Not open for further replies.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
2)HPI magazine has this to say about the VR-4:

"to propel the stock [VR-4] sedan to a very respectable 6sec 0-100 sprint or, if drag racing is your thing, an easy 14.2 second quarter mile".

Maybe you can tell me in what situation stock Skylines are bettering that, with or without any limitations that please or displease you? Skyline owners on the strip aren't; Interwebz times aren't; Skyline paper times aren't; anecdotal evidence isn't; and neither are independent Skyline reviews.

Far be it from me to bring up these figures again, but I just dragged out an old HPI looking for performance figures for FTOs and found this data on the R34 GT-t:

0-100 km/h: 6.18sec
400 m: 14.39sec

So in other words, as close to identical to a VR4 as is possible. The quicker stock car these days will probably be the one that is in better condition. I knew there was a reason I was unconvinced by Bruce's stats!

But anyway, whatever. Who cares?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
found this data on the R34 GT-t:

0-100 km/h: 6.18sec
400 m: 14.39sec

My maths mightn't be as good as yours, but I think the figures you've quoted above pretty much prove my point - the numbers speak for themselves ...

6.18 is slower than 6 seconds.

14.39 is slower than 14.2 seconds.

And because this is from the same publication, it tends to reduce the variables involved when you compare times from different sources.

I don't know how much time you've spent at the strip. I'm assuming not much because like the Evo X and GT-T comparison, you don't seem to have a lot of actual behind the wheel experience on these matters before having a go from the armchair.

Assuming that you have at least gone and observed at the strip, you'd know that the difference between running 14.2 and 14.4 is a couple of car lengths and isn't anywhere near as:

close to identical to a VR4 as is possible

The other thing you're conveniently forgetting is that OZVR4 members have run very close to these HPI times, whereas Skyline Australia and the Skyline Owners Club members have not ...

Even Chuck Norris would give you a round house for that ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
i agree, on paper a vr4 should have no problem handing many skylines their ass on a platter. but theory vs practice/real world often holds surprising and contradicting results. you cant believe everything u see on paper and take it at face value, even factory figures by manufactures are estimates. even cars dead stock built at the same time of the same specs can have unexpected varying figures.

The problem with what you're saying is that we could never compare any car with any other car because all the variables would never be equal. Even if we compare 2 brand new cars off the show room floor with the same driver on the same day at the same location, you could easily say "no, that's not a valid comparison", because as you unnecessarily point out, "even cars dead stock built at the same time of the same specs can have unexpected varying figures".

I'm sorry but the world doesn't work that way. People and publications compare cars like this all the time - look at any of Motor, Wheels, Drive, Carpoint etc. The difference is that for a reasonably valid comparison, we try and minimise the variables as much as possible. We try and compare "like for like" where we can. This is why we have compared both paper and real world in this thread, i.e:

a) magazine times vs magazine times (paper comparison);

b) actual drag strip times recorded by respective owners and posted on their respective forums (real world comparison); and

c) anecdotal evidence of owners having had the chance to run with Skylines (even greater real world comparison).

You can move the goal posts all day if you like. However, at the end of the day, numbers and experiences tend to be more reliable than someone who just says "you can't believe the numbers or experiences - instead, just believe me" ;)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
This thread sucks balls now.........

VR4 = AWD
Skyline = RWD

Apples or oranges anyone?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I just always associate '4WD' with Hilux's & Landcruiser's etc

I suppose you could call them both, 'all wheels are driven' '4 wheels are driven' though it does say 4WD on my window so i change my point of view.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
What. Ever.

Chuck Norris would beat the crap out of all of youse for dragging this out so much!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Hey!, stay on topic!!!

Bruce Lee would beat the crap out of Chuck Norris though easy, especially if he had his nunchucks. And then he'd beat the crap out of all of you...

brucelee4.jpg

G

Unregistered
We used to see major differences in our stock to stock differences when dealing with the Dodge trucks. They had a run a few years back maybe 10 now I can't remember where with the same driver between 10 ram trucks(all same model everything) and the variance between all the trucks averaged at half a second. Now thats the average so some of those numbers could have been 1 second faster than the slowest. I always thought it was ridiculous that 2 trucks built at the same plant on the same day could vary so much. (i reread my message and forgot to mention they were sequenced trucks. so VIN last 6 numbers were right next to each other)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
There is a Skylines Australia cruise on the 24th October down Putty Rd that I was invited to, anybody want to come out and test the Skyline vs VR4 theory themselves?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Bruce, if I was clever with computers I'd chop out the bit in "What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost?" by Taking Back Sunday where he sings "Oh Christ" and put it up here. But since I'm not good at that, can you do me a favour and go buy the record "Louder Now", listen to that bit and consider it my reply to your latest post?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Honestly, we could be here all day with this.

Instead, there's not much point in debating with someone who just ignores the numbers and experiences achieved by magazines and the owners of both cars in stock conditon.

Forget about Photoshop. In fact, forget about computers, which seems to be the problem here.

As this topic is about the performance of these cars in the real world, how about you do me a favour and do exactly that - stop sitting in front of the computer with your hands furiously at it, get out in the real world and drive both cars back to back in stock condition (just as I did).

Then get back in front of the computer and tell us what you find. You may surprise yourself.

Until you do that, it's all theoretical hot air from you ala "Evo Xs are this and that, even though I've never driven an Evo X" and "I need to look at the torque graphs" instead of "I just need to drive both cars and find out for myself".

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You can't manipulate music in photoshop.

This'll be my last post in this thread. It has gone stupid.

The "6 seconds" quote in HPI for the VR4 wouldn't have been 6.00. It'd probably be slightly slower than that. Don't take it as gospel as, read in context, it obviously isn't intended to be accurate (yes, I have the article too. Read it today). So there's maybe a tenth in it between the cars 0-100, and about 1.5-2 tenths (at best) over the quarter. Those figures were based on brand new cars. Like I said previously, the winner now would probably be the car that is in the best condition. That's not what I had initially thought (I guessed that the Skyline would be quicker than that) but it is what the HPI data says.

Now just give it up will you? I'm not going to "do you a favour" by wasting my time driving to Melbourne to test drive a Skyline, I'm not going to comb my hair and wear a nice shirt so the Mtsubishi dealer doesn't laugh when I ask to test drive an Evo, and I'm not going to agree with your "all or nothing" position on all these things. There's shades of grey in everything, and that's where the truth lies in this debate.

Out.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
oh man i so owned this 34 the other day. our cars were both dead stock, and i absolutely smashed him. i got 0.14 of a second ahead of him by the time we were at 100km/h. yeee hah!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I think we'll just agree to disagree.

I guess we're just different in that when I compare things in the real world, I like to try them for myself rather than just look at a magazine or guestimate from in front of my computer.

PS. My test drive of the Evo X was done in jeans and a T-shirt. I can understand how this might be considered to be semi-formal attire for some ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom