100,000km Major Service Parts List

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
So my VR-4 has just ticked over 80,000 klms and I want to do the timing belt service as well as a general refresh service.

Let me know your thoughts on my proposed service list - am I missing anything? Is there anything you would or wouldn't do?

TIMING BELT SERVICE
- Timing belt
- Hydraulic tensioner
- Tensioner pulley
- Idler pulley
- Crank shaft seal
- Camshaft seals x 4
- Water pump + liquid gasket to seal it
- Crankshaft pulley
- Power steering belt
- Alternator belt

SPARK PLUG & ENGINE SERVICE
- Change spark plugs x 6 (VK22)
- Change rocker cover gaskets x 2 (MD174560)
- Change rocker cover washer seals x 18 (MD327253)
- Change Plug hole seals x 6 (MD178940)
- Change Rocker cover bolt washer gaskets
- Change throttle butterfly shaft seals (http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?13963-FS-Throttle-butterfly-shaft-seal-kits)
- Change inlet manifold gasket set?
- Change exhaust manifold gasket set?
- Replace thermostat (MD175746/MD337408)
- Change PCV valve gasket (MD179909/1057A033)
- Change power steering fluid (ATF SPIII)

OIL & AIR FILTER SERVICE
- Change engine oil (5w30)
- Change oil filter (MD356000)
- Clean and oil the air filter

GEARBOX AND DIFF SERVICE
- Change front diff/transfer case fluid (0.62 litres of 75W90 GL5). The transfer case takes 500ml initially and another 100ml after the fluid settles.
- Change rear diff fluid (0.6 litres of 75W90 GL5)
- Change gearbox fluid (2.7 litres of Castrol Syntrans VMX 75W85 GL4)

FUEL SYSTEM SERVICE
- Change fuel pump (use Walbro)
- Change fuel filter (MR212200)
Change both the primary fuel filter and the secondary fuel filter, which is in the fuel tank. Take out rear seat, ensure use of multiple workshop towels, undo large screw cap on passenger side and remove assembly, filter is at the bottom. There's actually a third, fairly small filter under the fuel pump, large screw cap on driver's side.

BRAKE & RADIATOR SERVICE
- Change brake pads
- Bleed and change brake fluid (ATE Super Blue from http://hsy.com.au/)
- Change radiator
- Flush and change radiator fluid

LCA & SUSPENSION SERVICE
- Change right and left inner CV boots
- Change lower control arms / ball joints (MR296295 LH + MR296296 RH)
- Change tie rods (MR594674)?
- Change tie rod ends (MB912519)?
- Change steering rack boots (MB501711)?
- Change stabiliser bar links (4056A025)?

MISCELLANEOUS SERVICE ITEMS
- Clean lash adjusters
- Service coil packs (http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?5566-How-To-Service-your-coil-pack-(and-stop-the-misfiring))
- Replace rear main seal (MD 359158) - only change if changing clutch?
- Lubricate sunroof and rails with silicone spray
- Supply and install 3 port controller + 3SX Fuel Loop

G

Unregistered
If changing the rear main seal or clutch, then change the gearbox input shaft seal and bearing at the same time (otherwise the bearing will eventually go rattly). Or for an auto if changing the rear main seal then change the torque converter seal and be sure to use some retaining compound on it as those tend to work their way out.

Also if the transmission is coming out, consider replacing all the seals on the transfer case plus the driveshaft seals. And the same for an auto but also do the transmission internal filter and wavespring fix if it hasn't been done. I have put together kits for a few people now containing everything for these jobs.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Jeebus, that's a lot of work. Having said that I have done all of that between 80k and 120k but not in 1 hit and a lot of it only cos I needed to.

Except for the exhaust manifold gaskets. And I really don't think there's much point going to all that trouble if they are not leaking since you aren't doing anything else with the turbos.

Other than that although that is a very extensive list, can't see any of it hurting.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I just got my car fully serviced through the guys i imported my car from because it now has just under 95,000 on it and the clutch replaced at the same time because it was slipping under power after getting it tuned by TME_Steve . I bought the clutch kit through them which is an exedy heavy duty kit for $690 and i bought the 100,000 kit for $848 which included water pump, all pulleys and tensioners and belts. I also got the O2 sensor changed and all spark plugs VK22 and oils including diff (ayc) and coolant. There mechanic had never done a legnum before so it took them 4 days to do the job and cost me $1580 in labor. Even though it took a while im happy with the work they did a very professional job, at the end of it all they said they under quoted me $600 because they didnt think it was going to be such a big job so im even happier even though it really should of taken them 2-3 days.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Good price for the work and even if you knew exactly what you were doing, all that would take about 2 days so not bad to get it done in 4 first time.

AndyK

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Andy
Drive
Legnum
Thanks for this thread. What is the rationale for some of the 'optionals', such as the O2 sensor? Secondly, is there a need to service/replace the lifters if they are just starting to be a little noisy?

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Thanks for this thread. What is the rationale for some of the 'optionals', such as the O2 sensor? Secondly, is there a need to service/replace the lifters if they are just starting to be a little noisy?

The O2 sensor should be replaced every 100,000 Kms, but if you don't replace it, nothing terrible will happen -- you'll just get crap fuel economy. As far as I know, noisy lifters do not impact reliability or performance, they are just annoying.

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
I've never replaced the O2 sensor (205K) and have reasonable fuel economy 10 to 12 L/100.

Top Bottom