Amsoil specific oil feedback

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hugh I agree that my lifters are getting worn out. The point I'm making is there are many posts here and on Club VR4 saying "Amsoil made them so much quieter and my engine run smoother". I believe in my opinion that it is purely placebo effect as I have noted ZERO benefit for the higher price. I'm pointing out that the "magical amsoil" doesnt always work, and in my case made the lifter noise worse.

Amsoil (or any oil for that matter) was never going to improve the condition of the lifter, just make the noise less noticeable.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
True enough man.

Having your oil filled to the full mark does make sense though for making a difference, more oil circulating or whatever would make a difference.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yep I just received an invoice for 5L ATF + 5L 0W30 = $187.65

That does include $17.55 freight.

AND the 0W30 lid wasn't on tight so I've lost about 0.5L of it.

Anyhow i'm going to call them and see if I can send it back. Considering the price it's not worth it for me.

I hardly ever get lifter noise anyhow. For some odd reason Kath couldn't tell me a price over the phone... If she had said $76 for the 0W30 and 78 for the ATF I probably wouldn't have ordered.

G

Unregistered
hey guys,

as per feedback, this stuff is not something you can just pop down to autobarn and purchase.
so i'm wondering if any of you can help me...
i'm doing an oil change tomorrow and would like to get my hands on the amsoil 0w30 or 5w30 at the least by then.

what are my chances??
any ideas??

=\

G

Unregistered
My thoughts are only use the amsoil in winter here as its getting so hot now so you might want something a little thicker like the Penrite Sin 0 for those hot days.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
My thoughts are only use the amsoil in winter here as its getting so hot now so you might want something a little thicker like the Penrite Sin 0 for those hot days.
Is that (Penrite Sin 0) 0w50??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
We did a full service on my bro's GTO last weekend, 8,000km since last change using Penrite Sin and his lifters were NASTY :banghead:

With new plugs, leads belts and oil he noticed substantial improvement, which is good. But seeing the colour of his cam gear I'm glad I'm using Amsoil in my car...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
never going back to Penrite or Pennzoil, for some reason I feel that they're not suited for our engines...

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
The AMSOIL supplier in QLD has changed the following is an email from the new dealer

Hi Peter;
Thanks for your inquiry on AMSOIL products ,your account as follows-
1x ATM5L @ $88.09
1XEAO44 @ $34.48
Plus Freight and handling
Let me no if you want to proceed with order ,along with your address Regards Carl.
Carl Hyland
Parts & Logistics Manager
Enginecare Systems Australasia P/L
P O Box 2738
Nerang QLD 4211

Unit 12 Mudgeeraba Industrial Park
30 Mudgeeraba Road
Gold Coast 4213

Ph 1300 774 662
fax 07 55306 300
mob 0458 256 693
email parts@enginecare.com.au
www.enginecare.com.au

Don't know about the rest of you but that price is a fair bit more than the last time I brought some.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Of course - it's directly impacted by the exchange rate. With the dollar currently trading at US64c Amsoil products should go up ~33%. You should see the cost of IT gear now :banghead:

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Of course - it's directly impacted by the exchange rate. With the dollar currently trading at US64c Amsoil products should go up ~33%. You should see the cost of IT gear now :banghead:

What the guy didn't do was offer any sort of incentive. All he said was Ross sold the business because he was to nice a guy and was selling the stuff to cheap. Well I don't think that's a good way to speak to a prospective customer. You don't bag on the previous owner, then pronounce a price which is almost double. You got to bullshit the customer first, do some selling, explain that costs have gone up, the dollar is down etc etc.
Then you screw them for the price increase.
As for the cost of IT gear all I can say is "start selling body parts"

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As for the cost of IT gear all I can say is "start selling body parts"
LOL I don't need to buy anything, I sell it. It's just crazy that there are many components that are 80% MORE than they were six months ago, when they'd usually be ~15% cheaper over a similar time frame.

Oh and I'm more concerned at Carl's rather rudimentary grasp of the English language... You can't expect someone to have particularly refined business ethics when they're doing so poorly at something so fundamental :banghead:

G

Unregistered
We did a full service on my bro's GTO last weekend, 8,000km since last change using Penrite Sin and his lifters were NASTY

With new plugs, leads belts and oil he noticed substantial improvement, which is good. But seeing the colour of his cam gear I'm glad I'm using Amsoil in my car...

It would be interesting to see what the lifters look like next oil change. Is this the first time your’ve seen his lifters? I mean if the lifters have been bad for a while and are already discoloured I think old oil no matter what sort it is will look dirty.

When I drained my last lot of amsoil less than 5000k’s it was really dark like any other oil.
I do agree though a fresh lot of amsoil does feel good, but still ticked after oil flush and fresh amsoil. Proma has fixed the tick though.

Another question would amsoil be suitable for a track day? (as its so thin)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Lots of UK members have done a lot of track time in VR-4's with Amsoil, including around the 'ring.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Oh and I'm more concerned at Carl's rather rudimentary grasp of the English language... You can't expect someone to have particularly refined business ethics when they're doing so poorly at something so fundamental :banghead:

At least he knew what a Legnum was. Guy sounded like a Kiwi. Which probably explains why he knew the car.

Interested to know if the re-sellers in other states have increased there prices also. Or was "Carl" right and was Ross selling to cheaply.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
When I drained my last lot of amsoil less than 5000k’s it was really dark like any other oil.
I do agree though a fresh lot of amsoil does feel good, but still ticked after oil flush and fresh amsoil. Proma has fixed the tick though.

Another question would amsoil be suitable for a track day? (as its so thin)

Currently looking at doing the amsoil and proma combo on Mel's car as it's ticking like a cartoon style bomb about to go off. Although after I told Mel about the price increase she's thinking twice about the amsoil.

I can't complain as I've had NO ticking from my car at all. But I must point out that it wasn't ticking before I did the amsoil change in mine.
Because it's so common I'm putting that down to just plain dumb luck.

Top Bottom