Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Thanks for clearing that up Joel! makes sense

Okay, so I've just taken plenty of pictures

The Current Dyno result IS......179kw at all 4 on same as previous 14psi! that's right, you heard me, but, that's the running tune for meantime.....

I think APC really richened up the tune when it's on boost, cause wow, it goes down haha

Why you ask? Well, long story short, I blew the bottom end of the 6A13 straight after when I put the new turbs in (about 50m from my house) So thankfully Christian (Naughtika) happly sourced me a motor immediately for replacement which was done by APC (as well as major service kit I had ready and tune and stuff)

So, am I happy? well.... for the result at the moment, yes, but the number doesn't bother me until when you're in the vehicle, torque feels MASSIVE from the 5kw gain with stock turbs. Daily driving is actually reallly really good, considering i'm not in boost at all! (great on fuel for that!)

Boost, kicks full at 5000rpm, BUT with AUTO (as it has a torque converter) the lag doesn't exist to be honest, with Manual, I'd be concerned with you boys whom want to go big, I'd honestly would go the smallest such as TD04L or so

But Top End is absolutely great! (and Its always been tuned for Top end)

The Car will go for another Tune, when? not anytime soon (As I've got a business to setup now) but..... you never know ;)

PS. I asked APC see if they reckon the stock airbox and piping is a restriction of any sort
simple answer - no

Okay so here comes the pictures (take a nice close look of how my oil relocation is welded up to the sandwich plate under the turbo, that's how I did it in the end to clear the turbo)

Dyno sheet will show Previous tune with Standard Turbos (Both tunes consisting of 560cc injectors, fuel pump, blah blah) in Red, with Current Tune in Blue (Look at that boost line, nice and SMOOOTH on both of mine whereas Robs Garretts Boost curve is ^^^^^ lumpy)

All in All, Happy with APC's work, they even checked and found that the stock front actuator is leaking, so they've replaced it

Pi
IMGP8536.JPG
c
IMGP8530.JPG
t
IMGP8534.JPG
u
IMGP8539.JPG
r
IMGP8531.JPG
e
IMGP8524.JPG
s
IMGP8522.JPG
s
IMGP8527.JPG
s
IMGP8528.JPG
s
IMGP8525.JPG

IMGP8523.JPG

IMGP8526.JPG

IMGP8529.JPG

IMGP8529.JPG
IMGP8526.JPG
IMGP8523.JPG
IMGP8525.JPG
IMGP8528.JPG
IMGP8527.JPG
IMGP8522.JPG
IMGP8524.JPG
IMGP8531.JPG
IMGP8539.JPG
IMGP8534.JPG
IMGP8530.JPG
IMGP8536.JPG

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
So you blew the bottom end of an engine, can I ask how? It just seems to be a rare thing, nice to know what the limit was....

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
After conversion was done at my premisis

Started up motor, left running for 1-2hrs straight to make sure there were no leaks and or starvation of oil

Then took for a test drive for a bit, then gave it some, to see what boost was like, going great around 10psi here there, then toward back home.. BOOM!!! Clack clack clack clack...

Idled fine, clack goes loud with revs higher, i thought, tensioner on timing must've gave way and hopped half a tooth? As noise sounded from cylinder 5? (Minor bent valves)

When APC took apart the sump, found bearings, metal bit and a NUT

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Ahhh, so doubt that you hit a performance limiting problem then, more bad luck than anything, well done for not becoming disillusioned at that point

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Interesting to see your power output is kind of similar to what i got, ive also seen a great increase in torque but it would be nice if it all worked properly

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Good to see you got it all running, hats off mate. I personally think it has a lot more potential, esp considering the size of those turbos. It's possible there is some kind of restricting factor. Its definitely a good start. It can be a pain in the ass discovering what the restriction/limiting factor is though.

VR4CE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Vince
Drive
Galant VR4
How many Km's on your car? if its high it could have been a contributing factor to why the bottom end let go

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
car isn't high Km's, not even due for Major service

but, being import, who knows what life it had in Japan, otherwise, I'm really happy with what I've got now :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I'd say poor maintenance in the land of the rising sun is the most likely cause.... Just bad luck with the timing of it. Glad it's worked out in the end Don. :)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Could the compliance cat play a part in keeping some wasps from breaking loose?

Great project Don :)

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I'm amazed at the boost curve being so smooth given your supersized turbos! Nice job fitting the oil cooler and sand wedge plate too. IMO if you went bigger piping; 2.5" Y pipe to 3", to increase volume of air flow then your power figure would be much higher at 14psi, but then you probably would get a sharp boost increase at 3500-4krpm which would make things less smooth and not so daily driver friendly.

peongster

Idling at the Lights
First Name
garth
Drive
Galant vr-g converted to vr4
Hmm i wonder if you put extra oil to compensate for the use of an oil cooler?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Obviously you would fill it to the "full" mark on the Dipstick as per usual and yes it would require slightly more oil then usual

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sorry but your dyno graphs don't make sense. Kenneth emailed me the day after you put them up but I never got around to replying!

The TD05's match the boost of the TD03's at a little bit past 150kmh, but the TD05's don't make more power until 170kmh or so. Because the TD05's are so much bigger, you should be making more power with the same amount of boost compared to the TD03's. Also 14psi at those high rpm's really should be producing a lot more power than that. I think something is causing a fairly large bottleneck there, possibly piping?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Good point Brad, I had a problem with my intake piping at one stage too. Your turbo intake pipe size should be at least 2 1/4 or 2.5'' wide with an 80mm neck at the filter.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
yes good spotting Brad, I recognized that as well as ofcourse, the 'volume' of the TD05's is greater than TD03's hence there should be a great amount of power increase

at the moment, no, there's no restriction at this current state because there's still that amount of 'boost' at the manifold, it's just the tune, it's just 'run in' cause keep in mind, I did blow the old motor. There's still room for play EASY, just a another tune and presto! Keep in mind, this base of plan and inspiration was based off Valmes build.

At this stage, I couldn't be bothered nor the time to re-tune the car, as I have other interests and goals to aim for now :) as I've decided to sell it off as per for sale thread

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I'd be keen to have a go, I guess it's runnning kinda rich? someone hurry up and buy it :)

Top Bottom