DON'S Twin TD05 Upgrade 56kb beware!

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Hello,

As most of you may of been suspecting (in regards to Christians Turbo kit thread)...yes... I have done an upgrade, read on and understanding why the thread has been held to a hault

I'll soon post up a members thread of my whole car's build, budget in excess of $3xxxx

THIS CAR IS AUTO BY THE WAY

So let's get into it

Turbo's are TD05 16G Subaru STI Housing (With Mitsubishi Wheel as standard)
Rating of Turbo is capable of up to 380HP each with 28psi max, Internal Actuators as standard at 8psi

Oil Cooler and relocation kit is of KLS brand which can be found from 999Automotive

Intercooler is of 600x300x100 (Yes, 100mm thick)

Power Steering cooler kit, $10 from Wreckers off a VN Commodore, came free with some fluid

that's it, everything else was customized which is only the Exhaust side of things, oil sandwich plate, and front turbo water/oil lines as you'll be mating to standard manifold

Okay, I can't be bothered labelling the photo's in order but I'll describe in the best sequence if possible almost like instructions in 'how to'..(Plus more photo's to arrive as well) and my apologies... I wanted to take more photo's but it's pretty hard to do it when you've got greasy hands

Time of build, 3 Weekends (no Overtime, literally about 8-9hrs day)

This is in a 'real' life situation where it's proven you can do it, at your home, with limited resources, if you have some sort of Tiny Asian Arms like I have, that helps and Being in a tradie helps more with that 'can do' attitude

-Obviously you'd have to take everything apart, intake manifold, bumper, radiator, instake pipes, turbo's the lot
Hardest part in the removal is the heat shield to the rear turbo, the bolts on them are ridiculously hard, lucky I've got an adjustable socket head where I can undo things all sorts of angels

- Now they have been removed, you've realised, the rear turbo is the easiest thing in the world to reach to, so start grabbing your Subaru designed turbos, measure up against your old turbo for the flange, or simply get some new Turbo gaskets, now in the picture, you'll see where I've drilled it out, that's the ONLY place to drill it out. You can only use one existing hole, and two new holes is required. (I did this with my Battery Drill, easy as)

- Rear turbo now sits on a treat, front turbo, uh oh, the oil filter sandwich plate is hitting the turbo! and the engine mount too shit! well, take it all out, as you can see in the photo's, the oil sandwhich I've modified it, (it's not like that now, but more hardcore) but weld it with speedflow fittings for you oil relocation kit. This same applies to the Engine mount as it's now a half moon shape to clear the intake of the turbo (not the compressor housing)

- Rear turbo oil lines, water lines, hey hey, STRAIGHT BOLT ON (gosh rear turbo was easy) Front turbo obviously is a pain in the arse, new custom lines for oil, water is required, but not that hard. Now your radiator is hitting the compressor housing, I took out the fan, KEPT the shroud, but put a slimline fan inside, and BAM sweet

- Turbo intake pipe, I've decided to keep standard, cause I've noticed alot of folks whom upgarded, still kept the y piece behind the airbox to make things happen, soo....i've kept the whole lot, just get 2.25" silicone joiners, to join up to the new turbs

- Turbo intercooler pipe, same deal, stock, just get some 2.5" silicone joiner to join to the turbs, yes you'll have to cut out the end part of the pipe which connected to the turbo then flare it out

- Intercooler is just like any other install and no cutting of Reo bar whatsoever, just Vee Mounted

- Oil Cooler kit is installed front right as it was the best, Vee mounted was the only option for it's size, also as you can see, it's 'boxed' in as I've done with the Sheet metal to get the full air force

- Oil Filter is mounted at bottom of car you can see, as I thought was the best as it can drain out the cooler well

- Power Steering cooler was easy, just matter of removing the old cooler, get new power steering lines and re-route it to as per location

- My Dumps are 2.5" and both run to 3" front pipe with Truck style flexi joiner (HEAPS cheaper and doesn't fray like the traditional types, but freakin hard to weld to) and also clears the Cusco lower arm brace

There's obviously quite abit I've left out, but, feel free to ask, How much power does it make you say?

