What day for the home mechanics day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
There will be some shade, depends on the time of the day. Morning there is not a lot but from midday on it should be fine. I would suggest that all SLIP, SLOP & SLAP! I will be wearing my 'working around home attire' which consists of long pants and a long sleeve shirt. I hate getting burnt.

Or we could all invite our partners to hold shades for us while we work but i know what my wife would say to that *SLAP*[/quote]

Hmmmm cant we work something out???????

606_R02_girl_grid--article_image.jpg

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Might be an idea for someone to bring a charged up laptop as well so we can get any guides/info we might need off here. I'd bring mine but the battery is totally crapped out.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I have my office out the front of the shop where i am "working" now lol

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'll be doing gearbox fluid.

This is all pending me not putting my car into the wall at QR tomorrow :) * touch wood *

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
if you do that Lee, I'd say there'll be some fluids inside the car that you may need to attend to first......

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Now i know why everyone wanted you to be here for this, you are a champ. Thanks heaps mate!!

I've never really flushed my own AYC - had APC to bleed it.. but I do know that the actuators were responding to my request via evoscan..

christian, this needs the tactrix cable to do doesn't it? I've got evoscan and a modified ebay cable.

I bought the evoscan v2.5 (upgraded to 2.6) and data cable (obd II and extra connector, white in color)

like i stated above, the software allows me to control the actuators..

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I checked it all out tonight, the Openport 1.3 cable which is what I've got can be modified to work the AYC and ABS

G

Unregistered
whoa! this sounds very cool. i need to do my AYC so i'll come geared up. can also bring my laptop if necessary. and jamie!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS PARTICULAR DAY DOING YOUR INTERCOOLER! when we did mine, we were in a workshop, car on hoist from 4.30pm til 2.30AM! Trev, you're right, the front bar is a MAJOR pain and if yours is big you'll need time/tools to "modify" your crash bar. all coming from firsthand experience. =]

see you all there. can't guarantee I'LL be getting down and dirty but the BF will. Heh. and no, I'm not providing shade or alcohol or bbq. *points to Mortz*

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Im just a newbee but really keen as well to come along i have a ssq bov and bigger intercooler to install and would appreciate all the help possible

Jamie.. if you plan on doing this on the same day.. I think it can be done within 3 hours..

1 hour for swearing the hell ouf of yourself for trying it on this particular day.. THIS IS A MUST DO!!
1 hour for removing and putting back your bumper
1 hour for nstalling your cooler and fitting back the crash bar..

tools you'll need for this job..

1x 10mm deep (very deep) 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" drive socket (your preference, but for me 3/8" just to tighten up the hose clamps)
1X 1/4" drive flexible extension.. you'll need this to reach into the bumper bolts.. (preferrably 1/4" as well as 10mm socket as the space is sort of limited)
1x 12mm socket 3/8" (deep socket) -- can't quite remember if its 12mm or 14mm for the crash bar
1x 14mm socket 3/8" (deep socket)
1x 3" extension (3/8" drive - this is to remove your crash bar)
1x 6" extension (for removing the bumper - 1/4" drive)
1x 3/8" drive ratchet
1x 3/8" drive handle (for loosening up tight bolts/nuts)
2x screw drivers ( + and -)
1x hacksaw or stanley knife
1x grinder with 1.5mm thick cutting blade (preferrably the 100mm ones as you can hold it easier)
1x power source.. (I think Trevor's got this sorted out)
20m length extension lead..
1x power drill (cordless/corded your choice)
drill bits (dunno what size - I used 8mm ones i think)

Accessories needed..

bolts, washers and nuts to suit each other (when you mount up your cooler
8x hose clamps --> 2.5" to use on your factory hard pipes.. reason for 8 we wont know if the clamps are very good in quality
hoses - you can use your old ones we'll just have to hack it up in 2 pieces :D
1x white marker pen
1x ruler..

what is the size of your cooler? if its 300mm high.. then a grinder is a MUST TOO!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I got a set of new iridium spark plugs guys, easy enough job to do on the day?

Apparently takes around three hours. The only thing you may need to buy is liquid gasket just in case you mess up the manifold gasket. I could be wrong though, someone with more experience may correct me.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Apparently takes around three hours. The only thing you may need to buy is liquid gasket just in case you mess up the manifold gasket. I could be wrong though, someone with more experience may correct me.

which gasket are you talking about?

from memory there are no plastic/rubber gasket on the plenum except for that black coated metal gasket (dunno what it's called)

Mortz, I believe that if you have 2 extra set of hands you can get the job quicker.. is your car auto or manual?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
also i got spare set (6) of sparkplug seals that you guys might be interested in buying..

thanks to Peter Thomson (UK) for supplying them..

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
which gasket are you talking about?

from memory there are no plastic/rubber gasket on the plenum except for that black coated metal gasket (dunno what it's called)

I was talking about what ever gasket goes between the manifold and block. I have never done it myself just from what i remember reading.

Mortz, I believe that if you have 2 extra set of hands you can get the job quicker.. is your car auto or manual?

Auto.

G

Unregistered
Howdy all!! :D

Ill be joining in on all the fun (and bleeding)..... Its prob about time i did something lol!! I can be an extra pair of hands if anyone need it. Need to do some work on my car but for now i think ill just take notes from the gurus

Cheers,
Dan

G

Unregistered
Be great to have you along. What have you planned for your car?

Thanks Trevor :) I havent planned anything really but she needs the AYC and auto tranny serviced, plugs changed and i want to try improve the current pod filter problem (i hate the beeping thing!!) My attempts to locate a factory airbox & snorkel have met with failure.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Well that makes at least two of us attempting an AYC service. Also with the plugs, if you, Lee & Luke all change plugs we could do all three at once.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Thanks Trevor :) I havent planned anything really but she needs the AYC and auto tranny serviced, plugs changed and i want to try improve the current pod filter problem (i hate the beeping thing!!) My attempts to locate a factory airbox & snorkel have me with failure.

have you got things you need? like the filter kit (includes, sump cork gasket, filter, and of course oil.. if you wanna flush it.. you'll need approximately 10 liters to flush out the old oil..

G

Unregistered
have you got things you need? like the filter kit (includes, sump cork gasket, filter, and of course oil.. if you wanna flush it.. you'll need approximately 10 liters to flush out the old oil..

Hey Christian,

I havent bought anything to do the above mentioned jobs on my car yet which is why ill just come to lend a hand and take notes.... but she will be one of the guinea pigs at the next mech day (y)

Thanks,
Dan

Top Bottom