Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I tried bedding in, thrashing, remachining the rotors I had (RDA plain type) ... all to no avail.... tried different pad compounds from QFM HP-X to Brembo branded pads (Dusty as F#$k) Even bought the Project Mu anti squeal Shims.. (Damn Pricey) again all lasted about 100-200km...
This is the point, the bedding in etc puts the pad compound over the disc surface, but because you can't run them hot enough with performance compounds, the pad eventually scrapes this back off and you get left with squealing. You WILL have to re-do the bed in regularly.

The fact is that standard OEM brakes are sufficient for all but decent track work. You can get away with them even for small track work, but don't expect them to last the distance (and they will probably start cracking before they are worn out)
Brembo brakes look cool and are good wank factor, but they are just too big if you don't drive hard, often. You will probably find that the OEM Brembo discs have poor cooling and the OEM pads pass their compound onto the disc nice and easily. Probably for worse performance than a decent OEM sized performance disc and pad set.

I have brembos. Good on track, but overkill for road use.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
You are right though... Brembo's are great for wank factor and they look fantastic... (that's why I put them on lol) and way overkill for street use..

What I found with OEM mitso rotors is they are prone to Glazing... after several hard stops (track work etc) the car shudders under braking... after doing the runouts with a dial indicator on the rotors they were fine and a quick skim fixed the issue right up..
Another quick fix is drive the car in reverse with the brake applied to "de-glaze" the rotors and pads but this is only a quick temporary fix...

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I thought of bearings since it was a completely different set of hub carriers but it only happens when brakes are applied.
Bolts are the shorter type and if they were touching I couldn't imagine it not screaming the whole time, I did check one set before fitting them though.

I'm not too worried, just glad to hear someone has encountered it before

71GGS

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Aleks
Drive
EC5A
Alrighty, so iv already warned you that im a noob....

Iv only been a VR-4 owner for about 5 months and have been doing the best i can for my beastie.

Iv done the whole major service of the timing belt, pump, gaskets and seals, oils, filters, leads, plugs etc, etc, etc

My most recent is upgrading all the rubber bushes on the control arms and sway bars to polyurethane bushes which i have to admit the handling has increased substantially, but i need to keep going.

I see post in regards to fellow owners running Brembo setups on theyre ec5w's but i have no idea where theyre getting their setups from. I read people stating theyre getting them of Evos which makes it harder for me to understand how this works which leads me to this Q.

What do i have to do and look for to have a whole brembo setup?

Cheers in advance!

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Basically we share the same bolt pattern,hub spacing dimensions and calliper mount positions as the evo. Making it basically a bolt on kit without modification. Other than lines and heat shields. Pretty sure evo7-9 brembo
Kits work. There are plenty of threads on them if u look

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Basically we share the same bolt pattern,hub spacing dimensions and calliper mount positions as the evo. Making it basically a bolt on kit without modification. Other than lines and heat shields. Pretty sure evo7-9 brembo Kits work. There are plenty of threads on them if u look

Does he have a Facelift? If he has a PFL then this is not true.

I hate to say it, but 'search is your friend'
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/brembo-brake-caliper-upgrade.980/

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Officially it is just a cosmetic 'face lift'. Except for the auto gearbox, power steering pump, hub carriers, brakes, abs/tcl system (I think)... And anything else you need in a hurry :p

KeithVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Keith
Drive
97 Legnum VR4
New Legnum owner here, mine already came with the Evo brake upgrade but I am looking to replace the rotors already as they are worn. Where is the cheapest place to get replacement rotors from? Been quoted $550 a pair for DBA5000s for the front plus freight, seems a bit high to me but as I said this is a new learning curve for me coming from my turbo AE86, thanks in advance

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
That's cheap compared to Meek's pricing for similar...

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
New Legnum owner here, mine already came with the Evo brake upgrade but I am looking to replace the rotors already as they are worn. Where is the cheapest place to get replacement rotors from? Been quoted $550 a pair for DBA5000s for the front plus freight, seems a bit high to me but as I said this is a new learning curve for me coming from my turbo AE86, thanks in advance

That seems very cheap for the 5000 series. Where did you get that pricing? I think it was probably $550 per rotor.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
That's 2 piece rotors. Roughly double the 4000 series....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Keith if you have micks old car and therefore my old brakes you can get 4000 series rotors and sell the 5000 series centres. Or buy just the ring for the rotor centre. You don't need the hole rotor as it's 2 piece. And yeah we can supply whatever you choose, just flick me a pm. We should be cheaper than most if not all for dba....

KeithVR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Keith
Drive
97 Legnum VR4
Hey Steve, it is Mick's old car, I was originally qouted more until he realised I didn't need the centre and just the outer piece. And just a bit off topic thanks for getting the transfer case sorted out so quickly and the tune as well. She ran beautifully all the way back to Queensland.
Ps, I call the outers of the two piece, rotors and the inner rotor hats or centers, maybe I picked up the wrong terms over the years being a mechanic
:)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Rotor is correct. Although most would say outer rotor but saying you want rotors most people online would think you mean that the whole thing including the hat is the rotor.... They're the older 2 piece design so be sure wherever you get them from knows that. I'll get a quote for Monday if you like....

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Fitted rear brembos on the weekend. Yes, the dust shield is too small and needs to be modified.

For reference, this is what I did:
Sheet metal 'nibbler' hand tool, sheet metal bending pliers :D

Also, rear brembos need 4 x 20mm (20mm for flush bolts, 25mm is probably alright if washer is thick and rotors arent too thick?) long M10x1.5 for fitment to our cars.

Attachments

• dustshields 1.jpg
    dustshields 1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 52
  • dustshields 2.jpg
    dustshields 2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 51
  • dustshields 3.jpg
    dustshields 3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 54

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^
That's actually a very good idea compared to the ones I seen that look dangerous when they installed brembo's and can cut your hand if working around it.

Top Bottom