EOI: FLash Tune by Merlin Part 3

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey fellas, I would like to see if anyone else in Queensland (most likely Brisbane, Sunny or Gold Coast) would like to get their ecu's flashed..

As we (if not most) all know 7202 and 7203 are now flashable and when done right, can provide better performance and better economy as a bonus!

So who's up?

I need 3 people.. (usually takes 30 minutes to 2 hours dependent on your car's status)

For Members wanting an update from their previous flash tune.. (usually doesn't take more than 30 minutes)
1. unclepaulie
5. naughtika

*Note*
I'm only organizing this since Dave (Merlin) suggested to see if we can havethis done on the same date as the dyno day.. which is on the 25th September..

if there are enough interest and confirmation from members.. I will lock it in with Dave..

*COST*
at this stage, Im not totally sure.. I will ask him and confirm with him..

*REQUIREMENTS*
Justputting this out here now to save time and trouble of fixing things on the dyno day and tune day..

Please make sure of the following

1. Intake System - Make sure that possible air leaks (under vacuum or pressure) is sorted - if you need help with this let me know, and I will try to help (*1)

2. Boost Controller - If you plan on using one, please pre-arrange the installation of such device/hardware - As far as I know, Dave only does the tuning part, not the installtion (*2)

3. Service - Preferably you service your car prior to the tune day, that way you know as well Dave know's that the engine will run on its peak
efficiency - this includes, engine oil, transmission, Transfer Case, Rear Diff and AYC if you have it.. (*1)

4. Make sure that your ecu is flashable, when I say this, if yours can communicate with evoscan and know its 7202 or 7203, I can't see why it can't be flashed (*3)

5. Coilpacks - make sure that you're not having issues with it, if you get a misfire or hesitation at certain revs, do a service or try replacing the spark plugs with the correct gap. (*4)

6. Be prepared and double check things a day or 2 before.. I know I did.

*1 - I can try and will help with this if you would like me to, as long as the date and time doesn't interfere with my work and other schedules..
- I can try and help you install the boost controller, whether its electrical or mechanical.. just be reminded that I've never installed an electric boost controller before, but if provided with the install manual, it shouldn't be a problem. with the Manual Boost Controller - it's bloody easy that you should be able to install it yourself.. same as above..
*3 - prior to getting my car tuned, I had 7201 and swapped it with a 7203 chipped ecu..
4 - reason for this, previous members had issues with their coil-packs and were unable to obtain the full tune that they deserve. a procedure exist in the guide section in servicing the coil packs and replacing your spark plugs..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
make sure your coilpacks are workin 100% too :(

chris, is this for full on, new flashes or updates?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
the above empty list are for new tunes only..

any members who wants a 'tickle' from Merlin, will need to confirm with me first as he needs to know what he'll be doing.. just so that he's prepared..

.. but I don't see why its a problem..

I'll add a list for members who would like a tickle.. :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If I can get a bigger intercooler fitted in time I would like to do at least 1 logging run to get it tuned in properly.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
If I have a new clutch by then i'll get mine done..... My clutch is a sad panda on high boost right now :(

Maybe I should get the week off prior to this, get the clutch done up there, bed the clutch all week, get a tune and a dyno readout and get real drunk on the beach? :p

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If I have a new clutch by then i'll get mine done..... My clutch is a sad panda on high boost right now :(

I will get the week off prior to this, get the clutch done up there, bed the clutch all week, get a tune and a dyno readout and get real drunk on the beach? :p

fixed. Ill see you there Dawso :)

G

Unregistered
I'm away on the 25th so can't do this one :cursing: but if the event mutates to another date in the future I will put my hand up for a tickle...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I'm keen as. I'll check my ECU on the weekend and make sure its all good, then submit my leave application :)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Christian,

Can't the boost be controlled by the ECU? I haven't been following the ECU tune thread, but if the Miniceptor can control the boost then I would have thought that modifying a setting in the ECU would also be able to lift the boost.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Ecu can rune 14-15 psi(i've got that now after flash) but i guess if you want to go higher you need boost control

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Rasi, we can do ECU boost control.

edit1: hehe, qball beat me by 15 seconds.

edit2: if you remove the little restrictor in the throat of the BCS, so it can flow/bypass a bit more air, boost can be raised/controlled a bit more than 14-15 psi.

edit3: I really liked how well Jamies HDi boost controller and fancy gauge worked, will probably get this setup myself.

edit4: I am not available on 9th Oct.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
fellas.. since the dyno day is now scheduled for Oct 9..

Do you all still want this to go on this date?

if members still prefer to have this date separate from the dyno day.. it is fine with me.. I think I prefer it this way too!

also which location would you guys like to hold this on?! Brisbane or Gold Coast suits me..

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
-somewhere quiet
-with power
-shade
-parking
-no steep driveways
-at least one straight road

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Rasi, we can do ECU boost control.

edit1: hehe, qball beat me by 15 seconds.

edit2: if you remove the little restrictor in the throat of the BCS, so it can flow/bypass a bit more air, boost can be raised/controlled a bit more than 14-15 psi.

edit3: I really liked how well Jamies HDi boost controller and fancy gauge worked, will probably get this setup myself.

edit4: Tim, could one of the guys bring your car?

ECU can only control boost if the solenoid has not been bypassed, right?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Trev, that's correct.. so if running a boost controller, manual or electronic.. keep the factory solenoid out of the loop.. (before turbo & after turbo)

Top Bottom