Turbo upgrade difference?

G

Unregistered
Hi guys..
I'm newish to the world of turbos.. and looking at an ad for an `88 VR4, the turbo description is '20G' .. ? Doing abit of research, the stock turbo on these are a TD05.

I'm not too sure what the 20G is in comparison to the TD05.. could someone shed abit of light?

Cheers!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You won't find too much expertise here on the 4g63 VR4s. We all have the 8th Generation 6a13 models.

PS I want your Crown.

G

Unregistered
Oh ok.. dammit..

I'm actually selling my crown, if you REALLY want it. ;)

G

Unregistered
To try and help here, I googled 20G and this is what I found:

20G = TD06(?)

Considered an upgrade from a T28 for S14 and S15 owners

Can push 350-420HP

So... I would imagine it's a little smaller than a TD05 and therefore would spool faster but roll off in the top end.

And that's the end of me being a keyboard warrior, hopefully someone else can give you proper information :D

But for a 2L 4 banger, it sounds like the right sized turbo ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
TD05-20G and TD06-20G are both possible. Either way it has a bigger turbo that stock.

VR-4-PLAY

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dave
Drive
'02 Legnum Type V
yeh I used to have a 6G VR4, the standard turbo is a TD05H 14B, evos 1-3 had the TD05H 16G (about 350hp) and the 20G upgrade is usually a 16G turbo with the larger compressor wheel from the 20G good for round 400hp. The 20G is a pretty good upgrade ( i had one on mine before i sold it) and together with cams it was pretty quick!

Attachments

• Photo-0100e.jpg
    Photo-0100e.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PA190399a.jpg
    PA190399a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19
G

Unregistered
I used to have 3 early vr4' s.
The last turbo that I got was actually considered to be the best and that was a ported and clipped TD05 18c by turbonetics.
Never got to drive the car with the turbo but its now in the hands of one of the guys on the forum I think.
The 20g is a strong turbo but there are many different brands that may different 20g turbo and some are responsive and most are laggy and thats why best to go with a good 16g or the 18c or get a gt28 ballbearing from NZ for $699NZ and custom manifolds and that will haul ass.
Will need injectors, ecu and FMIC and a big exhaust to go with it all.Cams and a rebuilt motor is also pretty much the way to go.

G

Unregistered
thanks for all your info guys.. the car, along with the 20G turbo, had the following upgrades:

510 Yellow Injectors
Galant RS Gearbox
20G Turbo
Haltech E6X with closed loop boost controller + in cabin adjustment

the DOWNside to it all is that its currently running FWD mode (removed latch + bolt front side of gearbox to run 2WD) due to a rear axle or diff needing replacement.
We have a VR4 that is available to strip.. tho not sure what condition the rear axle is in, nor does the owner, but $400 for the damaged wreck - cant complain!

Would anyone be able to provide a rough estimate to how much a replacement/rebuild would cost?
..and, I'm just wondering if the car can still be used (sparingly), from point A to B, in 2WD mode until it gets fixed?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
20G is a reference to the size of the wheel in the turbo. I am not sure whether it refers to compressor or turbine.

saying the turbo is a "20G" is like saying you own a car. It could be a number of different sizes. TD03/4/5/6/7...

Top Bottom