Touch Screen Options and FitPC build.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Not sure about the radio but I'm sure there would be something out there, thread renamed mate.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Thanks!

The i-Blue GM-2 USB 5Hz GPS Receiver is discontinued apparantly, so ordered a BU-353S4 SiRF Star IV USB GPS Receiver instead. Reviews of it look quite promising.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Updated the 1st post with progress so far and will keep a list of parts there with pricing for anyone else who may be interested in pursuing something similar!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Good idea, that way people can see what you went with :)

I have access to the fit-PC3 at work and will most likely buy it from them at a discounted price if it works seeing as they have no use for it!

Don't suppose they have any more they don't need :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
800x480 will be a widescreen resolution you could maybe use? I have a older tablet here that runs that.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Picked up the SSD last night, they have dropped in price over the last week! Got a Samsung 830 128GB for $115, less than $1 per gig! :)

GPS has arrived, pluged it into my work PC and windows 7 picked it up no problems with its own drivers.

Screen should be here early next week and I can install windows and start doing some testing.

If anyone knows how to contact taupodrifta it would be appreciated, as I paid for the console but haven't heard from him since.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Sweet as, looks great, now you just have to install it in the car and show us all how awesome it is :)

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I still am hunting a few answers before it gets in the car...

Front End
Initially I was going to use Centrafuse but after browsing around mp3car.com RoadRunner gets rave reviews and I like open source stuff (my Andriod phone had the factory firmware on for a total of 2 days).
BUT I don't want to be fiddling with this all the time. Once setup I would like to just enjoy using it. How difficult is RR to get up and running given the list of functions I want? Centrafuse seemed to be a very easy install and use path.

Navigation
If I go the RR path, from what I can find, navigation isn't included. I saw iGuidance mentioned, but does this come with maps? If not where do I get them from and how often are they updated? Centrafuse maps don't appear to be updated very often... So any recommendations of navigation software?

USB FM Radio (maybe DAB FM??)
Can anyone recommend a product that will hook into my factory aerial? I only seem to be able to find fairly average or negative reviews of these devices...

Power filtering
The fitpc requires 10-16V DC unregulated, but I am worried about spikes and low voltage, especially when cranking at startup and general noise. Has anyone got any suggestions here? I sent an email to the mp3car store and they suggested the DCDC USB device which looks pretty cool and will do startup and shutdown ( http://store.mp3car.com/DCDC_USB_Int..._p/pwr-047.htm ). The fitpc can do auto startup on power on, but I may as well just use the supplies capability if I can figure out how to wire it to the motherboard of the fitpc. But any other options?

I was going to locate it all in the boot (the screen in the dash up the front obviously!) but what is HDMI and USB like over those distances?

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
I can say that HDMI is good for about 15 meters maximum before signal drop, dont know about USB

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
USB usually needs 5m before a self-powered inline repeater/extender/thing

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Progress!!!

Audio working
Video working
Wifi Management working
Weather working
GPS working (have to buy the full version yet)
Internet working (over wifi... via mobile phone
Custom VR-4 logo made and looking cool!

HomeScreen.jpg

Audio.jpg

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Yeah I think it looks awesome! Been a long and very steep learning curve to get everything working though.
The more I use the software now the the more I like it. Has a huge potential for home automation!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Also forgot to add, the best part about this UI is its free! Will be making a donation once I have it all up and running just to say thanks for the work.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Ok next question...

I want to get evoscan and am hopelessly confused with what cable I need... their website isn't much help either. Anyone know which one I need?

Cheers
Pete

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Ouch that's expensive...

Given that once Steve has tuned it in a few weeks again, I doubt I will need to write anything myself...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I think Steve has an option for him to post you a cable to use for your tune and then you send it back to him when you're done. Its looking good mate.

Top Bottom