frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
There's two sounds. One which is a whirring sort of whine like you'd expect from spinning parts on acceleration the other is a higher pitch woooooo sound on deceleration. Noticeable above 60km/h. Very noticeable on the highway. Only started when the new clutch went in, had the engine mounts done at the same time so maybe that has amplified it in the cabin?

I've taken a very short video in which you can hear it but looks like I can't upload a video in Tapatalk..

Not sure if relevant but I remember my dads old work van used to make a similar sound off memory. It was a Suzuki carry that had been THRASHED by his staff since it was RWD and light.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
They put the right oil in the transfer case?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Poly engine mounts whine like you are describing.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
What type of clutch went in and what flywheel?

Still have my alternator whine even after the upgrade, though soft of expected given the state of the current audio install. :-(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Rubber mounts from Steve

NPC clutch kit (evo type) with lightweight billet flywheel from NPC - kit is made for a vr4, doesn't scrape.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
What Paulie said, and does it clunk at very low speed?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Dropped gearbox and transfer case oil and replaced with the penrite variety of the right stuff as per the oils thread yesterday afternoon too, still persists. I'm not sure what you mean by a clunk. Like a single clunk or a clunking, and is it something I would have noticed if it were there or something I need to listen out for specifically?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
When the diffs go they usually go clunk clunk clunk at low speed, like walking speed....

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Sounds like the noises my diff was making right before it went bang clunk clunk clunk :(

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
So is the front diff / transfer case one piece? How much do they go for?

On further testing the clutch in / out makes minimal difference to the sound. Only really noticeable over 60km/h though can be heard slightly while going slower. Same in neutral - makes me think it must definitely be the diff?
No clunking that I can hear - not even walking speed.

Also as for the timing being audible with the clutch change - could it be that since the new engine mounts and quieter varex exhaust went in I'm only just noticing it now?

How long after the sound did your diff go? :p I still have a few hundred km of highway driving to do over the next few days..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm with Paulie on this one, my money's on transfer case bearing.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
So is the front diff / transfer case one piece? How much do they go for?

On further testing the clutch in / out makes minimal difference to the sound. Only really noticeable over 60km/h though can be heard slightly while going slower. Same in neutral - makes me think it must definitely be the diff?
No clunking that I can hear - not even walking speed.

Also as for the timing being audible with the clutch change - could it be that since the new engine mounts and quieter varex exhaust went in I'm only just noticing it now?

How long after the sound did your diff go? :p I still have a few hundred km of highway driving to do over the next few days..

mine does exactly the same thing and has done since start of this year, hasn't really gotten any worse tho hmm better speed up my diff replacements

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Started to really notice the noise about 6 months ago.

Started to near what I thought was rear wheel bearing's wearing out about 2 weeks before it went bang.

marc mtp

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
marc
Drive
legnum
Hi changed just my front mount (old one had 10mm of rubber around the bolt) and I notice a whir more when cold had nothing before. Plus feel some vibes in cabin until warmed up

Top Bottom