Single power window switch not working

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Well I am stumped. All the other switches are working, windows go up and down.
But the rear left passenger window is not working, with the drivers switch or the passenger door switch.

There are 3 wires going to the switch. Red/Black, Green/Black and Black.
The Black seems to be the common. When the switch is pressed up or down this cable is shorted to either the Red/Black or Green/Black.
I measured the volts and they all are high, none is ground which I thought was a bit odd, but I don't know what the circuit is so am not sure how it is set up.
I can't hear any clicks from a relay, groans from a stuck motor or anything. Just nothing.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Pete

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Measure the voltage at the motor instead of the switch. If its got voltage that will tell you that every thing before there is working.
Then check the motors earth, if thats fine then your motor is fried.

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
I know this is an old post but I do first is to find the 2 motor wires and use a 12v drill battery and see if the motor works. If the motor works , I then check that the switch has a power .

if all is good with voltage and earth, I would then open the switch and clean the contacts inside the switch. The contact points sometimes get hotspots and need to be cleaned.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Hi Scott,

Thanks heaps, will give your suggestions a go.
We did try another switch and motor assembly (outside the door, just plugged into the cable) and it didnt seem to make any difference...

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
I have learnt the windows are activated by a data signal from the switch. The motor has power and earth wires but have a third wire to tell the motor to go up or down. Putting power and earth on the wires will do nothing until the motor gets it commands from the switch.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
weird, that sounds like an overcomplicated way of doing it, sort of thing you'd expect in a euro car

Ozyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
2000 Legnum
Yes it is. It's annoying. I'm trying to work a way to wind all the windows up when I arm my alarm.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Fixed! Turned out to be a damaged earth wire so all good! Fixed and working :)

Top Bottom