Single turbo conversion...

raj

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Khemrajh
Drive
Galant vr4
Hi guys,are there anyone in this forum currently running single turbo and using stock manifolds?
I am thinking about going single turbo and just use 2 rear manifolds and get them ported for more flow,would just like to know the outcome,thanks in advance.....

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I'm sure it's been done. Can't remember members name.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Has been done but its a waste of time as the stock manifolds suck and dont flow. Even if you port them extensivly. With the time and money you would spend porting stock manifolds you could make some tubular ones which are better.

stirlz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stirling
Drive
1998 vr4 galant
Yep Iv got a single turbo set up so what questions do you want answered ? But if your going to port the standard manifolds don't waste your time or money. Iv got custom it's not tune lengh meaning it's not tube all the way to the collector. Mine is 3 into 1 ( 3x1 3/8 into 2inch)x2 and 2 into 1. Iv tried to do everything on the out side before opening up the engine from my set up Iv got 400hp at all 4.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Yep Iv got a single turbo set up so what questions do you want answered ? But if your going to port the standard manifolds don't waste your time or money. Iv got custom it's not tune lengh meaning it's not tube all the way to the collector. Mine is 3 into 1 ( 3x1 3/8 into 2inch)x2 and 2 into 1. Iv tried to do everything on the out side before opening up the engine from my set up Iv got 400hp at all 4.
just out of intrest what turbo do you have and what is the boost response like?

stirlz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stirling
Drive
1998 vr4 galant
Iv got a GTX3071R boost response is ok. If you cruising in fifth and don't like changing down could be sluggish but once you change from fifth to third it's all on song screamer pipe and all lol. If I had the cash I would go down the same path as you mivec turbo. The only thing I have left to do is engine out rebuild big cams polished heads and prob a bigger rear housing for the same turbo

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
I sent you a PM Stirlz, I have a GT3071R, feel free to send me Questions.

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Nar I dont think its worth it or do-able, you need to go custom in my opion

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Raj, looks very similar to mine except Im running a smaller turbo and I have log manifolds so mine arnt equal and honestly as a street car it worksgreat

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Just got to think of space at the rear for the dump and exhaust to fit with the manifold and firewall

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Wonder if the new GTW series is any good?? Worth upgrading to GTX or GTW?

raj

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Khemrajh
Drive
Galant vr4
The supplier encouraged me to go gtw instead of gt series
Its the gtw3684 aka gtw6262
Went with a a/r .78 turbine housing twin scroll t3

Smurph

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Symond
Drive
1997 VR4 Galant PFL
Nice, keen to see a dyno sheet

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
Iv got a GTX3071R boost response is ok. If you cruising in fifth and don't like changing down could be sluggish but once you change from fifth to third it's all on song screamer pipe and all lol. If I had the cash I would go down the same path as you mivec turbo. The only thing I have left to do is engine out rebuild big cams polished heads and prob a bigger rear housing for the same turbo
Isn't your car for sale?

Top Bottom