Shifting and rev alteration issues

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If I was in your position, Im not sure I would even want to drive a vr4 anymore, it would piss me off that much.

Sorry but I dont 2500 will come close to covering a conversion, double that number and put a bit more on top lol.

Goodluck getting it sorted, hopefully you can prove its their fault. I would get your broken auto looked at by someone else.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah I read it and by the way they were talking they will do anything to get out of it even change parts around sneakly as they do keep broken parts for short time till they scrap them so sure they will dodgy something.
As for the conversion ill do it myself cars are my hobby and im a diesel fitter so done a bit hear and there so once I get all the bits probly from Quinton inc clutch all I need to do is service it all and the exchange rate is strong so should work out to be close to that give or take

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Well I gave them permission to pull it apart Monday last week and they have finally got back to me about it and said that the planetary gear set has crapped itself same thing as last time it broke and that it is not covered by warranty :( im going in to have a look and a few snap shots but looks like ill be converting it after all

G

Unregistered
So they were just guessing before saying it was the diff, surprise. Well, if it's the same thing now as before, it should be covered under warranty.

While the planetary gear sets have been known to break, I would "reasonably expect" a rebuild to cover this in the warranty. "Reasonably expect" are the keywords here that will help you to make any claim against them.

Besides, how do you know they didn't fit the pins that hold it together wrong and it was their fault? They would have disassembled, cleaned & inspected and reassembled it as part of their repair process so are not absolved of any responsibility.

In my opinion, it's a pretty average rebuild if the same thing breaks a few months down the track.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
They are trying to shaft you, I assume you have something like small claims court in Australia? Threatening might be enough, if not, I am pretty sure you would win.

Most rebuilding places tout rebuilds as better than second hand because things have been inspected and replaced where necessary. This is usually correct, so for this to happen, something was put together wrong. You should be able to find plenty to support that argument and as such, I don't see how you could come out second in that argument.

Seems to me they are trying to get out of paying up when they know they should. They probably want to see if you have the balls to do something about it (or they are broke and can't afford to).

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah I think they are trying to shaft me... Have thought so the whole time :(... I have a few pics ill put up tomorrow when I get on the computer.

Yep basicly they listened and said "it sounds like the diff" not really impressed to find it was the planetary set again :( all they did with it was weld the pins in, they didnt split the gear set apart.
When I had a look at it they couldnt even get the outer gears off it was to tight to even completely pull the set apart.
They have said from day one that hard parts are not covered by warranty, only the soft components. He also showed me a trans from a nimbus which uses the same box just diff gear ratios and they beak fairly often apparently. Looks like an exact copy.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Warranty terms (dont mind my details most of that has changed since the rebuild :p)
1.jpg

Costs of repairs
2.jpg

1 of the damaged gears
3.jpg

The gear assembly that has seized where the planetary set is inside
4.jpg

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
How is that not covered by warranty.
The words "Road test and adjust" gives it away, any faults they should of found them.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
yeah and they did weld the pins up on the planetary set but said it wasnt dissasembled and if it was a manfunction due to assembly it would have happened alot sooner and not 6 months down the track. So it was a hard part malfunction not covered by warranty...

the worse part is if i can manage to get warranty then how long till it fails again? i would sell it after but clearly no one on here would want to buy it fearing the same thing plus its prey hard to find a manual and i might have to get a replacement car to drive in the meantime but then it will take longer to get another manal Galant which may end up costing a little more then i can sell my auto for... Then there is powercruise coming up which if they rebuild it again i doubt it would last powercruise even if i service it pre, mid and post powercruise. next problem is finding hard parts, i had to replace the gearbox last time and was looking for 2 weeks with no prevail till i found a box, would have cost me alot more to get new hard parts.

If i get the manual conversion kit give 3 weeks for it to show up then another week to fit and a week to bed in then its powercruise and im alot more confident the manual will last alot longer then the auto plus i get to keep the car cause itll be how i want it to be... a manual.

either way i think ill be out of pocket more then i want to be and have basicly a 5 week time period till powercruise

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
They couldnt even pull the planetary set appart it is shattered that bad... and that is the same set that gave out last time...

hmm i didnt see a gear set that looks like that one, hmm they had the housing in the turbo wash, valve body on one table and the gear set on another one with clutch plates seals etc... how many planetary sets do these boxes have???

Edit: found the breakdown u had on next page to the link u sent http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread....mission-Thread&p=167850&viewfull=1#post167850

Bent gear in red circle (they belive it was caused by too much power when its clearly bent from a piece of metal lodging between the gears)

Funny thing is he keeps reffering to our transmission being weak and me running too much power for it to handle... from what ive read the wave springs are weak point and the pins in planetary set are weak too thats y the spring was uprated and pins welded in.

3.5.jpg

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Far out..
$140 to repair a bolt?
lack time i checked helicoils were no more than $50 P&L

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Funny thing is he keeps reffering to our transmission being weak and me running too much power for it to handle... from what ive read the wave springs are weak point and the pins in planetary set are weak too thats y the spring was uprated and pins welded in.

As far as I know, once the wave spring is replaced and the pins are welded the box is pretty damn strong.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
The bolt repair is cause they had to get "the bolt man" to come and do it I was pretty pissed bout that one.

Yeah its not written on there hmmm I np from day dot they told me before they even pulled my gearbox apart they ran thro the warranty specs verbally to me and specified hard parts are not covered hmm I might just ask them about that but still donno if I can trust their work to re do it... Hmm im in a bit of a pickle about wat to do exactly

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
After spending $3500 i'd want them to repair at the very least and not have to fork out another $3500 to fit the manual conversion as you could almost buy a whole new galant for that money

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Id take it to small claims.. Whatever caused the gear to stuff up is because of a lodged metal betwen the 2 gear.. I wouldnt be surprised if it was part of the wave spring that broke previously..

The only way in making sure that no broken pieces are left, is to strip it..

Same concept in overhauling an engine.. Only difference is its more complicated..

Top Bottom