Touch Screen Options and FitPC build.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
The ARC amp I am looking at has a HI/LO switchable input. I am hoping that it will be OK on HI (Marty from FHRX seems to think so). Just a bit worried about the quality of the fit-pc sound card.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
From my experience on-board is generally ordinary at best even on boards that claim to have decent sound. I commonly get an odd hiss during CPU activity etc. which isn't loud but still present nonetheless. Last thing you want is that coupled with a low power output which you may have to drive up with amp gains further. I'd personally go with something that offers greater output, offering better signal to noise...just my opinion/2 cents however and I can't claim to be familiar with your carputer's hardware. Won't hurt to start with onboard then investigate external after if problems arise.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Just a lot more scope/possibilities with a PC. And a PC has Windows which means a lot more flexibility. There are some very successful tablet installs though.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I agree with Peter, I plan on using EvoScan with my PC install along with ECU flash and a few other things. Different courses for different horses though ;)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Oh and my screen fits the double din dimensions perfectly! Looks completely factory B-)

Left the sikaflex curing over the weekend, so will post pics on Monday!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Finally got some pics of the screen installed in the dash! Looks mint, very happy with how it turned out :)

20121130_122115.jpg

Hidden controls for the screen :)
20121130_122128.jpg

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Sweet!

Have you got any pics of how it looks in the sunlight?
How difficult is it to read / see?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I haven't yet, but can do. I have to fire it up and test the new power supply that arrived the other day, so will have a look then. Progress is pretty slow as work has been crazy :(

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Looks great... wish I'd done this instead of farting around with a 10" screen... oh well :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Looks awesome, I know what I'll be going with now. I was going to go for the double din but this looks so much better. Are you going to do a bit of a write up for the screen mod?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Looks awesome, I know what I'll be going with now. I was going to go for the double din but this looks so much better. Are you going to do a bit of a write up for the screen mod?

I'm not sure what I can write up... the description and photos are on the previous page. I had access to a very good machinist and his mill which most people won't.
If there is anything missing from those posts though which you think may be helpful let me know and I will add it!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Ordered the amplifier and speakers!

ARC Audio KS125.4 mini amplifier (has speaker level inputs so hopefully won't need an external sound card from the fitPC)
Morel Tempo 6.5" coaxials
Morel Tempo 6.5" splits

All from eBay for a grand total of ... $813.20

Hopefully will have the whole system installed by the end of Feb as Mandy is going away so will have a few days to pull the interior apart.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Quick question: Windows generally doesn't like it when you turn the power off without shutting down in an orderly fashion. Is there some kind of trigger mechanism that is used for when you turn off the ignition so that the OS shuts down properly before the unit powers off? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Nah not a silly question and one that had me stumped for a while.

The power supply I ended up buying, while it isn't cheap handles this. It detects when the ignition gets turned off and sends a pulse to the on/off switch on the fit-PC3. This way windows shuts down and starts up all properly.In fact I have the fit-PC3 apart right now trying to work out which pins to connect the pulse cables too. It's a weird switch though, not behaving like I anticipated so have posted on the fit-PC forums and am waiting for a response.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So the fitpc doesn't have a power source that handles this? I would have thought they would have supplied you with an appropriate power source.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
All up and working now... my stupid mistake :oops: Of course the pads on the bottom aren't working as its a SMD board so they aren't connected to the ones on the top! LOL

Anyway, wired the power supply up and its working brilliantly. Powers the fit-PC3 up on ignition ON and then powers it down 5 seconds after ignition OFF and after 60 seconds (more than enough time for the fit-PC3 to shutdown) it shuts down the power to the fit-PC3 completely to ensure the battery doesn't get drained by the standby current over long periods of no use. This is also the power to the screen as well, so the screen will be turned on and off at the same time as the fit-PC3.

I am not sure what you mean by a power source Macca??

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
How longs it take to boot up?

Top Bottom