TD04s on the 6A13TT

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Which is why today's leading CART, NASCAR, IMSA, and F-1 teams use HPC's HiPerCoat™ Extreme process.
Wonder if they can provide any references / backup to that statement? Sounds worthy of investigation, at any rate...

I'm still impressed you can get TD05's onto the stock manifolds :) I was looking at a TD05 from an EVO 6.5 on a car in the weekend, he is just going to run a single TD05 on his car and it is a huge turbo!
Yea I want to see photos of the clearances on the finished product, given how much I've been hearing about the space limitation in the engine bay... Mind you I'm sure the extensive modifications to component placement such as the throttle body would have gone a long way towards helping with that.

"However, once we tested our first horizontal flow numbers, we were blown away at how much better the horizontal flow worked on this car."
Hmm interesting. Looks like more reading is required! ;)

G

Unregistered
i wouldnt bother with a vertical flow intercooler for a few reasons...

1) cost more
2) need to make completely new piping, and likely need to cut the chassis to fit the pipes above and below
3) they are usually square, as the tanks are on the top and bottom, so they dont have as much direct airflow form the rectangular front bar opening, and they look shit! :p
4) horizontal flow intercoolers dont loose very much pressure at all, you can get a "tube and fin" design that will loose almost nothing, but wont cool as well as the "bar and plate" design, which will loose a couple of psi at most (usually tested at ~30psi+ too... so i'm sure 28psi is more than enough. ;))

what ECU are you using valmes, e-manage ultimate?

because i noticed you are still using an AFM (off a 3000GT?), but the e-manage can be run without an AFM, and it would probably be better off running a single pod to each turbo, rather than a Y pipe.

G

Unregistered
I would be ripping that exhaust wrap off and throwing it as far away as you can ! The stuff is absolute crap and will dramatically reduce the life span of your exhaust system.

The best stuff to use is HPC Coating or similar. The main problem with the exhaust wrap is that it doesn't let the heat get away from the exhaust system and will crack exhausts and manifolds very quickly. It also looks crap :)

As I've said... we didn't wrap it for no reason or for looks... and we did that with STi on TD06, with couple EVOs, with two 2JZGTE/T88 powered cars... no cracked manifolds or turbo-housings yet (some of those cars are pushed hard for over a year... I mean some of them are in the 10s) and it did improve spool up and tq at lower revs on all cars!

So I will stick with it :)

G

Unregistered
what ECU are you using valmes, e-manage ultimate?

because i noticed you are still using an AFM (off a 3000GT?), but the e-manage can be run without an AFM, and it would probably be better off running a single pod to each turbo, rather than a Y pipe.

Yes, I am using e-manage Ultimate:

P1030580.jpg

I am using MAS from 3000GT VR-4, cause it proved to work fine in a 11.3 car and keeps it running like stock, so I will leave it in place until I can see that it actually does harm performance... removing MAF and putting two Air filters on top of those 2,5 inch tubes (from MAF to turbo) is a 20 min job, so it's still an option in the future to get rid of MAF, but I don't really see the need for it at the moment.

... and what Y pipe are you talking about?

Airfilters ---> rubber joiner (3000GT) ---> pipes to turbos (intake) ---> pipes out of turbos (high pressure) ---> joining together into intake IC pipe (that's the only Y pipe in here... and it will stay no matter if I run MAF or MAP, cause it high pressure) ---> Intercooler ---> IC to TB pipe ---> Intake Manifold.

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
As I've said... we didn't wrap it for no reason or for looks... and we did that with STi on TD06, with couple EVOs, with two 2JZGTE/T88 powered cars... no cracked manifolds or turbo-housings yet (some of those cars are pushed hard for over a year... I mean some of them are in the 10s) and it did improve spool up and tq at lower revs on all cars!

So I will stick with it :)

My brothers car had a small transmission leak which sprayed tranny oil onto the exhaust wrap, soaking the exhaust wrap in fluid and then setting the car on fire .... this is the result ...

Attachments

• f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 57
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 49
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 52

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sorry to get off topic everyone, but I have strong feelings against exhaust wrap (as you could probably tell :))

G

Unregistered
That's why it has "aluminium like" shield wrapping over normal thermo-wrap...

I know shit happens, believe me I am the last person to risk playing with fire... since I actually caught fire while driving a TwinTurbo Corvette :) and it didn't have any wrap to blame it on ;)

Here is how it looked right after the incident:
P1020858.jpg

P1020857.jpg

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Yeah, fire is a big nasty in cars. I still dislike the thermo wraps, but if you have had good experiences with it then so be it. I will not be using it on any of my cars in the future.

On a little side note, a mate of mine runs a company called 'Competition Coatings' in Sydney who do the heat resistant treatment as shown above.

This is his 4AG powered front wheel drive Corolla .... yes, the 2nd video is a 9 second run :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I get what you mean Joel - you're wondering why not just have a dedicated pod and piping to each turbo? I think its probably coming down to space restriction - there's not a great deal of spare room under that bonnet!

Care to clarify Valmes?

G

Unregistered
Don't brake what's not broken... If MAF works fine, why ditch it? I've got nowhere near the stock setup restriction... Pre turbo piping is huge, GTO MAF will allow for plenty of air flow with almost stock like drivability... so I see no reason why I should use MAP right now!? Care to clarify your reasoning behind your statement?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the stock setup behind the maf going down into the turbo intakes is terrible. Assuming you can replace all of that, then the MAF is an ok option

G

Unregistered
From GTO MAF through GTO splitter (or Y joiner... whatever it's called) into 2 x 2,5 inch aluminium tubes all the way down to turbos.

I don't think restriction will be a problem in the near future.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
The question at hand though, is why run a split BEFORE the air flow meter and run TWO pod filters instead of one?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Easy - you have more restriction through the air filter than you do from the pipe diameter, so by adding a second pod filter you reduce / eliminate the filter as a possible source of restriction :)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Hey guys, what sort of Psi will the stock cooler run??
As a starting point I am just thinking, Exhaust, cold air set up and EBC and running 12Psi?
Will this work ok?
Cheers guys

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
yeah the stock intercooler is quite large, it will be fine for a car running on stock boost. Unless you get 40C plus days all summer long, then you really want a big intercooler, possibly an oil cooler and trans cooler too!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
yeah the stock intercooler is quite large, it will be fine for a car running on stock boost. Unless you get 40C plus days all summer long, then you really want a big intercooler, possibly an oil cooler and trans cooler too!

You mean like the last week here in SA, lol
Monday night was the hottest night for over 100 years :(

Top Bottom