TD04s on the 6A13TT

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I have a remote oil filter + cooler kit of another car, just doesn't seem to be room in there to fit the oil filter properly. Will have to look into a trans cooler.
Cheers

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
An exhaust that is *too* free-flowing can result in the engine feeling 'gutless' at the bottom of the rev range. This is not always placebo, the gases leaving too early result in lower exhaust gas temps, therefore lower torque produced at those engine revs. This is only the case at low revs, because the very same exhaust design also results in higher flow at high revs, and lower EGTs there too. The only difference is that the lower EGTs are now welcome, because they are pushed below the maximum (safe point), while at low revs they were below the minimum (efficiency point).

Such an engine will produce improved max bhp figures, but looking closely it will be apparent that it's at the expense of low-down power. Once it's recognised however, it can be fixed - exhaust wrapping could help bring EGTs back up again, while the free-flowing exhaust can retain the max flow potential. Best of both worlds."

Their explanation how how the wrapping works is pretty poor/wrong. They're getting few different things mixed up here. Often, a larger exhaust will give less low down power (particularly on NA cars), BUT only with stock tuning. If a car is tuned correctly for its modifications, then you can make more power through the rev range with less back pressure.

The reason for using the wrapping is retain as much heat as possible in the exhaust gas. The more heat/energy in the exhaust gas, then more energy it can transfer to the exhaust turbine wheel. That's why you get better spool up.

I would be ripping that exhaust wrap off and throwing it as far away as you can ! The stuff is absolute crap and will dramatically reduce the life span of your exhaust system.

The best stuff to use is HPC Coating or similar. The main problem with the exhaust wrap is that it doesn't let the heat get away from the exhaust system and will crack exhausts and manifolds very quickly. It also looks crap :)

As down sides to using the wraps, the most common one I've heard of was moisture retention causing the exhaust to rust through quickly. If HPC coated internally you do have the advantage of keeping maximum energy IN the exhaust, with out the pipes themselves getting quite as hot. In my opinion, it's much of a muchness though. :)

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Update.
I have two TD04L turbos now.

Only potential problem is that they are different model numbers. I dont know if there is going to be any difference between the two or not, so if anyone knows for sure, please post up. I noticed there is a difference with the Wastegate actuator, and my way around this it to buy two identical ones off ebay. There is a seller in the US selling the STi WA for the TD04L @ $120AUD each! But it will take away any uncertainty of potential tuning problems down the track, so worthwile IMO.

Other than that, I think they will be ok. I will look for another TD04L that is identical to the Forester one, just becuase I know the seller I got the forester one from, and it has only done 60,000kms on stock boost. So I will try and match that if I have to.

I will keep you all posted.

img5309smallra9.jpg

img5314smallgb7.jpg

The one on the left is the Forester one.

img5304smallzy9.jpg

G

Unregistered
maybe measuer the WA arm's and see if the length is identical.. cause all i can see that would be diffrent is that the wrx one will spool quicker cause its ratted for a ej20t (2LT) as the forester one is ratted for the ej25t(2.5LT), not sure if it will make a diff. i think if you change acuator you should be rite..

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Yeah that is what I am hoping for.

I might take it all down to AVO this weekend and ask their opinion/direction on the matter. They play with TD04's all the time.

G

Unregistered
That Forester TD04 looks nice any shiny eh Nick. and its only done less than 50,000kms mind you =p

Nick

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
Aristo
Taking the car and the turbo to AVO this Friday for them to help me go about getting the required parts to make it all work.
I will update everyone then, I will share the knowledge!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Nice one Josh, some good stuff in there

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
nengun are a great source of info I have found over the years, but I have never heard of anyone getting anything from them. Bit I have heard they can be hard to buy from and a few people have given up trying.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
nengun are a great source of info I have found over the years, but I have never heard of anyone getting anything from them. Bit I have heard they can be hard to buy from and a few people have given up trying.

I know of around 1000+ plus people from the SAU forum using Nengun. They can be a little slow sometimes to to answer your questions but you can't beat their price

G

Unregistered
Yeah I've used Nengun quite a few times in the past. I onced waited around 2 months for an item they didn't have in stock at the time. Though for the price they are well worth it.

www.Greenline.jp is also another good one.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Yeh - I have used greenline in the past. They were slightly cheaper than nengun. Everything went well. delivered within 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

G

Unregistered
BC off. 0.62-0.63 bar (up to 0.67 bar in first gear), two people inside the car (100 kgs each)... old spark plugs, exhaust with a restriction (1.5 inch) to get under a noise limit... Winter tires and launch control set at 6200... no traction in first gear... (315-323 ps according to RSM... whatever that means... 5 sec. 0-100kph.):

P1030640.jpg

Same conditions... 0.9 bar (up to 0.95 in first gear)... first try...
(364-386 ps according to RSM... again, whatever that means... 4.3 sec. 0-100kph.):

P1030634.jpg

P1030614.jpg

P1030636-1.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
ps is very close to hp. stock power is 280ps at the flywheel.. nice times. i should get myself one of those, would look funny next to my SAFC though :p

Top Bottom