Wheel Offsets - the "will this wheel fit" thread

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Because, the maximum "LEGAL" wheel width in NSW is 7.5" for a Galant/Legnum, why do you guys advocate wheel widths/diameters that are illegal to new members?? Without at least a warning of legality.

Because it looks better and works better.

Why do people advocate fitting boost controllers, louder exhausts, high flow cats & aftermarket engine management systems without at least a warning of legality? And moreover, who cares? :rolleyes:

Oh and show me someone who has advocated an illegal diameter....

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Kat has a point.

If you're going wider than 7.5 in NSW, make sure you get them engineered.

Last thing you would want is to have an insurance assessor deny your claim because your wheels "look better and sweet as" ;)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
This thread should have nothing to do with what is legal or not, it is purely for what width rim and offset will fit our cars.
Sure, if anyone is concerned if they are going to get busted running a particular rim, do not go looking on here for advise, go speak to your local department of transport or equivilent government department.
End rant.

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
there is only so much tyre you can fit under the gaurds, and you can get to that point with an 8" rim. Any wider than that is not for performance, its for aesthetics. Particularly when you start using camber to "fit" wheels.

8.5 +35 will sit 3mm further in than this.

100_1727-1.jpg

I can't believe we're still having this debate.

they look outside the gaurd to me :/

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
maximum of 8".. are u on crack. you can easily fit a 9", or even a 9.5.

the maximum tyre you should be fitting to a 8" is a 225. and thats borderline bulge.

but.. umm.. pfft i give up. mega face palm.

why buy a performance car if u have absolutely no interest in performance

OK, you've convinced me. I want 9"s if they fit so easily and will give me more performance! I guess I should go 9" +38s as listed in the first post as flush fitment?

what tyre should I run so that it fits easily as you said?

do I need more camber to make it fit?

anything else required to make them "fit easily"?

just asking because the 235/45 on 17*8" +38s rubbed the gaurds on the rear and splash gaurds on the front of my Legnum. but if you tell me that a heavier 9.5" rim, stretched tyres, and more camber possibly combined with silly low ride heights will increase my performance, I'll all for it!

as for 225 being the MAXIMUM you should fit on 8", Evo engineers seem to disagree, making 235s standard fitment on their 17*8". And if you drop them on the floor when you remove them, the rim hits the concrete first, so no bulge there...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
9" rim with offset between +35 and +40 will do fine if u dont wana do any serious guard work.

235/40/18 tyre or a 225/40/18 will give slight stretch.

install coilovers and lower to where your comfortable. afterall you SHOULD be lowering you car to induce camber to increase the cars handling capabilities.

if you get any scrubbing under full lock, roll the guards at any tyre shop that will take no longer than 30mins. however anyone with a clue should be rolling their guards regardless.

as with the evo rims with 235's.. do u know what tyres. coz im noticed a large variation in tyre brands. ive had 225/45 khumo on a 9" rim with barely any stretch. and then i fitted a 255/40 dunlop and it had slight stretch.

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
so a 235 on the 9" rim? like I said earlier, there is only so much tyre you can fit under the gaurds, and you can get to that point with an 8" rim. Any wider than that is not for performance, its for aesthetics. 235 is perfect on an 8" rim. Standard fitment for Evos. One of the best performance cars to come out of Japan.

How does a heavier 9" rim increase performance?

Stretch certainly doesn't. I don't see any circuit racing categories running stretched tyres.

If its peformance you're after, you're better off with an 8" rim. wider rims are fine, but they are only for "the look", not performance.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
face plam. i swear we already had this dicussion earlier in the thread of another thread.

stretched tyres do improve handling. im not going into it again..

yes an evo may come with that.. stock. but look what our cars come with stock. hardly optimal. cars come from factory detuned so they can be driven by anyone at any time on any road.
if u were modding ur evo to increase performance and left the factory rims on there, u would have to be very ignorant.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
no, track cars never run stretched tyres to improve handling and increase performance!

haterzz.jpg

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
I'm of the opinion that stretched tyres usually look like saggy boobs, so like my perky 245/35s on a 19" rim. (not Legnum, obviously)

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
no, track cars never run stretched tyres to improve handling and increase performance!

lol - go find an actual circuit racing category that does it. They're always looking for any competitive advantage they can get.

Not some random photo of some unknown JDM time attack car that for all we know came stone motherless last. is his gold badge a performance mod too?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
a multi-billion dollar racing industry that have engineers looking for ever miniscule gain good enough??

ferrari004.jpg

oh is that FERRARI running stretched tyres.. surely not :eek:

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
no, the only 1 of those 4 that looks 'stretched' is actually deflected by the cornering grip its producing lol

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
no, the only one of those 4 that looks 'stretched' is actually deflected by the cornering grip its producing. you have no idea what you are talking about.

Steve, allow me.
Are you on crack?
Look at the inside rear wheel, what do you call that?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
lol - go find an actual circuit racing category that does it. They're always looking for any competitive advantage they can get.

Not some random photo of some unknown JDM time attack car that for all we know came stone motherless last. is his gold badge a performance mod too?

Try doing some research before you shoot your mouth off mate. The Cyber Evo is hardly "unknown", and is one of the quickest time attack cars in Japan. :rolleyes:

And also, head off and get your eyes checked. My wheels and tyres are not outside the guards. Not even close.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
time attack is the pinnacle of worldwide motorsport afterall. I guess we'll have to give give JGTC, FIA GT, DTM, and F1 (amongst hundreds of others) time to catch up.

It is actually worth looking to time attack for ideas, for one simple reason - it isn't controlled. All the ones you mentioned there run control tyres, or something similar, and have strict controls on the engineering that can be done to the cars. Time attack is where the real ingenuity is found. Where do you think you'll find cleverer engineering - V8 Supercars or Tsukuba Superlap?

And anyway, why would they spend tens of thousands (actually, probably hundreds of thousands) of dollars on the Cyber Evo only to throw it all away by fitting tyres that will make it slower?

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
It is actually worth looking to time attack for ideas, for one simple reason - it isn't controlled. All the ones you mentioned there run control tyres, or something similar, and have strict controls on the engineering that can be done to the cars. Time attack is where the real ingenuity is found. Where do you think you'll find cleverer engineering - V8 Supercars or Tsukuba Superlap?

And anyway, why would they spend tens of thousands (actually, probably hundreds of thousands) of dollars on the Cyber Evo only to throw it all away by fitting tyres that will make it slower?

I have to agree.

I can't see why the Cyber evo's developers would be going for looks over performance.

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
OK, look at any of the plethora of proper race categories that don't have a control tyre size. you'll find the same thing.

re why Cyber would do that - maybe because they are there to advertise their workshop (presumably). So they need the right look to appeal to their target demographic. Maybe that photo isn't actually the tyre/rim setup they set their fastest lap with?

HKS carbon evo outrigh time attack record holder doesn't run extreme stretch like that. they look nice and square to me. maybe Cyber can go quicker with proper fitment.
5.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just keep it nice guys :) And also try and keep it at least semi relevant to VR-4's

Top Bottom