Lifter Noises

G

Unregistered
Jamie, I would check if your oil is filled to the top, if not do so and see how that goes. If that doesn't work then I think your lifters/tappets are fubar'd

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
im almost at whits end with this car and am nearly ready to get it back to where it needs to be and sell it off...
Jamie, you need a bottle of Pro-Ma and a bowl of Migoreng
Smile bro.
Buy the Pro-ma, whack in half the bottle, start the car up and in three minutes, you'll be in love again :)

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
hi stephen, iv checked my oil levels and they are fine...

and i would love to put some pro-ma in it but i dont want to mask a problem if there is one there... incase it dies on me on day and im stuffed...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
and i would love to put some pro-ma in it but i dont want to mask a problem if there is one there... incase it dies on me on day and im stuffed...
Well in the meantime, use the Pro-Ma for now while you organise to get the lifters sorted? (I'm sure you thought of that already, but i'm just reminding you that there is hope our there for your loud-lifter case :))

By the way, there's small chance of your car dying on you because of your lifters.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
yea i realise that there is hope :) it does stop maybe after 15 mins or more of driving but tat the moment its making me so angry... when i did my oil change it would do it for 5 mins then stop and now its just gotten extremely bad and it seems to be gtting worse as the days go on

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
ok so i found the other more detailed lifter thread and had a read through about bleeding the lifters, im going to try this when i finish work and see how this resolves it, as i let it run for a fari bit this morning 5 mins before work, then drove to work which was 10 mins, sat for another 5 mins and still had a reasonbly loud tapping noise... is the bleeding stilll something everyone would recommend for me to do

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
i will try it, if it doesn do anything im just going to replace all the lifters, and waiste more money, there goes the new guitar and amp idea :(

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
replace all the lifters, and waiste more money, there goes the new guitar and amp idea :(

Sorry, but spending money to replace your lifters is not wasting it at all. Spending money on ProMa to take away your noise & masking the problem IS wasting money.
If they are that bad, then it's trying to tell you something mate.... Mine sounded like a diesel engine until I replaced them.

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
LOL brad your car does run like a diesel, i dont think even deisels blow that much smoke do they :-P

lol

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Sorry, but spending money to replace your lifters is not wasting it at all. Spending money on ProMa to take away your noise & masking the problem IS wasting money.
If they are that bad, then it's trying to tell you something mate.... Mine sounded like a diesel engine until I replaced them.
Hey Brad, aren't yours noisy again, but?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
how much am i looking at paying to replace them?
I've found aftermarket ones for under $14 each at trade price, but if you want the EASY option I believe Meek have them for not unreasonable money. Remember you need 24 for our DOHC V6s.

Oh and regarding the comment about not damaging the engine with lifter failure, once a lifter fails completely you'll get a fair bit of play between the cam and valve which could lead to the lifter actually breaking into pieces due to the excessive impact or bending the valve stem, neither of which will end happily. This is really substantial failure which you'd be hard pressed not to notice as the engine becomes very noisy, far more than the mild ticking we're used to hearing. I'd say this kind of failure is still rather unlikely but I'd hate to hear of anyone having it happen because they thought it couldn't.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hey Brad, aren't yours noisy again, but?

There's a little noise for a while, but nothing like the noise I was getting that forced me to get them done...

Mind you this was over a year ago now, & about 60,000+kms ago too...

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Mine have always been loud, one more oil change and engine flush and if no better i will replace them

Top Bottom