Shifting and rev alteration issues

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I always provide my own fluids, especially when our cars are so sensitive when it comes to fluids. Sure as hell can't trust a mechanic to get it right.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
It already hasnt ended up well im still fighting to get my warranty sorted but u no wat warraty places are like -_- and i still have to do a service, plugs leads inc also high possability of 02 sensor aswell :( and if the oil isnt sufficiant enough then more $$$ to flush and fill with correct oil thats y i want to find out exactly what the oil specs are in the slim chance it is actually compatable for the gearbox but if its not i will be doing the flush myself but ive never done a flush on auto before so its gonna be a learning curve the whole way hmmmm i really need to sell my eunos 800m could use the extra dosh atm...

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Get the fluid changed pronto or it may be going to cost a lot more. And just because a certain fluid is used in a high end euro car doesn't necessarily make it right for a vr4. Thats why manufacturers have recommended fluids.

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
Hi T.J,
All is not lost and mistakes happen ( re incorrect fluids and people used to working on other cars). The previous posters have all given excellent advice.
I have a tiptronic as well. Not long after I bought it, I did the ATF flush and fill myself, never having done one before. Didn't want a shop doing it because they'd probably just dump and fill it, leaving half the old fluid still in there...
Anyway, it's quite straightforward, but you should have someone helping out, as you need to be paying attention during the "pump and fill " part. Are you a member of Club VR-4 ( UK)? A wealth of knowledge there, mate. That's where I learnt to do mine.
Keiran has written a guide specifically on how to Flush the ATF for our cars.
It's in the Resource Library, inside the Gearbox/Transmission Sub Forum. 10 posts down.
For those with tip 'boxes, it's worth the membership price just for that article alone, IMHO.
Good luck and keep us posted.

G

Unregistered
On second thoughts you should definitely contact Mark Lubricants for their ATF specifications first before talking to the workshop again. If you have been driving it around for months with the wrong fluid you could have damaged the transmission and it would be best to have the information at hand before you speak to the workshop again. Plus, if it does turn out to be the wrong fluid you may end up needing the specs for any future action against the workshop.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
No I havnt changed the fluid after checking it was sp3 and stated it was good for mitsi i and at the time I didnt have the funds. As I said in the auto trans post ill be making sure mitsi oil is wat will be going into it after they fix it and ill find out wat brand soft parts they used to rebuild it with. I think ill be printing out some more info about the box and those seals as u mentioned and give it to them to check thro.... I thought they would be on the ball with the rebuild since the boss was the one who did it and he owned a shop in NZ before this one and has rebuilt these boxes before... I guess if u want something done right do it urself :(

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
I just double checked the pic I took of the bottle and it is actually Total Fluide AT75 made in Singapore. They originally told me it was mark lube untill I asked to see the bottle. I would attach the pic but cant on my phone

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Thanks mate yeah I think it will be safer to run specific oil from now on.

heres the pic of the bottle anyway
2012-02-24 14.49.34 (800x600).jpg

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Well finally got a chance to get them to look at my car and wat do u no as soon as it got there it shifted beautifully no slipping and not so much jumping into 5th more of a firm shift grr :( so obviously they said there is nothing wrong ect and that 5th gear should be a firm shift into under power. It drove fine all the way back to work too...The only difference in my driving is when I need to give it a lil more throttle off the mark I switch to second to take off hmmm Guess ill just keep babying first and hopefully should be better.Also they said it should be due for its first service about now and it wont void my warranty if I service it as long as I give them proof so ill be doing that and changing to mitsi oil to be safe. As for wat brand the clutches are ect I forgot to ask.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Ok new update.... Gearbox has officially decided to crap its self :( and wat do u no its after the hardtune meet like all the way back in October when it first crapped up :( didnt drive the car very hard had a lil toy on the way home but thats it. So now im sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tilt tray :(..

G

Unregistered
What a bugger, did it sound nasty? I know where I'd be pointing the finger, there's no reason it should have died again if it had been rebuilt properly. Heck, if I can do it with no experience simply by following the service manual, it really makes you wonder how much attention to detail some of these places pay to what they are doing. After the rebuild, you shouldn't have had to baby it much at all. No racing for the first tank while the TCU relearns the shift points and the clutches bed in, just to make sure everything's working normally, but that's about it.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah I took 2 almost 3 full tanks before I even boosted when it was rebuilt :( im not happy at all and gonna specify they use genuine parts and oil to do it properly since they wont let me supply my own stuff.... And seriously thinking about name and shame path for this hopeless mob. Shoulda gone manual conversion woulda been cheaper :(

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
It didnt sound nasty really just locked into gear at lights on a crawl... Switched it to n and back to d and limped it accross road to the servo and noise dissapeared so I limped it a lil further and started hearing a light clunk noise so parked her up . Im at work waiting for the tow truck to come and drop it off the the trans mob... Gonna ask to inspect all parts I can while they have it apart grr

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Dude...:( That bites hard.
You best not be paying a cent more for their colossal fuckup!

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Did they change the wave spring when they rebuilt it originally?

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah I wont be even gonna try get money back for the tilt tray... I brought the car back to them and everything only a week ago and they said the gearbox isgreat nothing wrong with it :(

Yep they upgraded wave spring, welded planetary pins and shift kitted it... must have used cheap crap parts

G

Unregistered
Threaten them with department of fair trading, threaten to have workplace health and safety inspect their premises, tell them you will report them to your traffic authority (RTA,VicRoads etc) and lastly threaten ACA.My mate went through a similar thing and did that and eventually come to an agreement and he got all his money back.

Top Bottom