Lifter Noise

G

Unregistered
Is there a big difference between 5w40 and 5w30 in our cars?

i was going to buy valvoline fully synthetic 5w40 from my dealer yesterday but he told me that they have valvoline have stoped with that oil, because it had been exchanged by valvoline with their 5w30 because they fit more cars???

G

Unregistered
Okey i will try then.

Gearbox oil can you use 75w80 fully synthetic in the gearbox, isnt that the oil mitsubishi recommendes in the manual?

I know that people uses 75w85, 75w90 often but i get 75w80 for free and i want to know if that oil also works great in the gearbox of course the oil i get is gl4 speced only.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
If it is a manual box, make sure it is GL4 and NOT GL5, other than that you should be ok.

Davezj

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum VR-4
sorry haven't read this entire thread but it sound like you are a bit scared of change the lifters yourself.

this is a general comment and not aim at anyone. i changed my lifters and i probably took me 3 hours to do from start to finish and leisurely afternoon.

it is not difficult procedure and any body wants i can post up a procedure which is nicked from MLR which is carried out on and evo,very easy to follow.

all you need to get the lifters out and back in, once everything has been stripped off is a big screw driver to act as a leaver.

whatever you do, if you are handy with a spanner and you can remove the plenum chamber, which is what you need to do to change the spark plugs, do the job youself and save about £400 IN LABOUR.

CVR4 did a group buy and got the lifters for £140 a set. which is a boby bargin.

let me know about the procedure and i will post it up.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
My lifters were like a clock ticking away until I used Subaru Upper Engine cleaner then did an oil change and added some Roil Gold, as I just wanted to try it. Haven't heard a tick since this which was about 3000Km ago.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Matt, do you have a pic of this 'subaru upper engine cleaner' i've seen it/heard it alot from different boards.. are they that good of a cleaner?!

and most importatntly.. where did you buy it from?

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Subaru Upper Engine cleaner can be bought at any Subaru dealer for about $18. The boxer engines used by Subaru tend to get carbon build ups so they use this cleaner (I think each service) to clean the crap out. You just warm the engine up remove a vacum line and empty 1/2 the can in then let it sit for 5 minutes. The stuff is like a foam so it expands in the engine. After 5 Min start your car (It is very hard to start at first, give the accelerator a hit) and smoke will poor at the back for about 5 minutes. Don't worry this is normal, it is all the crap and cleaner coming out. The last half of the can, can then be sprayed while the engine is running. After give your car a good blast to clear it out and your done.

G

Unregistered
I'm experiencing this loud tapping noise from the engine bay.
Maybe lifters? Anyone else experiencing this? Or have you in the past?
What should I do?

It seems to happen when I first start her up and it's really loud.
As the motor warms up it becomes softer but is generally there most of the time.

HELP! =[

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Lifters man. Nearly everyone has that problem lol
I use Amsoil Oil and it works well to quieten down my lifters.
Also 2 in 1 lifter treatment from www.hillsmotorsport.com for Mitsubishi Evolution and VR-4 models works a treat (my personal favourite). Also Pro-ma is a popular product we use as well.
Search bro :D

Top Bottom