Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yeah said he only got it by the quart?

might be cheaper for shipping?

our cars only usually take about 4.5l anyway i find?

Lee was it series 2000 oil?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
5L or 5 quart bottles what's it matter?

Where talking 300ml of oil here.... that part which you don't use in the end of a 5L bottle you won't have to worry about now.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
having that extra liter is a like a security in case your car is sorta chewing up oil.. :D

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
We had a magna that used to do that and if my VR4 started going that way I would be VERY unhappy :/

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just an update for the WA guys - sadly Dean passed away last week (I'm in freaken shock, I was just there talking to him a couple of weeks ago), so if you want any Amsoil products you'll have to get them from SA now. Such a tragic loss as what Dean didn't know about engines probably wasn't worth knowing :( He was a really friendly, helpful, generous guy and I've already expressed my condolences to his family.

On the subject of Amsoil products, I rather desperately need some 75W90 GL4 and coolant, as I ran out of each halfway through refilling my car. If anyone has some spare please let me know as this is now keeping my car off the road :(

G

Unregistered
That's a real shame to hear Trev, I too only saw him a couple of weeks ago.

RIP

Bit annoying about having to order Amsoil from SA now, it was hard enough driving all the way to Maddington.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
My feedback - 3,500kms of using TSO 0W-30 and the lifter noise is now worse than it was on Motul 8100 Xcess after almost 4,500 kms. Not overly impressed for a 60% price increase.

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
Intersting you should make that comment Lee, Im currently tossing up between buying Motul or Amsoil for my next service, my mechanic recomends Motul, because its what most of the Jap drift guys etc use but he hasnt heard of Amsoil.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I had Motul 8100 in my car; when fresh the lifters took about 5-10 seconds to quiet down after a cold start, by the time I hit 5000 kms this had blown out to a good 2 to 3 minutes.

Amsoil is in there now, and the lifters usually take less than a second to quiet, but a couple times it's taken about 20 seconds. Only done about 500 kms though.

I dunno about the 60% price increase though - I paid $85 for the Motul and $74 for the Amsoil!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Mookers - I was impressed with amsoil at first, the initial startup had no ticking, but they were slighly noisier when running compared to Motul. The Motul did seem to have 1-2 secs of ticking when cold but better when running warm. I think this MAY have been contributed to the viscosity, as being a 40 weight it would have been thicker and resulted in less bleed down when warm. However, as overall performance I noticed very little difference and dont think it justifies the additional cost.

As for price, I've picked up Motul 8100 Xcesson special (which I can regularly find it on special) for $55 and amsoil was $88 when I purchased it through local SA workshop (Mildrens) as Kath was not avialable to sell it at the time.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm sure you're already aware, but just for those who don't make sure the oil is topped right up to the full mark to avoid / eliminate lifter ticking. These cars are VERY sensitive to oil volume, even Amsoil won't fix that.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
price update on ATF for SA buyers

"I have cartons of ATF each containing 2 x 5 litre bottles, the price is $155.16 per carton, less your discount , plus GST . Before coming, it would be preferable if you could ring me on 8388 5294 to make an appointment.

Trust this will be a help to you.

Regards, Kath"

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I got quoted of $180 for 2 x 5ltrs less discount from Peter Crossing at Broken Bay.

Also, anyone here actually used the amsoil SDF44 oil filter? Peter ran out of stock of EaO20 oil filter. Is there anymuch difference?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I probably should have ordered an oil filer when I ordered my amsoil. I'll just hit up the local spares place for one.

As far as oils aint oils. The scientific research they have done pretty much say that a full synth oil is hard to distinguish performance wise from other fully synth.

This is from meauring the absolute viscosity or some chemical property at regular intevals on the same engines after X hours of use.

A lot of my friends run car oil in our motorbikes because bike oil is at least a 50% premium on car oil. A lot of it is marketing black magic and not a big difference in oils.

As far as amsoil making a difference or not or motul being better. Motul is a great example of an over priced bike oil by the way.... Maybe your lifters are just getting worn out?

Top Bottom