SA Mechanics

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
well looks like we found our man for vr4 servicing!

I went to him a few years ago with some work needed on my GSR - he did a great job with it and is really passionate about his mitsis.

I thought he was just doing a mobile service now...I guess he must still be at Pooraka.

Marc did you bring all the oils/fluids, or was he able to get them for you?

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
He does a mobile service and has a workshop in Pooraka...

G

Unregistered
Hey Gilly,
I supplied the gearbox oil and let Les pick the rest. I might get more interested in better oils next service, but at the moment with all the other costs I decided to go with whatever Les thought...

G

Unregistered
Hi Guys,
this is my first post, just started looking into a VR4 Legnum and was interested in the service support and aftermarket parts and problems that were prevalent in these vehicles.

I currently own a Subaru Liberty Gen3 GTB that I did the engine conversion on myself. Prior to doing the conversion I was looking at the following cars:
- Subaru Liberty GTB
- Nissan Stagea
- Mitsubishi Legnum
- Toyota Caldina

Pattern here being turbo AWD wagons. The Legnums weren't heaps prevalent here then so I went with the conversion myself.

I was looking into getting the work done at SnJ, and have since been bask asking about servicing and so forth. The liberty guys here in Adelaide have found similar to you, Sean is happy to work on WRX and EVO, but not on liberty/legacy (what the vehicles are called else where).

That said, a mate of mine had his S14 180 worked on at Turbo Tune and they did a really good job. I've been to Graham West (exhaust compliance for Regency conversion approval) and found them easy to deal with.

Apart from that all my mates and I do all the work on our cars ourselves.

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
AYC shenanigans & AMSOIL 0W-30 comin' right up...:)

Well, the AYC red warning light keeps coming on as soon move forward (and stays on), and I've checked the reservoir - it's full but dark- not really 'ruby' red, so I decided to let Les Haldane take a squizz...
I've booked it in for a flush/bleed next week and I'll let everyone know how it goes. He has the proper Mitsi AYC fluid ready to go- so no chance of using questionable oil- seems like a top bloke too! Stay tuned....:)

Also..went to see Kath Pavier to pick up some Amsoil 0W-30!(plus engine flush, Ea020 filter & SVG GL5 75W-90 for the diff and transfer case).

With it's first service coming up (since being a sleepy girl at the dealer yard/ auction yard / ship / my place), and hearing that compliance won't be changing engine oil ( or any running gear oil, probably) I better take care of it from the word go, so hopefully it'll take care of me..(it's making me poor though lol)
I mentioned I was member of the OzVR4 club and she gave a 5% discount -sweet as, sis ... Ask and ye shall receive!....but Mr. Swan keeps his GST..

She didn't have any manual trans GL4 oil , so I ended up getting some Castrol Syntrans 75W-85...apparently it's a synthetic manual trans oil recommended for the Galant VR4, Lancer GSR, 3000 GT and RX7's. It's GL4 spec and a step above VMX-80 so should be fine.
I'll do the engine/trans/ transfer/diff fluid changes myself, so for the absolute champs that have posted "How to's.." THANKS in advance, lads:D!

*Guys... Kath mentioned she'll be away for the next 2 months- therefore, she has asked the Lobethal distributor to handle all her orders until she gets back. So if you are wanting some AMSOIL gear, please keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Anthony

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
guys, just had my service done at Les Haldane Mechanical, pooraka. The car is smooth as now. Had engine service, transmission and AYC done. I just went with whatever fluids Les recommended as I dont have time to organise this myself or work out which is best. (off memory engine oil he used was a Shell 10w30 semi-synth.

Definately recommend him!
http://www.leshaldanemechanical.websyte.com.au/

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Can anyone reccomend who i would go to with a AWD dyno to tune up a haltech miniceptor?

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
I second that recommendation for Les Haldane. He did my AYC service & the diff oil change ( I brought along the Amsoil SVG GL5)- the price was very reasonable ( I don't think he charged me extra for the diff oil change). Honest, down to earth and doesn't overcharge. He mentioned having to do a clutch on a Legnum this week so he is familiar with our Vr4's.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Hey guys,

so is Les still located at Les Haldane Mechanical Repairs
7/ 93 Research Rd Pooraka???
According to the website posted he is at Gawler?

G

Unregistered
yep, i saw him this morning (drove next to his van on my way to work) and it had the pooraka address on it.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
yeh hes definately at same address at Pooraka. His website doesnt mention it, but his business cards do.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
He does mobile mechanics in Gawler but the head base is in Pooraka...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I rang him for a quote 2 weeks ago to get AYC serviced, and he told me his Pooraka address is the best place for that (ie. in the workshop) so definately there.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
This weekend I'll be visiting Steve Knight in Lonsdale to have my AYC service and also my transfer case fluid changed.

After speaking to him for a while today (and getting many rave reviews on EvolutionOz forums) I'm looking forward to catching up with him. Steve used to work at mitsubishi as an engineer and actually was part of the team that built the AWD magna. He was telling me they had a Jap 3L with the W5A51 auto box, which they bolted the box onto the magna 3.5L, and hacked up the floorpan of a normal Magna to take the AWD gear, then presented the idea to management. The whole concept was done in their own time, just using some spare parts from Mitsi Japan!

He is an awesome guy to talk too and DEFINATELY know's his Mitsi's. He has been racing Evo's for many years, both Tarmac & Rally, and has the ability to re-map evo 4-9 ECU's - so he's going to suss out the ECU as well to see if re-mapping is a posibility. From what I understand he has had a LOT of experience with Mitsi proprietry software, working on Many ECU's of all models since the 90's, and acutally was part of a team testing a Legnum back in the early 90's at the local test track for Mitsubishi Japan (100,000km testing). He said he's looking forward to seeing/driving the Legnum.

Nice bloke, will report back post saturday ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds like a good guy to know! Did you ask him why they used TD03's on Legnums?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
No I didnt ask him that - but I'll find out if he had anything to do with the development or they were simply asked to test one out on the track. He did mention in the late 80's they had a Galant ZR4 for evaluation and he loved it, but one of the other test drivers lost control hit a rock, rolled it and destroyed it (wrote it off) LOL

like this one:
3925839.jpg

3925848.jpg

Top Bottom