Staggered offsets?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I know I can't run staggered sizes on the VR4, but how about staggered offsets? For instance, something like an 18x9 +36 front and an 18x9 +30 rear. Would this cause any problems with the transfer case, AYC etc? I can't see how it would, but sometimes I'm not as smart as I seem... :ROFLMAO:

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I was wondering also, if you had say 18x8's and 18x9's, but ran 235/40/18's all round, would this work? Keeping the same rolling diameter and grip on each corner, but similarly, differing offset.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
225/45/17 and 255/40/17 are close enough to work without any problems to the AYC, transfer case or ABS system.

Keeping the same width wheels and tyres all round but changing offsets will be ok, not real problems there at all.

Hotwire - that isn't a good idea really, the ones over the 9" wide wheels will be stretched which will lower their rolling radius slightly

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Nice, thanks Brad. It seems from looking at photos that the rears seem to sit slightly further in - my plan is to get something that sits flush at the front and then run a slightly lower offset for the rear (maybe by using a slip on spacer) to bring them up to flush too.

I kinda obsess over offsets - if I don't get the wheels sitting flush the car won't look like I want it too and I'll hate it!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah the rears do fit a bit further in, without wheel arches you'll find 8" 38mm wheels with 235 tyres will sit out the guards by a few mm at the front but sit inside the rear by a few mm.

I'd suggest without flares you'd want 18x8 40mm front and 18x8 35mm rear

G

Unregistered
so is that the same for a 97 legnum with no flares? would the rubber rub on the gaurds?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah without arches, but you will need to roll the rear guards quite a bit

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Brad:
17x8 +35 on my car (pre-facelift). If I have 215/45/17's on them (slight stretch) how would it fit do you think? Will I have scrubbing problems and/or mexican fitment?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
That will fit fine, but the outside of the wheels will stick out from the body of the car.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I have a set of 17x9 +35 rims on my Silvia. When I get my VR4 home (some time next week probably) I will throw them on and take some measurements and pics to see exactly what we can and can't fit... Should be an interesting experiment.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I've got 17x9.5" 35mm wheels on at the moment and have seen a lot of cars with 17x8" 38mm wheels, they will stick out by quite a bit.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
You lot are cry babies. LOL.

At a nice ride height, with some soft guard flaring, a 9 +30 will fit all round.

It just depends how you like your fitment. My 9 +38 front's sit well, but I want to either pull the camber out of the back, or run a 5-8mm slip on...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
yeah 35-38mm at the front is ok with wheel arches, but you want to be a bit further out at the rear to make it look even.

leg-it

Crunching Gears
First Name
Alex C
Drive
1997 Legnum VR-4
so I am not going to be able to fit this Wheels ? sorry if im not understanding this fitment thing.
17X8+32 and the 17X9+38-PCD114,3/5

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
You cant run different width rims!

Needs to be the same width at all corners but offset can be different.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
also even if you have the same rim width but use different tire width.. it'll cause issues with your AYC.. as i've experienced it..

Top Bottom