Car at the moment is in APC Motorsports, I've already got a Haltech standalone running it and they're doing the major service etc etc while it's there so... it'll either be end of this week, or definetly next week to get it rolling. It's already been there for a couple of weeks already so yeah not long

Plus I hate to post up something and wait for ages, so you guys only have to wait Two weeks if that to see the results

Power...meh who knows

but I do know that, my car last tuned, 14psi 173kw, drove with this setup, same 173kw feel but hovered around 8psi

All in all, TD04 would be ideal as this turbo is extremely close to firewall, so upgrading to full polyurethane mounts is a MUST to stiff the engine, and would possibly reduce the fitment labour time like I have

okay, pictures (and remember, there'll be more
IMGP8442.JPG
w
IMGP8480.JPG
h
IMGP8458.JPG
e
IMGP8459.JPG
n
IMGP8444.JPG
IMGP8445.JPG
c
IMGP8476.JPG
a
IMGP8446.JPG
r
IMGP8448.JPG
IMGP8447.JPG
c
IMGP8449.JPG
o
IMGP8473.JPG
m
IMGP8443.JPG
e
IMGP8478.JPG
s
IMGP8477.JPG
IMGP8457.JPG
b
IMGP8474.JPG
a
IMGP8475.JPG
c
IMGP8468.JPG
k
IMGP8479.JPG
)
IMGP8451.JPG

IMGP8460.JPG

IMGP8450.JPG

IMGP8450.JPG
IMGP8460.JPG
IMGP8451.JPG
IMGP8479.JPG
IMGP8468.JPG
IMGP8475.JPG
IMGP8474.JPG
IMGP8457.JPG
IMGP8477.JPG
IMGP8478.JPG
IMGP8443.JPG
IMGP8473.JPG
IMGP8449.JPG
IMGP8447.JPG
IMGP8448.JPG
IMGP8446.JPG
IMGP8476.JPG
IMGP8445.JPG
IMGP8444.JPG
IMGP8459.JPG
IMGP8458.JPG
IMGP8480.JPG
IMGP8442.JPG

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yay! i can talk about it now.

for a DIY, this is awesome. good work don. is it running and tuned yet? or do APC still hav it, fixing the 'issues' ?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Nice work Don, thanks for the progress pics too. Inspirational stuff seeing you complete this at home on the weekends. Top job.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
seeing that you have posted this, does this mean its back on the road? :D

/subscribed

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Not on the road, but am on RDO hence why i've got the time to post

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Wow! All at home in the back yard, that's impressive. Hope its smooth sailing from here.

markasia

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark Ly
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Awesome job, definately looking forward to the finishing product =]

Subscribed Indeed!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Std dump for rear turbo or still being made? literally back yard mechanic ftw

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Rear turbo dump is made by me, originally i welded both dumps as one piece with front pipe..

But removing was an issue, other than that, the car is pretty much completed just matter of waiting for tune :)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The other thing, you said that you can only use one existing bolt hole and have to drill two new ones, but the image only shows one extra hole drilled?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
If you were you were to buy the kinaguwara turbo, get the smallest housing 7cm (5mm clearance from the firewall)

Regarding to the holes drilled.. the image displayed is the rear turbo, i had to chop off the flange plate straight off, so looking at it directly now, top and far right hole is orignal, the left, and right closest hole are drilled, orignal wrx flange is kidney shaped

G

Unregistered
Are you or have you filled the other bolt holes that you're no longer using?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
No, check out the photo where you can see the compressor wheel and engine mount :)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I put my power steering cooler onto the radiator - I bought a PWR kit so it came with the nice cable tie mount things.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Same, got Ivan's cooler kit and used those cable tie like devices supplied to mount the ps cooler to the radiator in lieu of having awesome "Don-style"(TM) fabrication skills hehe :p Surely this method will cop some heat soak?

Is there a thermostat in your oil cooler loop somewhere Don?

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
I can't mount the power steering cooler to the radiator because i've already got a derale transmission cooler there ;)

And as for the thermostat, none, very soon to get a haltech racepak dash to 'look' and monitor everything before flogging anyway...

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
If you were you were to buy the kinaguwara turbo, get the smallest housing 7cm (5mm clearance from the firewall)

Regarding to the holes drilled.. the image displayed is the rear turbo, i had to chop off the flange plate straight off, so looking at it directly now, top and far right hole is orignal, the left, and right closest hole are drilled, orignal wrx flange is kidney shaped

Ah, yes. Can see that now.

Awesome stuff, Don.

How laggy did it feel on the untuned, short drive you took?

Good luck with the rest of it!

Top Bottom