Touch Screen Options and FitPC build.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Just want it to read the error codes, display the data on the funky gauges etc. No need to program the ECU.

Would that cable enable the AYC clutch control for flushing etc? Would I need to modify it at all?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Firstly bump on the question above and an update on progress!

Touch cable arrived from Lilliput, an error had been made and it wasn't in the box like it should have been. They allowed me to pay the extra and get the long version so I can run it to the boot.

Did some research and will most likely be getting this USB soundcard to feed into the amplifier:
Creative SBXFI-S51-PRO Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card - available for $70 from MSY

Updated the 1st post with items received and costs.
Also edited the 2nd post to contain some links which may be useful for anyone doing anything similar.

I am at the stage now where I need to start trying to figure out how to mount the screen behind the dash... the rest will be relatively easy compared to this :(
Any ideas on some bog/glue I could use to hold it to the dash from behind?

G

Unregistered
Send me a picture with what you got and I can look into something with my mods dash(what I use when I'm making guage pods etc for them) email it to qcustoms@xtra.co.nz ok bud, then I can see where we can go with this, and if the PCM works great and the mount is good, I may buy a PCM kit fom you ok

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
Here is a different option. A mate i used to work with recently installed this to his car..

408718_10151195780500680_56656981_n.jpg

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
That's probably going to be my next option, if I could be arsed. :)

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
Yeh its a Nexus Tablet.

Essentially it has all inputs available to add an external audio controls etc.
Plus you have bluetooth, 3g, wifi, maps, apps etc right there.

I currently have a Clarion Bluetooth, Nav etc etc in my car, but i reckon this is waaay better option.
Just no CD's/ DVD's but meh.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Update! Progress has been slow as work has been crazy, but got a bit done over the last few days.

Pulled the screen apart and started to figure out how to attach it to the console.
DSC_2852.jpg

Firstly machining the back of the console so the screen sits as flat and as far forward as possible. Hopefully this will make it look like a factory install. You have to remove all the little plastic tabs poking out and the top metal brace. The viewable area of the screen fits perfectly in the double DIN cutout! :)
20121109_132530.jpg

Results!
20121112_105123.jpg

20121109_160939-1.jpg

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
The I needed to attach the screens electronics to it somehow. Made up 4 perspex blocks (drilled and tapped with M3 threads) to go in each corner. Araldited these to the back of the screen and then screwed the PCB to the blocks. Perfect! Reason for such a strong bond is the HDMI cable which will be hanging off the side of the PCB is pretty heavy so I needed to make the blocks pretty big to ensure a solid grip on the back of the screen.

DSC_2849.jpg

DSC_2850.jpg

DSC_2851.jpg

Then for the buttons from the screen... scratched my head for ages on this one. You need to keep a bit of the frame or the button caps will fall off and you wont have any labels. In the end chopped the fame as shown, used a block of perspex+araldite again and then screwed the assembly inside the sunglasses holder. Neat!! Well I think so :p

20121112_105740.jpg

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2854.jpg

DSC_2856.jpg

20121112_164952.jpg

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Now to attach the whole lot to the console... I am thinking of using Sikaflex-227 all around the edge of the screen, do you think this will be strong enough??

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum

It's going to stall for a bit longer as well as I just bought rims... and I need another $1k for speakers and amp!
Looking at:
Morel Tempo 6
Morel Tempo Coax 6
ARC Audio KS125.4Mini

So spending on the car has been restricted by the Minister of War and Finance for a while :p

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Or as I refer to the position 'the fat controller'...

They take it the wrong way tho, don't understand why...

I was looking for this thread after someone posted that new evo droid thingy for evo scan. I was remembering something about dash lights being permanently on...hmmm

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
What are peoples opinions regarding the audio out from the fit-pc3... I will be going to an amp, but should I look at a USB soundcard with coaxial output, or would the headphone out of the fit-pc be fine?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Also bought the Intelligent DC-DC Converter with USB Interface and box from mp3car.com

Supply:
http://store.mp3car.com/Intelligent_DC_DC_Converter_with_USB_Interface_p/pwr-034.htm
Box:
http://store.mp3car.com/DCDC_USB_POWER_BOX_For_Use_with_Mini_Box_DC_DC_co_p/enc-037.htm

Postage is STUPIDLY expensive (more than the cost of the parts) as they use Fedex which are nearly as big a rip-off as Telstra, so make sure you do one combined order from them if you do order anything.

Cool supply. Handles cranking spikes, wide input range, selectable voltage outputs (I will only need 12V) and has a pulse output to turn the PC on/off automatically with the ignition.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
It's been a while since I was on the car audio scene so I'm certainly no pro, but I'd be inclined to use something with output power closer to the high end of the accepted input range of the amp ie 4v.

Top Bottom