Strengthening the automatic transmission on the cheap

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
Threebond 1281 is specifically made for use with ATF.

I used threebond 1215 which is more of general use liquid gasket but is listed as safe to use with ATF/transmissions. Only been 3-4 months but no leaks so far.

babylon6

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tony G
Drive
GTA
Has anyone welded the direct drive planetary as it seems to be the failing component on the cars in the UK. I chewed mine running 500/550 and have seen many standard power units with the same failure.

rockabilly

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Aldo
Drive
Trek & GTA
Hey Guys,
Has anybody got any additional information in regards to the Pins / Bolts that need to be welded in place?
Maybe some pictures?
My Legnum is currently at TechSport. The Auto suddenly became noisy in second and third gears.
In first through to third it was really down on power, then once shifting into fourth the car was fine again.
Jeff has drained the fluid, and there does not appear to have any metallic parts in there.
I am trying to work out about rebuilding the one that is in there, or having a 2nd hand one installed. But if I go the 2nd hand route,
will want to check the wave spring and alike before it goes in.
Regards
Gavin
Pin 1 pic only needs the 3 pins welded at one end because the other end of the pins are inside a hardened surface.
Pin 2 pic needs welding at both ends of each because both surfaces are just mild steel & all 6 holes will elongate. The 3 dowl pins won't be needed.
Pic 2 was a GTA runing E85 btw
Cheers - Aldo

Pins 1.jpg
Pins 2.jpg

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I was just talking to a guy that said his Evo 7 GTA (auto) has been upgraded with a mitsubishi 380 auto gearset.
Unfortunately he had it done by a shop in WA and can't remember their name...

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does this mean it would be possible in a VR4?

I would kill for a some longer gear ratios, being made for a land barge I would imagine it has a higher overdrive gear at least.

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
GTA...and earliy GSr/ evo lancers
has any one got tips on how to get the reverse and over drive clutches back in where it belongs....are there match marks or something? Ive tried it every which way but it still wont slide all the way home. tempted to beat the crap out of it with a hammer.!!

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Has anyone had a auto rebuild/ streathened lately in Nsw and how much did it set you back. Drive in drive out price?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
So you brought the car ?

I remember people here highly recommend a transmission place called Parramatta Automatics and think it was between $1500 to $2000.
Could be more or less now, worth giving them a call Monday.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
So you brought the car ?

I remember people here highly recommend a transmission place called Parramatta Automatics and think it was between $1500 to $2000.
Could be more or less now, worth giving them a call Monday.
Not yet. Still talking to the seller regarding price

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Cool just didn't see it on gumtree anymore and thought you brought it.

But yeah Parramatta Automatics, give them a call Monday and hopefully they can quote you over the phone.

Reactions: Gav

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Cool just didn't see it on gumtree anymore and thought you brought it.

But yeah Parramatta Automatics, give them a call Monday and hopefully they can quote you over the phone.
Got the car and will be getting the a new auto put in. And get the work done to the box before it's installed. Hopefully by Steve

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Pin 1 pic only needs the 3 pins welded at one end because the other end of the pins are inside a hardened surface.
Pin 2 pic needs welding at both ends of each because both surfaces are just mild steel & all 6 holes will elongate. The 3 dowl pins won't be needed.
Pic 2 was a GTA runing E85 btw
Cheers - Aldo

So this is the general cheap way people are strengthening their boxes? Is there anything else without going too extreme?

bmgtz

Idling at the Lights
First Name
brian
Drive
GTA...and earliy GSr/ evo lancers
So this is the general cheap way people are strengthening their boxes? Is there anything else without going too extreme?

yes, that is the basics. There is more you can do....alot more! Ive just had a trans done by the fella you quoted with kevlar plates ...wave spring deleted...special full width clutches. he is in sydney too and all he does is these transmissions! Really knows his stuff

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
the internal filter replaced and a strengthened steel pump gear fitted.

I'll leave all that for a later discussion as I'm not taking the box out, and of course you should be doing the wave spring too :)

Do you have these in stock atm

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Aldo, I think I've heard of your work on GTA boxes, what are the upgrades you do to make super strong autos?
I assume welding input and output planets, is there anything else you can do makes them stronger? Are the rest upgrades to shift faster etc?

I have 200kw thru my auto atm, but have broken 1 gearbox already with slightly less (output planets as far as I can tell, inputs were already welded)

rockabilly

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Aldo
Drive
Trek & GTA
Pretzil I'm not aloud to say anything about my 350kw auto on E85 car mods says a mod in here.
So my lips are sealed. Can't give any advice sorry..
Aldo

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Pretzil I'm not aloud to say anything about my 350kw auto on E85 car mods says a mod in here.
Aldo
Okay, but can you at least clarify... you're talking about an EVO, right???

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Aldo

You're allowed to give advice - that's what this forum is for. We just want people to follow the advertising/trading rules so it's fair for the others who pay for the privilege :)

rockabilly

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Aldo
Drive
Trek & GTA
WAVE SPRING under Low/Rev explained.
The 3.9mm wave spring doesn't brake whereas the thin one does & small bits of it can kill your pump.
It's applied for the 1st 10kph in D going & the last 10kph in deccel. Same in R
Also applied in P & N. Helps to keep all the other clutch packs neutralized.
High reving cold start issues are not good for R gear
DON'T put your car in R & wack the accel instantly. You will kill your 2 baby R clutches in no time.
Wait for the feel of the engagement before accel. The low/rev clutches will now help R & D
When you shift N to R or D, the 3.9mm spring pushes the piston back.
Now during the lowest oil pressure at idle, the piston has to re-engage.
This is why you have a big delay engaging R & D. So wait before you WOT it.
Tip: I use 2nd gear clutches in low/rev with my stepped piston plate & my combo of plates.
Why: Because it engages instantly & it helps 1st launching at 16psi with 3600rpm stutter box.
I won't offer free wave springs to anyone again. I will bin them instead.
Aldo

Top Bottom