TD04s on the 6A13TT

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I got 14.8 out of my FWD manual N/A magna. If I don't beat that first go with the VR4 i'll be unhappy lol

LEG_IT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S Black Manual
tdo4L 13g's off the subaru forester is your best bet.
For anyone that looks into this the early foresters come out with a td03, and the newer foresters have the td04 from the wrx's. So please be careful not too but one over the net without checkin it out. Reasonably cheap too, around $150 secondhand, then just highflow it, lol :p

G

Unregistered
For anyone that looks into this the early foresters come out with a td03, and the newer foresters have the td04 from the wrx's. So please be careful not too but one over the net without checkin it out. Reasonably cheap too, around $150 secondhand, then just highflow it, lol :p

the 98-02gt foresters have a TF35 not a td03.. the tf35 is useless, output on this turbo is max12psi. the td03 is slightly larger and can handle more.

the 03-06 XT forester has the td04 turbo..
i wouldnt bother with a TF35 only if you wanna TwinTurbo a charade..

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
TD04L's are on their way.
I need some advice ASAP people.
I will be taking the car most likely to AVO with a boot full of parts and saying "make this shit work".

But, I still want to know what to expect so they dont turn around and say "you needed a new blah blah blah and that will cost $10,000".

I would like to know what I am looking at.

Radiator fan
Cooler piping
AVCR to manage the boost
Bigger fuel pump.

Anything else?

G

Unregistered
ECU other wise its all pointless,
bigger injectors,
intercooler,
better FPR

G

Unregistered
good on ya mate. your gunna have one fast legnum on your hands..
(quote)"im just gunna give it a tickel"(end quote)
yea rite.... haha

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
ECU other wise its all pointless,
bigger injectors,
intercooler,
better FPR

ECU will have to be piggy back in order to accomodate CC and auto.
Haltech maybe.
Injectors, not sure, I will see how these ones go, if they are maxing out I will change them.
Intercooler is already here, sorry forgot to mention that. TRUST kit.
FPR, yeah again not sure, I have been told (on more than one occasion) that FPR is the last thing to look at, most of the time (unless 500HP +) they just add to the confusion of a tune.

Again these are words from other tuners, so everyone is different. I appreciate your advice mate, thanks!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the injectors are MAXED at 220kw ATW, which I've acheived on stock turbos. There is no point in changing to td04's and limiting the car to 220kw, you may as well shoot for 250-300kw, and you definitely need big injectors for that!

G

Unregistered
yep the factory injector will max out pretty quickly,

my belief with changing the FPR is,
if your changing the fuel pump with something better/stronger,
you may aswell change the old FPR (which has probabilly seen better days anyway)
with something that is better suited to a more powerful pump,

im going with a walbro 255L pump (342 is the one for our cars)
and a sard 1:1 rasing rate fpr,

the problems that most tuners have with FPRs are caused by not using a linar fpr, such as a 1:1.8 fpr,

which means instead of raisng the pressure of fuel 1 psi of every 1 psi off added boost, is now rasing the pressure by 1.8psi for ever 1psi of boost,

making it alot harder to tune.

ecu wise you dont have to spend anywhere near as much as brad.

for a piggyback,

i would be recommending the mapecu2 www.mapecu.co.nz
or the e-manage ultimate, as quite a few off use clubvr4 memebers are using them,

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
the injectors are MAXED at 220kw ATW, which I've acheived on stock turbos. There is no point in changing to td04's and limiting the car to 220kw, you may as well shoot for 250-300kw, and you definitely need big injectors for that!

Can you list up your mods Brad? Or is there a link where you have already done this. I would love to have a read of what you have done, and what that got you.

I am happy with what it makes now, I was not really looking to go crazy, but I think one of the turbo's is on it's way out. So I thought I may aswell replace it with something better than stock, and here we are! lol

G

Unregistered
brads got...

Autronic SM4 full ecu,
walbro pump
sard fpr,
600x300x100 core cooler,
full 2.5" custom intercooler pipe work (from turbos to IC and IC to intake),
BOV of some sort, not sure on brand?
2.5" from turbos to 3" duel muffler exhaust,
custom intake pipes and cold air box (2.5" inch to each turbo from one single large filter, no MAF),

have i missed anything brad?

standard turbos and injectors, both at there limits at 220kw atw.

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
yep the factory injector will max out pretty quickly,

my belief with changing the FPR is,
if your changing the fuel pump with something better/stronger,
you may aswell change the old FPR (which has probabilly seen better days anyway)
with something that is better suited to a more powerful pump,

im going with a walbro 255L pump (342 is the one for our cars)

the problems that most tuners have with FPRs are caused by not using a linar fpr, such as a 1:1.8 fpr,

which means instead of raisng the pressure of fuel 1 psi of every 1 psi off added boost, is now rasing the pressure by 1.8psi for ever 1psi of boost,

ecu wise you dont have to spend anywhere near as much as brad.

for a piggyback,

i would be recommending the mapecu2 www.mapecu.co.nz
or the e-manage ultimate, as quite a few off use clubvr4 memebers are using them,

Thanks Carsten,

Will the e-manage run the auto and CC? I am assuming it is a piggyback?

Nick

G

Unregistered
yes its a piggy back so there wont be issues with the auto, as it wont have anything to do with it, as its controlled by a seperate ecu in the car.

sorry whats CC short for?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah thats about it up there. The max of the stock turbos really is about 200kw at the wheels, running them at 225kw is just silly, they will blow up fairly soon, I'm sure of it!

CC = climate control I guess?

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Yeah CC = Climate Control.

I know with some cars when replacing the ECU completely it can effect the climate to a point where it no longer works.

I did not really want to go down the path of ECU and bigger injecs, but if I dont have a choice thenI will.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I have a full replacement Autronic SM4, the original engine ecu is doing the rounds in prefacelift cars down in Christchurch!

My MMCS climate control works perfectly fine, and in fact every single thing on the car works perfectly fine.

G

Unregistered

Confusion right there... :)

Gly everything you say is correct, but Rasing Rate IS something not 1:1!!! :)

Sard is normal 1:1 AFPR not a rasing rate... I don't think they make a RR one...

G

Unregistered
so a 1:1 fpr is not referred to as raising rate?
even thou the presure raises at 1:1?

only the ones that raise at a non-equal pressure are called raising rate??

no matter what its called, thats how it works, LOL!

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
So can someone tell me what harness is needed to run things?
I am going to buy the emanage, but I want to make sure there is a harness to suit before I go rushing out! lol

Top Bottom