Touch Screen Options and FitPC build.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Start up depends on whether you use SSD or a normal platter drive. SSD is very fast! Again also depends on operating system. I will be trying a cut down version of Win7 which would be marginally slower than XP. I haven't done a huge amount of testing here but have used SSD before so know roughly what to expect (<20sec)

Power for the fitpc is unregulated 8-16V from memory so may just need a simple filter to remove cracking spikes.

Screen comes with its own car 12V power filter :)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Speakers will need a separate amp. Probably get a little 4x50 or 4x75 and use the line out from the fitpc. Small amp should fit under the front seat. Mounting is still to be looked at, may be able to fit it all in the boot in the storage pockets.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Nice, I'll be looking to run an SSD too. So how do you connect your car speakers to it?

EDIT: Whoops, haha, thanks for the info. I really look forward to seeing how you go with this as I'm pretty keen to do it too I just don't have the money for it at the moment, too busy with other car parts :p

G

Unregistered
interesting dude.... keepit up..
the poms asked me a few years back to make a ceentre console cover that housed an ipad,i started etc but i can remember why i didnt carry on with it. like everyhting else lol

keep it up, im here if theres any glassing customising needed ok,or shitty woody dashes...glad to see allistor supplied you parts...
if its any constellation or whatever i have a MMCS console in CF if your thinking or removing adn rerouting the ac unit lol...

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Just a thought, have any of you bothered to do a search and see what myself and matchtheclown did? You can fit a 10" screen into the dash with a little remodelling all of which can be reverted back to standard if need be. If anyone is interested I have a full carpc set up sitting in a box with 10" screen to suit legnum. Won't fit into my new car, took it out when my Legnum was written off.

Match the clown's carpc thread http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?3871-The-plan-Car-PC-(on-a-budget)&highlight=carpc

My carpc thread http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?4218-The-other-carpc-plan-still-on-a-budget&highlight=carpc

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
IMO 10" is too big, and I want it to look factory so 8" is the biggest that will fit. And I don't want to have to make a custom dash, way too much work! But looks like an awesome system all the same.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I have done a search, and what came up had little relevance to the setup I wanted. I wanted something nice and small like the FitPC or the Carputer.me and I wanted to keep everything OEM looking hence the double din screen or as an absolute max the 8" that Peter is looking to fit. I don't need a huge screen in my dash, thats why I'm looking at this particular setup. I was curious on how this setup worked as I had a reasonable idea how other setups worked.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Keen to see this before I compile parts. Highly reccomnd an ssd for the boot drive. Will literally cut bootup time from 90s to sub 15. More ideal for car application over a mechanical drive as they have no moving parts.

If you don't mind some DIY, they make double din cases that sit behind the screen. Might be a snug fit with all the climate control wiring behind though.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
yeah I saw those cases, but the work only with the 7" displays. Awesome idea as it would keep everything compact.
Another problem though is there is a heap of cabling that will need to be managed and I wouldn't like to try to fit it all behind there, but that remains to be seen one I have ask the parts.
Another thought is the fitpc3 is fairly large (significantly bigger than the fitpc2) so space again may be an issue.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Yeah, I agree there isn't enough room back there to be practical, but its handy knowing there's some alternative options. Does the fitpc3 fit under the passenger seat comfortably? Measures 19x16x4 for the pro. Unoriginal but cabling would be a breeze. Remember you'll still need an amp iirc, or stash a single din headunit in the glovebox to run radio. Slight overkill but there are always options.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I don't listen to radio so thats no big deal for me :p, I was thinking of running a slot loading Blu-ray or DVD player in the sunglass pocket though and putting the PC and amp either under the front seats or a combination of under the seats and in the back passenger side pocket in the boot. I'd run a USB cable up the front too so I could put music on a thumb drive and easily plug it in.

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
If you have a home wireless network you could have your car sync/update your entire music collection every time you pull into the driveway :p

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Those are the kinda ideas that excite me :p you could completely automate almost anything. Upload/dump evoscan logs, GPS coordinates of trips straight to a home PC or laptop. You could even wardrive around the neighborhood with wifi detection on and map who near you has unprotected wireless hotspots :p I'm intrigued by the idea of my car autonomously sharing information with my house/PC. Theoretically, say , if your misses drives the vr4 on occasion, it could have the ability to detect and recognise who jumped into the drivers seat, using your mobile, and apply personalized driving profiles. Favourite GPS locations/places or preset music playlist and radio stations. :D that's off the top of my head.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Screen has been ordered!

Lilliput high brightness 869GL-80NP/C/T-HB 8 " $306
LCD panel is 192.8(W)X116.9(H)X6.4(D) mm
Active area (Display area) is 176.64(W)X99.36(H) mm.
Size with case (LWD): 211 x 136 x 31mm
Double-Din slot (Standard is 180mm X 100mm but measured is 181x105mm)
http://store.mp3car.com/High_Brightness_Lilliput_869GL_80NP_C_T_HB_8_Touc_p/mon-137.htm

I have a fitPC3 lined up and will most likely be getting it for 1/2 price so pretty stoked about that.

Need to get to MSY and get a SSD (most likely a 120G or something) and then once the screen arrives I can start doing some testing!

A spare dash piece has been bought from taupodrifta but waiting for a reply as to whether it has been posted.

I am getting a i-Blue GM-2 USB 5Hz GPS Receiver once I can find somewhere that has them in stock :(

It's coming together :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Awesome! Cant wait to see this one, Ive been keen on doing this for a while now.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Odd that its native resolution is 800x600, but it's a 16:9 frame?

That will equal some image stretching to fit the screen, as the 800x600 res is 4:3

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Yeah not sure what the go is with the res VS ratio. But everyone who has reviews it raved about it and the pics do show any stretching.

Any suggestions for a USB radio? Preferably one that can use my existing antenna?

Any way of renaming this thread to some thing about a CarPC build seeing as that's where it seems to be going now the screen has been sorted!?

Top Bottom