So I was taking a holiday over in Gold Coast

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
And I was completely blown away by how rare Legnums and Galants were ! I was here for 8 nights and 9 days and I only saw ONE galant ! It was a VR4 though and was pretty cool, a white one with a lady driver, tall with dark hair, might be a part of the forums?

But yeah anyway, I heard they were rear but I didn't know they were this rare. In New Zealand every 5th car is either a Legnum or Galant.

Just my little story I felt i'd share with ya :)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Quite rare yep. We've got plenty of Skylines and Supras here but that's about it - our import rules are VERY strict compared to your total lack of import rules.

Similarly when I went to Queenstown when I went to NZ earlier this about 1 in 4 cars seemed to be a Subaru Legacy. You don't get that here! We have nearly no Legacy RSs/GTs/GT-Bs here.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
You'll only see VR4s on the road here dude. They're the only ones allowed to be complied for our country.
The first people to recognise my white Legnum when I bought it back in Oct '07 were 2 Kiwis over here on holidays lol.

That description sounds like shambam.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
You'll only see VR4s on the road here dude. They're the only ones allowed to be complied for our country.
Aside from even rarer private imports. There was a Legnum ST24 for sale last year in Melbourne, private import from NZ.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
our import rules are VERY strict compared to your total lack of import rules.

Unfortunately they're not anywhere near as loose as the used to be. All cars now need meet emissions restrictions meaning hardly anything fun and cheap is importable :(

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
There's a few of us around Gold Coast/Brisbane area, in fact there was 7 of us meeting yesterday around the Gold Coast for a DIY meet, and there are more around. But yeah I guess compared to the amount of these cars in NZ they are still relatively rare here :)

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
Wow how come you can't import non VR4's ? Thats awesome all galant and legnums are turb over there haha, and yes agreed far too many legacys ! And you call them libertys over there? lol

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Dude even I rarely see VR4s and I had one lol

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Wow how come you can't import non VR4's ? Thats awesome all galant and legnums are turb over there haha, and yes agreed far too many legacys ! And you call them libertys over there? lol
They're called Liberties over here out of respect for http://www.legacy.com.au/

Our import laws have only approved a very small number of cars to be imported which were manufactured after 1989. It includes -
- R32/R33/R34/V35/V36 Skylines
- Aristos
- Supras (atmo/turbo)
- Soarers
- 8th gen only Galant/Legnum VR4s (6th and 7th gen not allowed)
- Chasers
- Cimas

Other random crap like Nissan Cubes, Elgrandes, etc as well.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
how come 6th and 7th gen ones arn't allowed? because they're too old? so you can't get non turbo galants/legs in oz?

I also noticed a lot of suziki swifts being done up there

Top Bottom