PFL Legnum
Just break out the liquid paper and cover up the second 'T'

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
OK out of curiosity if someone were to make up custom manifolds for a pair of Garrets who would actually by them and how much would they pay? As this seems to be the reason for people going to single.

My question is, is there a market?

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
OK out of curiosity if someone were to make up custom manifolds for a pair of Garrets who would actually by them and how much would they pay? As this seems to be the reason for people going to single.

I think most of us would like the cheapest manifold solution possible as pair of GT2554R's from GCG cost $2514.60, plus the custom front pipes you would need to connect the new turbos to you current dump pipes.

Is cutting the turbo flange off the existing manifolds and welding on an adapter plate viable? It looks like what Madhav's mechanic did. I did not know that you could weld cast iron.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well you can but not something I would recommend as it is normally to brittle, doing it right would involve new manifolds, may as well have new dumps I guess too.... Not having a go at Madhav, as if you get it to work, great but I'd be making up a manifold if doing more than one set.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
If they were at a decent price id buy a set just so i had them for the turbo upgrade down the track ;P

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
The manifold wasn't cut, just a very thin adaptor plate welded on, allowing fitment of the 4 bolt style Garret turbos. Costed almost nothing and worked perfectly.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4

A single set up would be more costly I reckon, there is more ball breaking piping involved.

Price for twin setup GT2554 $1230 each $1090 if you can get trade price. Custom manifolds depends who you know and what they know I wouldn't pay more than $1000.

G

Unregistered
Manifolds for each side wouldn't be too hard to knock up at all. New header flange, few bits of steampipe and some plate and you're done. About $150 in material.

Yeah you can weld cast iron, bit of a bitch and you'd wanna be a good welder to do it with confidence. Stick is actually the way to go with it rather than MIG or TIG.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
It's not just a matter of welding a flange and some pipe together, you have to make it all fit. Thats the hard part.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Indeed, getting bigger turbos onto the stock manifolds is fairly hard due to the rest of the engine, oil filter, radiator and firewall getting in the way!

It is possible to use two stock manifolds and have the outlets from them going to additional piping to go to a single turbo.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
That is possible Brad but on one side of the engine bay you will have a pipes everywhere.

If you know a good fabricator that knows what they are doing they can make twins fit easy look at my setup, the only thing I had to change was the thermo. I got a single 14'' fan.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
If i were doing this Single turbo is the way to go...
one set of intake pipes, one set of intercooler pipes, one set of water lines...one set of oil lines, much less in the engine bay to pop off, blow up, and leak!
Heaps of people on 3si.org and 3sgto.org have done very successful single turbo conversions. A new set of manifold would be around the $1000 mark.

sanchez

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
rodrigo
Drive
legnum
well I've been going down the twin 2554r's at the moment and have had the engineers at my work, working on it. Everything will be finally templated etc so in theory you'll be able to get any fabricator to make it up. I currently have the RPW downpipes on my car and will have templates made for new dumps as well with this setup. .It's gonna take a bit of time because I'm not really in much of a rush. Even if you went to a fabricator, you shouldn't pay more than about a thousand each for the manifolds but bear in mind it's a fairly time consuming practice and you really want to think of all the little things that need to be done as well at the time. You know the motors coming out so you may as well give it a bit of a work over at the same time..... I personally wouldn't touch a single with these cars because the V engine lends itself to twins, I guess that's only my opinion though...

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
If i were doing this Single turbo is the way to go...
one set of intake pipes, one set of intercooler pipes, one set of water lines...one set of oil lines, much less in the engine bay to pop off, blow up, and leak!
Heaps of people on 3si.org and 3sgto.org have done very successful single turbo conversions. A new set of manifold would be around the $1000 mark.
I agree with Paul on this. :) Also with a single you can also shorten the intake path, by switching the throttle body over to the drivers side and will be nice and simple. :)

I reckon that the most expensive part will be the 2 into 1 manifold from the factory manifolds to the turbo. :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
If you were going to all the trouble of going to a single, why not just get some new manifolds made up to suit?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
If you were going to all the trouble of going to a single, why not just get some new manifolds made up to suit?
The issue here is the cost worth any gains from changing the manifolds? There have been some successful cars built still using the std manifolds(Mikes' TD05 and Zentac in the UK with the FTO).

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
well I've been going down the twin 2554r's at the moment and have had the engineers at my work, working on it. Everything will be finally templated etc so in theory you'll be able to get any fabricator to make it up. I currently have the RPW downpipes on my car and will have templates made for new dumps as well with this setup. .It's gonna take a bit of time because I'm not really in much of a rush. Even if you went to a fabricator, you shouldn't pay more than about a thousand each for the manifolds but bear in mind it's a fairly time consuming practice and you really want to think of all the little things that need to be done as well at the time. You know the motors coming out so you may as well give it a bit of a work over at the same time..... I personally wouldn't touch a single with these cars because the V engine lends itself to twins, I guess that's only my opinion though...

Dude paying $1000 per a manifold is crazy, have you seen how small they are. Getting the flange laser cut will cost under $200, a T25 flange is under $40 and you probably need about 40cm of steam pipe. There is no real advantage going custom cos the manifolds are so small, stock manifolds with adapters are fine. I went custom to get a nice fit and there is no need to take the engine out to do all this work.

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
I agree with Paul on this. :) Also with a single you can also shorten the intake path, by switching the throttle body over to the drivers side and will be nice and simple. :)

I reckon that the most expensive part will be the 2 into 1 manifold from the factory manifolds to the turbo. :)

How would you switch the throttle body to the drivers side? Would the intake manifold from a GTO/3000GT bolt on?

Top Bottom