Our ECU Flash-Tune Day With Merlin

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Thanks guys, it was a good day, but I'm feeling a bit shattered today.

Chris, you need to find out if its boost cut or coils, as the guys have said.
Boost cut is a really severe effect, like trying to launch you through the windscreen.
Coil breakdown is a bit more subtle, with a lot of stuttering and you can usually drive just under it.
Its exacerbated with boost naturally.
If you ever read the Skyline forums you will realise that everyone making boost ends up with Splitfire coils - me included.
However, it could well still be boost cut, I diddnt set it too high, 220 load.
If your boost gauge is reading a bit low, then BC is probably the answer.

As I hinted on the day, I think you all need to put a decent boost controller on your shopping lists.

For those wondering what mods to do, one of the best is a good front mount intercooler.
From a tuners point of view I can see (every time) that the V6 just loves it when you lean on the TD03s.

Trevor, thinking about your issue, is it possible you fitted the recirculation valve arse about?
That could explain it maybe, as manifold pressure would just blow it open. Dont know if thats even physically possibe, just a thought.

A big thankyou to Trevors parents, they looked after us all very well and made us fell right at home.
If another group want to get something organised, get in touch with Trevor or myself and we will try and work it out.
Oh, and my notebook got left behind, in a door pocket or in the garage.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I am 99% sure it is plumbed correctly. The little vaccum hose is in place and all hoses are done up tight.

Does the boost running into the bovpush against the diaphragm or behind it? If it pushes against it then I have plumbed it correctly. If it is around the other way, I am an idiot.

It is running nice now, I will wind the wick up a little more and see how it goes.

Your pad may be in christians car?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
yup, I got it.. how would you like it sent Dave? pm me the details please and I'll post it tomorrow morning..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Im very happy with the tune. Little scary when you put your foot down in 3rd and it hits 1.2bar but the resulting power always leaves a big grin. Im not sure if its cracked 200, but damn it feels a crazy amount faster than what it felt at 188kw..

G

Unregistered
What were you all mainly tuning for.. power? economy? or the best of both, is that achievable?

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
One item I wanted to dig into, but unfortunately had no time, is the fan control.
Josh has an aftermarket fan controller on his, and naturally enough his ran sensible temps.
The others ran temps that to me are above optimal settings. So I would like to try and find the fan control tables.
So, if someone can do a log, monitoring temp, at idle, stationary, A/c off, and tell me at what temp the main fan kicks in, that would be a great help.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
What were you all mainly tuning for.. power? economy? or the best of both, is that achievable?

For me it was more-so economy. That was the only way i could justify the expense to my better half lol. Picking up performance was a bonus but i expected some gains regardless running higher boost.

I will see how the economy side goes in a couple of tanks.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
My main desire was and is power.. I figure if i wanted economy why the hell would i drive a vr4? I bought it cause it has 6 cylinders, 2 turbos and an all wheel drive system.. Had i wanted economy there are farrr more economic cars available that still have a bit of 'go' where needed :)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Not all of us bought the cars JUST for the turbos and AWD, some of us needed an Auto gearbox and a big boot for the missus lol. Im not so worried about the fuel economy myself, but if I want to get the missus driving the VR4 instead of the Yaris (cause I want to sell it) It needs better fuel economy :p

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
like what Chris said, thanks to Dave for sharing his wisdom, to Trev for arranging this and to his parents for letting us use their garage..

I've done 420kms and still have more than 1/4 tank of petrol :)

*sobs* hopefully next time you come Dave you'll have the 7203's sorted... and I'll have sold the old house to pay for a tune :(

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey Matt, I do have the MH7203FA ecu in my car.. used to have 7201..

I filled up last night with 48l and total kms travelled was 477.1kms according to my trip computer..

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
7203 is sorted, or at least very worried.

Have been searching for the fan control, not found it yet.
But I did find the coil dwell table.

edit:
Found the little buggers for the 7202 and 7203 ECUs.
With settings where the temp has to hit 109*C before the fan is at 100% duty cycle. Which tends to agree with the weekends logging.

This is a good find, maybe we can get your operating temps to sit at about 95*C instead of 105*C.
Note that Josh's temps sat at 95-96 typically with his aftermarket fan controller setup.

edit again:
Just found the thermo fan and ignition coil tables in the 7201 ECU as well. I call that a good days work.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
hey Matt, I do have the MH7203FA ecu in my car.. used to have 7201..

I filled up last night with 48l and total kms travelled was 477.1kms according to my trip computer..

10.06 l/100 = Nice

Top Bottom