SA Mechanics

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Steve, it's been pretty much summed up in the last few posts, but I will add that since Eddy went to SKR, they have advanced an can now flash the 01/02 ECU's. These have the MH7203FA chipset and can indeed be flashed, and robs car was SKRs "test" car for getting it working.

It sounds like GW are not completely up to speed with mitsubishi/VR4 tuning, so unless you want to pay to be the guinea pig, I would take your business elsewhere.
I would strongly suggest getting back any money from GW and taking your business to SKR.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Thanks for the info guys but already been stung hey, learnt my lesson to shop around GW are finishing my car off as we speak and time off through the week is hard for me so i left it there and took the loan car pick it up thursday arvo! Sometimes i with i never bought a 02 vr4 Galant hard to find places and when u do they seem to bend you over bad because everything in this state seems to be Nissan, Ford and Holden:/

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
That sucks! I've learnt to just ask on here before I go and do anything, that way you get the benefit of other peoples' mistakes and won't make them yourself :(
I'm pretty sure that the guy who earned GW a good tuning rep left them a few years ago and went up to Classic Performance anyway. Fingers crossed they've done a good job, at least then you won't feel as bad! Out of curiosity what ECU did they replace yours with?

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
And a note for the one ecu that SKR bricked (temporarily), since Steve sorted his software out he was able to fix it, and now consistently makes200awkw as this was me.

Seriously guys, use the search, this has been discussed heaps (mainly in the ECU Flash for VR4 thread). There should not be any VR4 owner in Adelaide who does not know who can actually flash their respective ecu.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Very sure 7203 has been replaced with a 7202 not 100% sure pick it up tomorrow afternoon earliest i can get there:/ only other mods i have are High flow panel filter and front pipes and cat bak system wat kw's would i be looking at???

I will be having a serious talk with GW when i pick the car up and thats for sure even though its way to late and i have found myself being bent over hard:/

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
How is GW getting $500 for a ecu that he can flash tune is this new price?? Is it fair for me to argue the price $1370 thats including sourcing another ecu very sure a 7202 is there any down side losing my 7203?? thanks guys for any info given

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
What does SKR stand for guys as a business name sorry for so many inputs just so i can tell GW just spoke to him on the phone!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Also mate definitely keep your 7203, as even if you lose out and end up having to pay the $500 for a 7202 via GW, you will probably be able to sell your 7203 to an SA member with a 7201 who wants a flashable ECU. I don't have any idea if they can source them new but I know that I personally couldn't. Seems about $200 too expensive for the ECU. $1370 is a BIG bill for a dyno tune.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Thanks lee spoke the Steve Knight sounds like a top guy. Told GW to revert everything back to what it was and i will pay for any dyno time and to leave my 7302 right were it is and i am picking the car up tomorrow afternoon. When i get time off i will drop it into Steve to be done, GW have had it since monday and so far nothing:/ GW seem to take there time and seem to think they can lean on Steve when in trouble, Steve doesnt want to help them which is Fair enough. Just hope my car is ok:/

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Steve, I saw your car resting peacefully out the front on my way home tonight - I'm sure its fine ;)

Also, I would just like to point out here that I have no issue with GW tuning the VR4s, however the issue I've seen here has been they clearly wanted to charge Steve to be their guinea pig. If they had gone about it in a much better way of saying that his would have been the first, and that it may take time BUT the cost is fixed at $xx which is a fair price then I believe Steve would have been able to leave his car with them.

We have the upcoming dyno day with GW and I think it will be a good day. It will be good to see how they run a dyno day as they have a very good rep for this in the past. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the owners/workers to chat with them about the VR4 and their take on the state of tunes etc, and how they see the tuning of them going forward ;)

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
The thing that sucks is now i have to find the time to get the car to Steve and i booked this in to be done at GW almost 1 month ago and then further 1 week to find out i just wasted my time, i have to wait at least 3 weeks till my next day off which sucks even more:/ thanks again for the help everyone and thanks a million Lee and hope all goes well on your dyno day at GW

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Update on GW tune.... picked up car today with the response from GW that flash tune could have been done but due to the software not responding, they didnt complete. Stated that chip was a 'burn once only chip' and that this will not allow tuning. To top the whole experience up...on inspecting my car on picking up, found multiple scratches on back guard and front grill as well as dash garnish and centre console was not put back together properly. Disappointed about care taken with car. :-(

Dyno tune showed car put out 158.5kw at 10psi, if flash tune went ahead would have seen 175kw at 12psi...guess not bad figures for only mods being panel filter upgrade and full custom exhaust.

Inspite

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Inspite
Drive
2001 VR-4 Galant
I feel guilty posting this up Steve as you haven't had a good run but I thought I'd update.

I took the car in on Friday to Steve Knight Racing and got some decent improvements.

TORQUE 644.7 NM @ 74 KPH > 767.6 NM @ 82 KPH

POWER: 149 KW @ 107 KPH > 173.3 KW @ 105 KPH

Turbo boost was upped from 7 to 9.5 and that's where Steve thinks a replacement boost solenoid will improve things.

Power is much more progressive and I'm really happy that its using less fuel as it was running quite rich.

All up it was around 4 hours @ $150 an hour but Steve said once the solenoid comes in he'll get me back in at no extra cost.

I'm really happy with his service.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Can't complain about 25kwatw extra, off less fuel :)

To Steve, if the scratches etc. weren't there before the car went in then you should be hitting them up for some compensation... I'm not sure how that kind of thing works as I've never had to do it but it doesn't seem right that you would be stuck with the bill for it. Sounds like a pretty disappointing run, which is a shame as generally GW seem pretty competent and they were always good to my Honda when I had it.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Spent today polishing scratches out being black makes matters worst , and didnt help being moved in and out of the workshop over 5 days lucky that all polished out except for some on the grill which i will try plastic polish, seems someone was leaning over it with a belt on maybe? found them once i washed the car because car was dirty being outside all week:/ Not the first time either sinergy scuffed my rim bad when it was in getting service, to much stuffing around and time which i dont have for compensation starting to think my car is bad luck or i need to be like a hawk when picking it up. Calling SKR up tomorrow and booking it in soon 4hrs at $150 sounds very fair and really wanting the tune completed:p

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
^^ who at sinergy scratched ya mag??? Did u tell them?? They would of fixed for u.... They broke my engine cover when doing my powersteering pump and got one in for me right away for free....

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Mechanic out the back did it when my AYC was being serviced and also spilt fluids over the guards/bumper. He said knew nothing of it but would fix it for me, told him to stick it and never returned again. bought my car from him as did my work mate and returned for services and was slapped in the face just like GW putting my faith in SKR one more problem and i will sell it and buy a cheap runner thats for sure

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Fair enough but rob is a good bloke with stuff like that n would of fixed it all up cause at the end of the day people aren't robots and do make mistakes... And yes I would be really pissed too like u but would of got them to fix it... Anyways it's your car your choice hope SKR works out for ya mate cause it will be a shame if u have to sell

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
Fingers crossed booked in for flash tune on wendesday at SKR hope all goes well, should be putting out 175kw at 12psi, and if i am happy with his work i will book it in for its major service currently on 93000kms if things go bad i will be putting her up for sale so its crunch time:/ Steve Knight seems like he knows his stuff very well and remember the days when he worked on the scorpion in Zoom magazine:)

Top Bottom