Single turbo conversion...

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Yeah mate the wife has had enough lol lets say I'm in no hurry to sell as long as I'm showing her I'm trying lol
Like a boss haha

stirlz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stirling
Drive
1998 vr4 galant
The supplier encouraged me to go gtw instead of gt series
Its the gtw3684 aka gtw6262
Went with a a/r .78 turbine housing twin scroll t3
Just food for thought Iv got the GTX3071R and I'm not on full boost till 3900rpm and then she sits on the limiter so 7000rpm if you go bigger turbo full boost might not come on till nearly 5000rpm only left with 2000rpm to play with. So unless your going to put big cams polish the heads and forge the bottom end You might want to think about putting a smaller turbo in. Sorry to put a damper on it.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
What's full boost? When does it start to
Come on?

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
I agree, my older technology GT3071r, is at 5psi around 3000RPM and 16psi before 4000RPM until 6500RPM when it backs off. On 98, Your turbo might behave with large top figures good for a dyno machine but not very quick for a usable street car. Not fact or anything but with my limited knowledge I think thats how it might behave and I agree might be on the big side

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Also food for thought, The photos have a what looks like a T3 flange and you say you bought a twin scroll, might need to change turbo flange to get the best results. But on my last comment, its totally what you want out of your car. I want a reliable 300-350KW at all fours that I can track race as much as possible. I hardly drive my car :D

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yeah any dyno graphs stirlz? That GTW is definalty going to be laggy Raj its a biiiig turbo. Will make a dickload of top end but theres not much point sizing a turbo that large on a stock bottom end motor which is getting into the dangerzone much above 300-350kwatw. 5psi by 3krpm ia pretty dam good. Good sizing for a stock motor. Ive seen a holset super HX40 the exact same as mine on a RB26 which the owner said was on a full 25psi by 4200rpm. Which is getting a bit on the laggy side but hopefully I can dial some lag out by shifting my cams around with my adjustable cam gears to help it come on strong in the low to mid range, doing that will kill some top end but a turbo that big will make more than enough power to break stock rods anyway so it wont be an issue.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
If I were you I would flag that garret hoo ha and get a Borg Warner S366 T4 Twin scroll. My friends dead stock RB26 made well north of 400kw @21psi at the wheels in a silvia with nothing but injectors, single turbo manifold and the borg turbo only on 98RON pump gas. Boost response was fantastic, it was on full noise between 3750 and 4k depending on how you loaded it up. Could have got better boost response again with some porting, a better exhaust manifold that wasnt made in China, and fiddling with the cam timing. E85 would have helped too. Ditching your log manifolds and doing some equal length runner manifolds with a well orientated twin wastegate setup will do wonders for you aswell both in terms of response and top end.

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Everyone has a similar view, Borg Warner are soo pricey though :) New Manifolds are pricey too

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
GCG have the S366 Borg' listed for a hair over 1k AUD, where the GTX3076R is about 2250 AUD so just buying the Borg' instead of the Garrett means you have ~1250 to put toward better manifolds. You need to flip your throttlebody to the drivers side. That give you a heap shorter IC piping and again aid with response. Shorten the intake runners too because they are farrrr too long stock.

raj

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Khemrajh
Drive
Galant vr4
Will see what happens when I finish the setup, what I heard from a lot of tuners is the 78 turbine housing spools just like the 63 cause its twin scroll

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Will see what happens when I finish the setup, what I heard from a lot of tuners is the 78 turbine housing spools just like the 63 cause its twin scroll
I'm keen to see results too. I will post here also when my car is running with my holset so see how it comes on boost

stirlz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stirling
Drive
1998 vr4 galant
Mine is twin scroll and the same size rear housing on a way smaller turbo can't wait to see it on a Dyno if you get good response I'll change as well lol

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
regardless of if a .78 housing spools the same as a .63 housing on that GTW3684R, a GTW3684R will be a hell of a lot laggier that a GT30 frame turbo even if the GT30 frame has a larger .82 or 1.0 housing
and if Stirlz's 30 frame isnt on full noise until 4k Im guessing your GTW3684 wont be on song until late 4krpm. especially that garrett say that size turbo is for 2.0-5.3L engines, your running it at the lower end of the displacement its reccomended for
I'd be investing in rods, pistons, ARP bits and some good balancing so you have a higher redline so you can make the most of that turbo or else it will be a short powerband!

raj

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Khemrajh
Drive
Galant vr4
GCG have the S366 Borg' listed for a hair over 1k AUD, where the GTX3076R is about 2250 AUD so just buying the Borg' instead of the Garrett means you have ~1250 to put toward better manifolds. You need to flip your throttlebody to the drivers side. That give you a heap shorter IC piping and again aid with response. Shorten the intake runners too because they are farrrr too long stock.

was thinking that...i will be shortening the intake manifold so i dont have to take it off to change plugs

stirlz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stirling
Drive
1998 vr4 galant
Yeah any dyno graphs stirlz? That GTW is definalty going to be laggy Raj its a biiiig turbo. Will make a dickload of top end but theres not much point sizing a turbo that large on a stock bottom end motor which is getting into the dangerzone much above 300-350kwatw. 5psi by 3krpm ia pretty dam good. Good sizing for a stock motor. Ive seen a holset super HX40 the exact same as mine on a RB26 which the owner said was on a full 25psi by 4200rpm. Which is getting a bit on the laggy side but hopefully I can dial some lag out by shifting my cams around with my adjustable cam gears to help it come on strong in the low to mid range, doing that will kill some top end but a turbo that big will make more than enough power to break stock rods anyway so it wont be an issue.
This is the only Dyno sheet @raj here is my throttle on the other side less IC pipe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 106

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Want to sell me one and install it :D In the future of course @TME_Steve :( I'm not sure but looking at Stirls dyno graph and comparing it to mine, his KM/H along the bottom is shorter than mine, mine pulles untill 190KM. Is that a different gearing???

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Want to sell me one and install it :D In the future of course @TME_Steve :( I'm not sure but looking at Stirls dyno graph and comparing it to mine, his KM/H along the bottom is shorter than mine, mine pulles untill 190KM. Is that a different gearing???
3rd gear pull instead of 4th hence the lower speed
its a pain in the ass when they don't reference crank speed to get boost vs RPM

Top Bottom