Engine rebuild...

msleggy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nicole
Drive
Legnum
hey guys done a fair bit of the 4g motors with crank swaps an making 2.4 hybrids anybody know if any other cranks are swapable with ours say the 3.5l aus magnas ??????? new to the 6a world thanx guys

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
6g wont fit in 6a

however, feel free to get a gen 6g75 block and 6g72 dohc heads and go bananas fitting a 3.8L quad cam hybrid :)

msleggy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nicole
Drive
Legnum
spewin u anit in syd paulie we would be a building that buddy ,add me mate this is ms leggys husband so i can cross ref you sometime thanx again buddy

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
the crankshaft is my main concern with my planned engine build
(being a crossover from clubvr4 "adam.findlay")
i have a spare engine which is waiting in my garage for forged pistons and rods, i will use pauter rods with JE pistons and plan to use two GT2860RS turbos and aim for as much power as i can with as close to 10,000rpm as i can get.

but in my readings in club vr4 the user ZENTAC has a forged 6a13tt and said anything above 600 ponies he was getting microcracking and warping in the stock crank.
all well and good making the block, heads pistons and rods able to take the force of 1000 suns but if the crank cannot handle the power whats the point.

long story short
-josh what did you plan to do with your crank when you were planning on 500kw??
-how difficult would you guys think/how expensive would it be to get a forged crank made up

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Hebrew,
Cheers for the advice on the crank, not sure what to do about replacing it. My guess is really freaking expensive to get one made - over 3k. This is not really something we thought about so I guess the power figure we're chasing will be a bit less to ensure longevity.
UPDATE:
I have recently acquired a wrecked VR4 with good mechanicals. I will probably use that for my engine build. The older engine in the first post will be used for spares.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Josh.

Can you take some pick of the oil filter side. From the caps it looks like the oil filter would normally come straight off the block like the 6a12. But it then it has an attachment which moves it to it's actual location

If this is the case I would like to get hold of one of those to see if I can make an adaptor for an oil cooler and filter relocator

Regards

Gavin

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yes, you can take the arm off and fit a filter to the block, I even bought a couple of spin on filter spindles to fit an adapter plate directly to the block but one of the oil lines for the turbo is connected to that arm and there isn't enough room between the block and the turbo to fit the adapter block. Unless you got a custom unit made or have a really thing adapter block.

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Macca.

Thanks for the info. So what I need to do is get a hold of one of these arms off an engine and then see if I can make a replacement for it.

So need to find a dead engine somewhere.

Wonder if somebody in Melbourne has one out of a car

I know jeff at Techsport is going to he pulling one from a wreck soon. Just not sure when.

Regards

Gavin

Top Bottom