Engine rebuild...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I bought this engine off Mitch (6A13TTFTO) last year and have been steadily dismantling it with the help of Macca who has a wealth of expertise.

Here's some shots of the dismantling of the engine so far.

A highly sophisticated piece of hardware used for compressing the valve springs.
P1020210_S.jpg

P1020211_S.jpg

P1020212_S.jpg

P1020215_S.jpg

P1020216_S.jpg

The reason there was so much noise in the head... an oil starved cam bearing.
P1020217_S.jpg

Serious scoring there, might need to replace the head...
P1020217_S2.jpg

Bearing cap looks a bit worse
P1020224_S2.jpg

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Woo, we rule. (y) We probably should have taken some more photos along the way :ROFLMAO: will have to take some of it all spread out on the pallet.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I wont steal Josh's thunder for the plans for the engine but i will say it should be great when its finished. :)

The scratches look to be quite deep but less than a mm. The cam cap shown in the last picture is quite worn, you can actually see how its been worn if you look at it from the side and there is a lip between the worn spot and the rest of it.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah prolly about .1mm deep so I'll get a quote that's if any machining shops will repair alloy, and weigh that up with the cost of a second hand rear head.

Power wise this will be all out as much as possible. Maybe around 500kw atw. Turbo size - (twin) something from the Garret GT30 family. I have good connections with people & mates who have experience doing custom manifolds who have mainly worked on twin turboing small and big block V8's on the mud racers here.

Pistons and conrods will be forged, the crank will remain but will get that cleaned, balanced and nitrided. Cams - 272 HKS with adjustable cam gears. Valves and springs will remain. Heads - acid dip, light shaving to eliminate any warping, ports - light hone. Cylinder bores - light hone (you can still see the original honing marks). Block - Acid dipped, painted. All the other usual stuff like seals, gaskets replaced.

This is something though that will take a lot of planning and money and as yet haven't spent much at all. At the moment the engine build itself will be around 4-5k and then turbos will prolly be another 2-3k. So give it a good year and depending on how my business goes it might get done sooner.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Nice gloves do they come in pink? N they are so clean did u guys just put em on for the pics :)

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
OoooOoooh, 6A13TT Mivec screamer. Nice.

That scoring could be welded & then tunnel bored.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Nice gloves do they come in pink? N they are so clean did u guys just put em on for the pics :)

Your all a bunch of wise asses :p Josh picked up some gloves because I kept cutting my hands when we took the rest of the engine apart :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Your all a bunch of wise asses :p Josh picked up some gloves because I kept cutting my hands when we took the rest of the engine apart :)

no pain no gain! :D but yah.. pulling the engine/head apart can give you cuts and bruises..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto

Yeah I thought Macca had very generously given enough blood. Word of caution... don't touch the piston rings, they're like razorblades!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Gotta start somewhere, hope it delivers what you want!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Very nice, 500kw at the wheels with two gt30r turbos would be easy, you can make 300kw with a single.

G

Unregistered
very nice mate :) this is definitely one thread to keep an eye on! :D

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So what's happening with this one Josh??
Im about to re-start my rebuild. Should be complete in around 4 weeks...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Stalled atm. But hopefully will pick this up again in September/October. Macca and I are still cleaning and working out what's salvageable. Looks like I'll need a new head with valves and all. As ecu flash is making leaps and bounds I'll be going for a less power figure but still kickass - 280awkw with TD04L's. Mainly for the conservative POV and drivability thing. Will post updates as they come.
Btw sorry to hear about your engine blowing up again!! That sucks dude. Are you going forged internals this time round?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thats a shame about the heads :-(
I"ll have to read up on the ECU flash, been away from this site for a while.
Nope, just a standard rebuild, not chasing any more power, so just doing all the normal bits and pieces. I will "modify a few things" but she'll be pretty normal, just a fresh one!!

Top Bottom