turbo upgrade off ebay

G

Unregistered
Hey guys on ebay there are the TD04h / T28 turbos going for $440 for the pair.
Can anuone tell me if they are the same as the TD04's from the GTO or are they completely different.
I do mean different in power or are they pretty much the same as the GTO ones.
Much appreciated.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
that is a good price, and they will be able to flow 500hp together, but it is still a lot of work to get them into the car

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Adam

I am guessing these are the ones you are talking about.

Click here

$440US + $50 shipping = $530

Still seems like a good price. If only it were as easy as a straignt swap.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Someone has gotto manufacture a simple bolt-on turbo upgrade for these cars.

G

Unregistered
'simple' and 'upgrade' do not go in the same sentence when you talk about cars. :p

G

Unregistered
Is there a stock turbo rebuild option for our cars that will maybe help?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Is there a stock turbo rebuild option for our cars that will maybe help?

If you are really interested i'd contact GCG in Sydney, these guys overhaul and "produce" turbo's for autmotive and marine.

http://www.gcg.com.au/

They have done a number of upgrades to Skylines/silvia's/toyota's, I'd suggest talking to them if you're serious about upgrading.

The guys there are very approachable, just don't go in with hopes of 800hp or anything stupid. Be realistic with what you want to achieve.

I haven't seen what the Legnums/Galant turbo's look like, but they may be able to produce a high flow within the current housing's, but i'd speak to them first instead of guessing.

If i was going to mod the Leggy like i have my Sil80 and Skylines engines, this would be my first port of call. As it's the wife's car, all i'll be doing is basic things like cooler exhaust ECU etc i won't be going down this road.

G

Unregistered
Is it possible to get a turbo up grade for the 1993 HJ - V6 Galant at all???

V6 is good for awhile but getting bored with the engine..so if any one has any tips please hit me up...

cheers

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just get a HJ VR4 half cut.. transfer over everything.. including tranny.. and remove the transfer case (if removable, if not then lock it)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
Unless I am mistaken the HJ uses a 6a12??? If so I am sure you could fit 6a13 manifolds and turbos to the engine. Wether these will fit in the engine bay I have no idea.
Another option would be to contact CAPA about a super charger, imagine how sweet a screaming FTO 6a12 MIVEC fitted with a super charge would sound MMMMM:drool::drool:

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Quoting Valmes off club Vr4 "I think for the simplest, almost bolt on upgrade, you will have to source the cartridges from new BMW 335 installed TD03L-10TK3 (49131-07005) turbos and put them into the stock VR-4 turbo housings... they were proven to make a bit over 380hp on a BMW... that means they can SAFELY flow enough air for VR-4 to make the same power."

So i did a quick search on the net and found a pair that sold on ebay for US$266 about a month ago! I would have bought just to see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-BMW-335i-MHI-TD03L-10T-turbocharger-twin-turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ008QQitemZ180215534555

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
so the cartridges would go straight into our housings yeah? if this is the case then I'm on the hunt!

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
If I was going to bother (and lets face it, an auto wagon is never gunna be a race car) I wouldn't mess about. Get out the sledgie and go TD05

G

Unregistered
mine will eventually adopt a big single of some sort.

the V6 has enough torque to handle off boost, and once it hits boost, the AYC will cop a hiding. :D

it seems quite a hassle to try and low mount anything other than a TD04, so if the effort is going to be put in, i'd prefer to have a larger single turbo mounted where the airbox is, with a pod down in the battery area, run a dump pipe straight out behind the gearbox, and run new intake piping in the opposite direction from stock. out of the turbo, into the FMIC on the passenger side, out on the drivers side, up to the plenum with the throttle body re-located to the drivers side.

an idea i had going around in my head, was trying to find another VR4 plenum, and cutting/welding it so that instead of going over the back of the engine and the throttle facing to the right, have it come over the front of the engine, and have the throttle facing the left... however there could be some bonnet clearance issues, etc..

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
I have entertained the idea of a supercharger?
I dont think the 2.5 would hav a lot of torque if it wasn't for the two tiny turbos coming on so early, think it would be like 5000 before ya spooled a big single and it would have a massive lag issue IMHO

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Mitchy, have you seen Mpau's TD05 install then, that is exactly what he is doing.

Top Bottom