Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Is this a normal pattern?
I did a bedding in procedure etc. Then some very hard braking the next day (abs On) but not to a complete stop.
Its the same on both sides.
Pads are unknown brand, 2nd hand (came with the calipers)
brake pattern.jpg

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Hey Rick,
Love what you did with the stone shield... I removed mine entirely... rip tear bust!! lol... only held on with spot welds anyway... after a year it I haven't had any dramas..
As for the pattern on your rotor..
Did you have them machined? and did you "machine" the pads flat also? (I usually give them a light rub on some flat concrete to scuff them up before refitting them to take the glazing off...

I'd dare say the more you drive it the funny wear you've taken the pic of will disappear over time... Mine did just from normal driving...

Can't hurt to check if the discs are machined flat though... nice work BTW.. blue calipers look great!!
Steve

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
Does anyone have a part number on the face lift front ABS Sensors? I need to find a pair. Any chance anyone knows if they are the same on another model, Magna etc?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Does anyone have a part number on the face lift front ABS Sensors? I need to find a pair. Any chance anyone knows if they are the same on another model, Magna etc?

ABS Front Sensor's
Right : MR370908
Left : MR370907
(Very expensive)

Im 99% sure the magna won't fit or any other car, hopefully someone will confirm this.

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
Here are some more pics with the brembo's and new lines installed.
The red looks a bit off colour from the flash.

06.jpg

01.jpg

3.jpg

029.jpg

It has made a massive difference in brake performace. Can pull up so much shorter and harder.
From high speed stops to normal stops its made a big difference. :D

I was also told cusco brake stop are another great upgrade.
(an adjustable stopper to keep pressure against the master cylinder so it doesnt move when the pedal is depressed)

iam about to buy a evo 9 brembo brakes setup front and rear will it fit a legnum vr4

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
iam about to buy a evo 9 brembo brakes setup front and rear will it fit a legnum vr4
If your vr4 is FL, otherwise more parts required

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
I was looking in to it mines a 98 model i think i need to change the hubs to a new style 2000 model and will it fit 18inch rims and the gap between the brake and wheel is 3cm front and back

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Take a photo of your car mate, 98 should be a FL already.
Can't say whether the wheels will fit without trying them, or if they are sold for evos.

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
what does fL stand for rims are 18 inch the brembos rotors I think the are front330 rear300 if anyone has brembos on there leggy can u tell us whats involved in installing the brembos

Attachments

• 20151011_091613.jpg
    20151011_091613.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20151011_091557.jpg
    20151011_091557.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151010_125733.jpg
    20151010_125733.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 9

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
FL = Facelift, if yours has dual fog lights wheel arch flares and or is a 98 model you've a better than 50% chance of not having to do too much.

P.S. Search is your friend and works best if your a Premium Member.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Hi guys,

Does someone know the specs for braided brake lines? I have read through 14 odd pages and can see (back in 2008) there was a reference to contact someone's dad. I don't have the option of removing my lines and sending them to a shop as my car is a daily driver, so would like to send specs to HEL or some other mob that makes lines.

I think (it was late at night) I read that you can't simply use the Evo lines for the front (you can the back though). So what is the difference for the fronts, is it the connector, length or something else?

Cheers

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Strange I got Tech Sport to install my brembo brakes using evo braided lines in the front and rear.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Strange I got Tech Sport to install my brembo brakes using evo braided lines in the front and rear.

Thanks for the reply Dice.

So you went out and bought standard Evo brake lines and they fitted them? If so did you get any particular year/model evo eg 6, 8 etc. Wondering if there was any changes in specs over the years?

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Evo 8 full kit calipers, rotors, pads and they already had endless braided lines. I think they said something about it not being a straight connection now that I think about it but I don't know the details. They didn't have any dramas though.

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
ps what size rotors are u running on the brembos front/rear and can u go any bigger thanks

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I used HEL brake lines... the fronts you can use stock ones as they are the "banjo" type fitting. the rears stock on the VR-4's are threaded type.. need the banjo fittings on the rear for it to work...

Rears you can get either some good (Low KM) 2nd hand Evo ones (Evos 5-9 that actually had Brembos to start with is a good idea) Possibly Evo 10 ones but can't confirm that.

Think the HEL's were about $120 delivered when I bought them..... the rear HEL braideds actually rub on the hub vertical support/attach point to the upper control arm which isn't ideal...

best to purchase some genuine evo ones TBH...Check Ebay for Evo lancer braided lines and you'll see what's available..

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
ps what size rotors are u running on the brembos front/rear and can u go any bigger thanks

320mm on the front and 300 on the rear... Evo 10's had a slightly revised caliper plus a bigger rotor 345 or 365mm can't remember... which won't fit the earlier evo wheels from memory...

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
I used HEL brake lines... the fronts you can use stock ones as they are the "banjo" type fitting. the rears stock on the VR-4's are threaded type.. need the banjo fittings on the rear for it to work...

Rears you can get either some good (Low KM) 2nd hand Evo ones (Evos 5-9 that actually had Brembos to start with is a good idea) Possibly Evo 10 ones but can't confirm that.

Think the HEL's were about $120 delivered when I bought them..... the rear HEL braideds actually rub on the hub vertical support/attach point to the upper control arm which isn't ideal...

best to purchase some genuine evo ones TBH...Check Ebay for Evo lancer braided lines and you'll see what's available..

Thanks for the reply Steve, however I am still not 100% sure what I need. From what I read previously you can't just buy a set of Evo lines as the fronts aren't a direct replacement for VR4s. So what I think would be needed would be a combo of these two sets

The fronts from these http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-brake-lines-for-mitsubishi-galant-vr4.html

and the rears from these http://www.helperformance.com.au/hel-brake-lines-for-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-6.html

Can anyone confirm?

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
The VR-4 fronts will work on brembos... i know i did the conversion myself.

Only the rear needs changing either to standard Evo ones (that had brembos) or a set of Evo 5-9 brembo braided lines.

Top Bottom