilisation
  • Eight remotes can be programmed in or deleted
  • Two remotes supplied
  • Ignition hotwire protection
  • Anti-theft/carpet switch & visual and audible on/off indication (of fitted)
  • Alarm trigger report back
  • Boot Release 2nd Channel output (electronic boot release required)
  • Turbo run-on( where applicable)
  • Silent arm/disarm accessible from the remote
  • Courtesy light fade on and off
  • Full auto arming alarm with optional locking*
  • Tracking output
  • Secure Anti Carjacking* (doors automatically lock while you are driving & unlock when you switch the car off)
  • Variety of movement sensors available including NEW WIRELESS PIR MOTION SENSORS for vans, utes, wagons and carports.
  • Complies with Australia Standard AS/NZS 4601:1999 and/or AS/NZS 3749.1:1997
Bottom line: I would highly reccomend for anyone! Great prices for OZVR4 members.

I urge anyone to contact Chris with questions/quotes about getting an alarm on:

http://www.audioexpress.com.au
Ph: (07)-3256-7741
Mob: 0407-102-839

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Wow, sounds like a good alarm.

Oh and Hi Chris, I wondered where you'd go to, haven't seen you on PF for ages :)

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
nah not on PF anymore. spend too much time on the net as it is. mainly work on imports nowadays.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Cool, once I've got my Legume and decide on an alarm I'll have to come have a chat :) (I sold the Century in January btw :()

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
I just got myself a steelmate 2 way with microwave sensor and li-ion rechargeable remote that tells you whats going on with your car from the remote.

Steelmate brand, on clearance at the local Jaycar, $100 down from $260.

still working out how the crap to wire it all though.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Autowatch here had a couple of failed/faulty modules over the journey which can be a right PITA

Top Bottom